T1no

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

Ya. Seen this on CNN quite a while back. It is really cool how well it can balance and a lot of it's movement make me think of a real animal. The problem I keep coming back to though is that while it can clearly keep walking (or even running?!) pace with a human on a flat, dry, stable surface but on an unstable surface like snow, sand, etc. the human would quickly out pace it even at just a walking speed. If that would be rectified (larger feet?) and the logistics aren't too crazy (battery life? initial cost?) then it may be useful equipment for soldiers. I think that is what it's original design purpose was anyways. A M252 81mm mortar weighs 94 lb + 24 rounds (10 lb per round) would fit with the 340lb payload shown in the video. It would turn an M252 mortar team into a much more mobile solution.

EDIT: Wiki page --> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BigDog

.....in the hopes that it will be able to serve as a robotic pack mule to accompany soldiers in terrain too rough for conventional vehicles. Instead of wheels or treads, BigDog uses four legs for movement, allowing it to move across surfaces which would defeat wheels.

Edited by kuhla

So at work today, this kinda normal/nerdy looking guy walks in and is looking for wedding rings. I was half paying attention, working on the computer/browsing when all of a sudden I hear the dethklok themesong...

I thought I was going crazy but it turns out it was his ringtone lol... I almost asked him if "he liked coffee, from the hills of columbia..." but decided against it