Tactically Inept

Cell Phones & Service

kuhla

I'm not sure from your link if you realize but the XZs is not in the XZ line; it is a slightly newer release. XZs has a better camera and more RAM. Debatable if it's worth the roughly $100 price difference.

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?&idPhone1=8804&idPhone2=8599&idPhone3=8313

XZ1 is the latest coming out and it looks to be spec wise almost identical to XZs.

• Replies 941
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know sony has serious issues with branding stuff but what the fuck is that.  There's XZ, XZs, XZ1, XZ Premium, XZ1 Compact...  No wonder people appreciate Apple and Samsung's branding. 

The real question is if it's worth it to stay on project fi if you decide to upgrade to an unsupported device.  My gut instinct is that it's not super worth it, but I've gotten very used to the hangouts/sms integration.  I'm not so sure I want to give that up.
I really don't want to dig deep into that discussion in our group... it's a non-starter. 

As if I needed more proof about OEMs being trash with android upgrades here's a fun little story from Motorola.

http://wccftech.com/moto-g4-lineup-refused-oreo-update/

tl;dr - moto 4g(+) had advertising about updating to android 8.0, then the marketing team scrubs all these ads and acts like they never said that.  "Although the moto 4g has received their 'one major version update' when they were updated to android 7.0 we will go ahead and look into updating to 8.0 - also since this is 'unplanned' it's going to take time."  I read that last part as "we'll put it on the roadmap" or ETA - no goddamn clue. 

Sadly this is exactly what I expect from every single OEM, you're lucky if you get 1 major software update, and security patches are most likely few and far between, if at all. 

"And Here is the Pixel 2 XL in Black and White, Starting at $849"

source - http://www.droid-life.com/2017/09/19/google-pixel-2-xl-exclusive/

It's just rumor/leak news but, if its true, screw that.

"Here is the Pixel 2 in “Kinda Blue,” White, and Black – Starting at $649"

source - http://www.droid-life.com/2017/09/19/google-pixel-2-kinda-blue-price/

Ok I guess that's $LIGHTLY more palatable but $till......

$850 is too much, especially because I haven't heard anything about water resistance or any other premium features. 

The pixel 2 has a more "traditional" flagship price, it's probably right at the limit of what I would consider acceptable.

I need to see some reviews and camera samples.  If they've managed to beat the original pixel's camera quality I'll be impressed.

So Google bought Motorola, did fuckall with it and sold it off.  Now they're buying HTC, but HTC wants to keep their non-cellphone IP and name (mostly vive stuff) and continue doing that instead of phones. 

I'd love to say that this makes no sense, but considering this is Google - I full expect them to acquire HTC, build 1-2 mediocre devices, sell them off and then create a brand new messenger app that's proprietary and only sends/receives morse code over NFC. 

Double post time. 

The Moto X4 is coming to project fi, just like the rumors.  Here's the interesting stuff
Source: https://www.androidcentral.com/moto-x4-coming-project-fi-first-android-one-device-us

You'll also get access to the latest updates from Android, such as Android Oreo before the end of the year. Android One moto x4 will also be among the first to receive an upgrade to Android P.

And with free high quality storage from Google Photos, you never have to worry about running out of space.

The Android One moto x4 will receive timely security updates and built-in malware protection from Google Play Protect, working around the clock to keep your device, data and apps safe.

The Android One moto x4 is priced at $399, comes in Super Black and Sterling Blue, and is available only in the U.S. on Project Fi's network for pre-order on the Project Fi website starting today. If you've got an older Nexus phone and want to trade it in for a new device, we're making it easier than ever with our new trade-in program. We'll give you up to $165 for select Nexus devices, and if you start your trade-in by October 5, you'll earn an extra $50 Fi credit.

Two major things that caught my eye were the unlimited google photos storage, that was previously only on pixel phones, looks like anything sold on project fi is going to get that treatment now, that's kinda nice. 

The trade in program sounds very interesting.  If they carry this over to the new pixel 2 devices that might make upgrading less expensive.  That would be really neat.  I guess we'll find out October 5th.  I'll edit this post when the project fi website updates with the new info and possible trade in prices.  I assume the Nexus 6P gets $165 credit I hope the 5X is $120+ but who knows...

EDIT:

Alright so my estimate was actually pretty close it's $115 trade in credit for a 32gb Nexus 5 with a working screen (no cracks).  Source
You can also trade in other non-nexus devices. 

Here's the offical announcement from Google about the X4: https://www.blog.google/products/project-fi/project-fi-welcomes-android-one-moto-x4/

https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/21/16343342/google-htc-deal-apple-iphone-war

Looks like Google is going forward and buying HTC.  People are saying this is "nothing like when they bought motorola."  I'm not entirely convinced but it seems like they've made a much more aggressive move towards being a hardware company than previously.  I sincerely hope this mean that the newer pixel 3/4 phones won't look like garbage and will actually compete on hardware with LG and Samsung. 

19 hours ago, Malaphax said:

My understanding is their trade in program is available on all phones with the google/project fi store.  So you can apply your trade in to the current pixels or the new ones when they come out. 

The more I think about this, the more palatable it makes this upgrade.

$650 (pixel 2 64gb non-xl)

-$115 (5x 32gb trade in)

total: $535 (before tax, ship, fees)

We've posted about the essential phone in this thread previously. 

I love the design of the essential.  I think it's the best looking smartphone currently available.  But it's absolute garbage in every other area. 

• Camera - Garbage.  They've desperately tried to update the software and even with all that, people have found better results sideloading google's pixel camera.  That speaks volumes...
  • Updates - Garbage.  They haven't released security or version updates to 8.0.  They mentioned that these updates would be "fast" but they've also said that they expect 8.0 to release "sometime before the end of the year"
  • Water resistance. - Nope.  They couldn't get proper ip certification, and they claim that it's "resistant" but I sincerely doubt it is considering the lack of certification. 
  • Headphone Jack - Nope.  I know this isn't a unique problem, but it's worth mentioning. 

Honestly I hope they find some level of success, but I've heard they're bleeding engineers and that sales haven't been great.  I also hope that the Google/HTC design team shamelessly copies much of their design, because I really like it that much.  It's too bad the software support is currently non-existent and the camera is trash. 

• 2 weeks later...

Google's presentation was expected but it had some cool moments. 

• Their translation demo was super impressive. 
  • I'm still not sure about "always on" services and their claim that the always listening 'now playing' system on google phones isn't dialing home.  I'd like to see a demo of that in airplane mode and see how big their local database is, maybe it's just a top 1M songs or something and more obscure music won't match?
  • All these smart earbuds and wireless headphones are super expensive.  I think google is selling one of the cheaper products at $159.  I wonder how good the sound quality really is or if this is more gimmick focused. 
  • While the vast majority of the phone features were leaked - It's still nice to see a few decent demos of their stabilization and camera.  I expect that the pixel 2 will reign supreme in the smartphone camera market until the pixel 3 launches next year. 
    • Size comparison is very similar to the 5x and 6p
  • I think it's a bit silly that Google still thinks putting a "beta" of google-lens on the pixel line to try and drum up exclusivity.  I'm sure it will roll out to everything else within 3 months. 

Let's see how good/bad the pre-order systems handle the demand.  Last few times Project Fi had a separate inventory for stock, so hopefully that's true again this year.

I'm trying to do the math on this.

Currently:

$43 - Average Project Fi bill over the last 10 months.
$11 - Netflix monthly

The t-mobile netflix fine print has this "Receive Netflix Standard 2-screen (up to $9.99/mo. value) while you maintain 2+ qual’g T-Mobile ONE lines in good standing. See full terms" so I don't think I can count on getting that cost savings.

Jezzzuusss this site is annoying as hell to navigate. Can I get a simple table showing plans side by side PLEASE? Ok sort of found one ( https://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-plans#compareplans )

So the Pixel promo requires "T-Mobile ONE or select Simple Choice Unlimited plan" (fine print).

So it's $75 for the ONE Prepaid plan? That's not as cheap as I thought.

That increase in monthly cost over my current average monthly bill (assuming my data use also stays about average) would eat into the $350 discount within 11 months and then I'm just paying more per month with no real added features.

Hmmmm. I'll try to do a little more research on this but this doesn't seem so great anymore.

I looked into this when Tino linked it in group chat.  For an individual there is no cost savings.  For a group 2-4 people on the same plan it works out better. 
T-mobile is trying their very best to only offer One plan, all of their prepaid stuff is treated as second class in just about every way. 

https://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-plans

I'm somewhat interested in t-mobile is going to bump their credit for netflix or if everyone is now going to be on the hook for $1.  I know they mention that they charge your entire netflix bill to the account so if you have a fancier plan you need to pay the difference. 

I'll probably end up swapping onto my parents T-mobile plan because it makes sense, but I"ll do the final math before I make the plunge.  I still think the breakeven point is less than 18 months (at least for me), but I haven't seen anything about a 2 year commitment, I believe they got rid of their yearly contracts (with the exception of phone financing).

I'm somewhat concerned about are losing the hangouts SMS feature, I happen to use that quite a bit.  I'm sure there's some minor issues I might run into but the credit from T-mobile is worth the slight inconvenience. 

the hangout features i think if you jump out you just get a google voice number and you still get those sms on hangouts.

whichever way you do it. you still get those msg.

i would move keep your number as a google voice number and get new number on tmobile.

or the other way around get new google voice number and port your number to tmobile. but you have to tell those people your new google voice number in order for you to keep receiving text on hangout.