Tactically Inept

Games and Gaming News

Malaphax

I feel like we need something similar to a post anything thread in games, so that we can post small tidbits of gaming news or thoughts on games that we don't really want to start a thread for.

So within the past 2 days I was looking around on the internet and found 2 games I hadn't really heard of:

Nuclear Dawn: Looks very similar to a couple source mods a long while back. Just a bit higher quality. Looks kind of interesting, kind of a varient of the natural selection type of gameplay. Except humans only.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/17710/?snr=1_4_4__13

Syndicate: Looks like a re-imagining of a very old game. Reminds me of deus ex but with less rpg and more shooting (not a bad take). Cyberpunk always gets me at least a little interested. Also skrillex music lol.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Damn it, why'd they have to make Syndicate an FPS, I was totally hoping for a tactical squad based RTS. I spent many summer nights playing the original Syndicate and it was one of my favorites of my childhood. One Peter Monolyneux (SP?) creations I think along with all the other Bullfrog Production games. Man I miss the 90s.

• 2 weeks later...

Mechwarrior Online announced.

Reactor Online. Weapons Online. All systems nominal.

I understand what he is saying in terms of integrating more tactical/information-based mechanics. In the canon (both novels and technical sourcebooks) there was always a heavy emphasis put on sensors, command and control, etc. but this wasn't really realized in the games. The biggest teamwork I ever say happen was attaching NARC (homing/spotting) beacons on enemies and then someone else finished them.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm debating if I should buy skyrim on steam, and also if I should buy saint row 3. From what I've seen of skyrim it doesn't impress me, I'm sure it's very expansive and I've enjoyed each bethesda rpg I've played, but that being said, I'm not sure it's worth the 60 bucks...

Then there's saints row 3 which every video has made me more interested. The game looks ridiculous, and relatively high quality. But that being said, I've never really been into proper "sandbox" games like that, and I have no idea if I would end up playing the game for a while and getting bored quickly.

I'm debating if I should buy skyrim on steam, and also if I should buy saint row 3. From what I've seen of skyrim it doesn't impress me, I'm sure it's very expansive and I've enjoyed each bethesda rpg I've played, but that being said, I'm not sure it's worth the 60 bucks...

Then there's saints row 3 which every video has made me more interested. The game looks ridiculous, and relatively high quality. But that being said, I've never really been into proper "sandbox" games like that, and I have no idea if I would end up playing the game for a while and getting bored quickly.

I consider both of those games along with ES4:Oblivion to be sandbox games. I got some very short term enjoyment out of ES4 which I would probably consider my only real sandbox experience. Over the long term I lost interest kind of fast because it felt very repetitive. However, I really feel I understand the concept of why those games are fun. I'm slightly more inclined to skyrim than saints row 3 but overall there is a slim to none chance I'll buy either. Perhaps a steam sale someday.

• 3 weeks later...

I got into the blacklight retribution beta. Some initial thoughts considering I only played 2 rounds or so.

The game client is overwhelming. There are about 50 types of customizations you can choose for anything in the game, and of course it's not clearly explained how they work, what they do etc...

You have skill points as well, and then you also have different weapons you can unlock, but I think they went the bf heroes approach and made everything temporary unlock (which is completely bullshit). I need to double check how this all turns out but so far it looks like it's going to be a free to play mess.

The gun mechanics are very unresponsive. Your aim is perfect right up until you pull the trigger and then it can vary from good to all over the place. The HRV is as useful as you'd think, campers will hate this game. The hardsuit is funky. I've managed to circle strafe one to death, and I've also managed to get 1 shot out of one by another hard suit, so I have no idea how that all works. The very brief tutorial doesn't show you anything except basic movement commands.

I like the concept of this game, and I like the visuals, but so far the gunplay is pretty shitty and the free to play bullshit is here in full force. I'll keep it around and check it out a few more times but unless I figure some of this out a bit better or some serious patches start coming through, I have a feeling I'll probably pass on this when it releases.

Got into the tribes ascend beta along with brian. So far it plays pretty well. It looks like you can unlock different class loadouts with "tokens" which you earn at a rather slow pace (somewhere around 70 per game) each unlock can vary from 5000 to around 10000. Most people are using the base classes though.

The game plays pretty much the exact same as the original, just with much less variety right now. I have a feeling the further into the beta/release the more diversity in classes/weapons will appear.

I played a lot of platform games in my day, but I really do not miss them. Much prefer the shoot 'dem up's of Battlefield 3 today. I really do miss a good space simulator, or good RTS that focuses more on resource management than the crazy build as much as you can as fast as you can nowadays. RTS games are too fast pace to be fun for me now. A good 4x strategy game is also rare, Sins of a Solar was pretty good except that was a bit too basic and a little too slow paced.

We need Homeworld 3 damn it.

looks a little too similar to super meat boy

....which is fine... I liked that game even though I never finished it because I couldn't get past a certain level. I do wonder at times if that was because I was on a keyboard and every single loading screen was telling me I should use a controller.

• 3 weeks later...

http://store.steampowered.com/app/102500/

Uh Oh, looks like EA is starting to lift their ban on steam. I know this isn't one of their AAA titles, but it's still being put on steam (albeit for $60 no price break). I wonder if this might be a sign of the times to come. The real test will be mass effect 3 in march. Let's see if that shows up on steam.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/102500/

Uh Oh, looks like EA is starting to lift their ban on steam. I know this isn't one of their AAA titles, but it's still being put on steam (albeit for $60 no price break). I wonder if this might be a sign of the times to come. The real test will be mass effect 3 in march. Let's see if that shows up on steam.

I thought I saw the other day that it will require origin but I guess we can wait and see.