Sign in to follow this  
Malaphax

Games and Gaming News

kuhla   

Not that anything has changed but the art style still looks pretty fantastic. I hope it's successful.

kuhla   

source - https://www.engadget.com/2017/08/26/dishonored-death-of-the-outsider/

Since Billie doesn't get her powers from the Outsider -- the mysterious, god-like figure who seems to be manipulating everything in the series -- she has a slightly different relationship with them. For one, she doesn't have to worry about stockpiling magic potions; instead, she relies on cooldown timers. So while you'll still have to be careful about when to use your powers, you can still use them more freely than before, with the confidence that they'll be back in a few seconds.

Having played only a limited amount of one of the Dishonered games, the first one, I have to say the "old" system bugged me and this sounds like a huge improvement.

Malaphax   

They also mentioned that she's not limited by the zero kill policy that is encouraged in the base game.  There is no good/bad ending based on the number of kills or chaos you generate.  So you can go full sadist and just wreck everything in front of you.  I expect that you can play it more stealth or more aggressive, I'm curious how they balance that. 

I do find it funny that this DLC strongly implies a "bad" ending happened to Billy - because in the second game you do get the option of changing history and making sure she does not loose her eye and arm.  The only other game I can think of that's based off the bad ending is xcom2 which assumes you lost the first xcom, because they looked at win-rates and determined that most players did lose. 

kuhla   
4 minutes ago, Malaphax said:

I'm curious how they balance that. 

I think you can incentivize it with extra power ups, extra opportunities to hear dialogue, lore, access to extra areas, etc. essentially turn "stealth play" into the "I want the full story" game mode.

Malaphax   

I know it's showing off what you can do, but goddamn it looks hilarious and entertaining to go that fast and wreck everything in your path. 

kuhla   

If that is realistically doable in the game without gimmicks then I feel like they have learned a lot from what the community wanted. Of course if I was playing the game, I could not live with myself going that fast and ignoring so many opportunities to look around and dialogue.

Malaphax   

They partnered with stealthgamerBR who does ultra crazy runs in dishonored like that.  I think the more likely approach will be full stealth/lethal runs, kill everything, but unseen the whole time.  I know that's what I plan to do.