Malaphax

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

source - https://www.engadget.com/2017/08/26/dishonored-death-of-the-outsider/

Since Billie doesn't get her powers from the Outsider -- the mysterious, god-like figure who seems to be manipulating everything in the series -- she has a slightly different relationship with them. For one, she doesn't have to worry about stockpiling magic potions; instead, she relies on cooldown timers. So while you'll still have to be careful about when to use your powers, you can still use them more freely than before, with the confidence that they'll be back in a few seconds.

Having played only a limited amount of one of the Dishonered games, the first one, I have to say the "old" system bugged me and this sounds like a huge improvement.

They also mentioned that she's not limited by the zero kill policy that is encouraged in the base game.  There is no good/bad ending based on the number of kills or chaos you generate.  So you can go full sadist and just wreck everything in front of you.  I expect that you can play it more stealth or more aggressive, I'm curious how they balance that. 

I do find it funny that this DLC strongly implies a "bad" ending happened to Billy - because in the second game you do get the option of changing history and making sure she does not loose her eye and arm.  The only other game I can think of that's based off the bad ending is xcom2 which assumes you lost the first xcom, because they looked at win-rates and determined that most players did lose. 

4 minutes ago, Malaphax said:

I'm curious how they balance that. 

I think you can incentivize it with extra power ups, extra opportunities to hear dialogue, lore, access to extra areas, etc. essentially turn "stealth play" into the "I want the full story" game mode.

If that is realistically doable in the game without gimmicks then I feel like they have learned a lot from what the community wanted. Of course if I was playing the game, I could not live with myself going that fast and ignoring so many opportunities to look around and dialogue.

• 2 weeks later...

This is an article about the new mechwarrior 5 mercenaries game being developed by piranha games, the same developers that made mechwarrior online.  I personally have zero hope for this thing because I've heard MWO is an absolute mess, but it sounds like they're trying.  Also I believe harmony gold is suing them alongside harebrained scheme's battletech game so who knows how that all will turn out. 

http://www.pcgamer.com/mechwarrior-5-mercenaries-hands-on-the-series-goes-back-to-its-roots/

So they'd sorta done this in Wolfenstein: The New Order and Wolfenstein: The Old Blood - but now they've actually put the entire wolfenstein 3d game into the latest wolfenstein 2.  Previously they had just recreated the wolfenstein 3d levels in the new idtech engine and had them as dream sequences.  But this time I think they've basically packaged an emulator and a full copy of wolfenstein 3d on the arcade machine in wolfenstein 2. 

https://www.polygon.com/2017/10/24/16534048/wolfenstein-2-easter-eggs-wolfenstein-3d

11 hours ago, Malaphax said:

Playstation has always had a really solid group of exclusives and I consider The Last of Us to be one of the top contenders.

If I had a PS4 right now, Horizon Zero Dawn would be on my short list of games I would want to play.