Tactically Inept

Fashion & Beauty Thread

kuhla

We have a Health & Fitness Thread so we can have a Fashion (clothes) & Beauty (hair, skin) Thread. No need for no homo tag. Not looking like shit is something everyone (with the luxury to do so) should give a shit about.

inb4 nobody posts and thread is failure.

I don't have anything on my mind to start this thread off with. Sorry. Just wanted to get it started.

I don't consider myself fashionable and I'm not too willing right now to put in any extra time/effort/money to change it.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I gave myself a budget of $1000 a few years ago to do a complete makeover given the opportunity. Being money minded I spent far less than that even after shopping with a well off girl who was use to more expensive tastes. I spent about $250 on 2 pants, and 4 shirts. I then went to Frisco with college buddy of mine, and discovered that fashionable men spend far more than fashionable women. He spent $400 on a pair of boots, and $150 on a t-shirt. I'm like daaaayymnnnn. Needless to say I did not follow his advice as much.

In either case, I had become the metrosexual. That's fine because I've gotten a lot more attention from the opposite sex I normally didn't have before, and had I been interested in the ladies, I realized I have far less trouble in getting a lady than I previously imagined.

I disagree that you have to spend a lot of money just to look fashionable. There are a lot of styles to choose from. Personally, I prefer a clean cut look. Business or casual business attire is probably the best investment for you guys at your age. You can look sharp anywhere anytime. Your wardrobe should contain at least 2 pairs of suits.

Remember gents: first impressions are everything-- dress appropriately.

Shoes tho... /grimace

I recommend in investing in at least 1-2 good pairs of shoes. Dress shoes and work shoes-- keep it clean and in good order; they'll last you a few years. I'd say a good pair of shoes easily hits and exceeds the $200 mark so don't go splashing through puddles with them. Wear sneakers and change out when you get to a dry place (office).

As for female fashions: it really depends on each girl's comfort level. Some are confident with low cut v-necks while others are prudish and prefer to keep exposed skin to a bare minimum. Fashion does remain relatively similar throughout. Work wise, all girls are supposed to be leaning towards being prudish.

Female shoes are ghastly costly but again, invest in a few good ones and the they'll pay off over time.

I hate shopping so don't ask me to help you shop. Just remember these general rules:

1) Can I network (professionally) in these clothing? [Technically, you can network in any clothing but realistically, you want to look clean and sharp.]

2) Do the colors match? [PLEASE DO NOT use colors to make a statement-- it really takes a lot to pull off the Joker look; you got to have the charisma for it.]

3) Where am I going? Is the clothing appropriate/comfortable? [Rule 3 overrides Rule 1-- ex. You don't go to the beach wearing a dress suit and you don't go to an interview wearing flip flops.]

4) When in doubt, dress up.

http://media.kohls.com.edgesuite.net/is/im...mp;op_sharpen=1

I need a couple pairs of button up shirts, and some slacks. I do not have a real need for suits currently. I am semi interested in getting some business casual shoes. I don't really want to invest too heavily in higher end clothing because i spend the vast majority of my time in a t-shirt and jeans at school or at work in a uniform.

I need a couple pairs of button up shirts, and some slacks. I do not have a real need for suits currently. I am semi interested in getting some business casual shoes. I don't really want to invest too heavily in higher end clothing because i spend the vast majority of my time in a t-shirt and jeans at school or at work in a uniform.

Business casual shoes? I wear my dress shoes with suits or slacks-and-a-polo and I think it looks just fine. Not out of place at all.

I think my ecco dress shoes are one of the best "formal attire" investments I ever made. They have lasted me a stupid long time and are very comfortable. http://www.eccousa.com/shoes/mens/dress/62/product-list.aspx

Leather but not formal

... first word that came to mind "spurs"

Cowboy hat, lasso, and a fine Arabian stallion... and we have a clash of classic novels.

First two would be closer to what I'm talking about. Third one I would consider a nicer casual type of shoe.

I'm just not crazy about any of those. They are cut too much like a casual shoe with a leather upper slapped on to make them look "nicer." It just looks cheap to me. I stand by the opinion that a nice formal shoe can do formal and office casual easily.

I'm trying to find some "fashionable" pictures to spice up this thread and stimulate some discussion. I only want to post stuff I liked/ok/would try to wear. So far about 95% of the pictures I've found I've passed over because it was full homo, had a purse for a man, showed bare ankle when standing up (jesus that looks terrible), wearing some scarf/afghan (another thing I think looks awful unless you are a ninja), cigarettes, ridiculously tight, too abstract (shirtless motorcycle). Here are some, although I'm not totally crazy about what I picked: CORRECTION: I STRUGGLED to find like 3-4 pictures to post and looked at 60+ Decided not to post them. Just wasn't happy with them.

I've heard the advice more than a few times that if you have a more athletic build to but something that fits your shoulders and then get it tailored for the midsections.

What's with you guys against scarves? Yes, we don't live on the East coast and it "may" not get cold enough to warrant a scarf... but I think it's fashionable to wear a scarf. It certainly keeps you warm...

Sigh.

So far about 95% of the pictures I've found I've passed over because it was full homo

I laughed out loud in the library, really hard. haha

I'll post a little sticky I got from /fa/ when I get home, its not much but good starting point I think.

edit: found it. I use it as a starting point and then go based on my own tastes (read: cost). good luck, gentlemen. o7

edit2: and yea I should also mention (in case it wasnt obvious) that this is directly from /fa/ so you need to view it through metrosexual-filter glasses. I ignore most of the stuff other than dress-wear tips to be honest; as I care a lot less about how I look in casual settings.

Posted Image

I laughed out loud in the library, really hard. haha

I'll post a little sticky I got from /fa/ when I get home, its not much but good starting point I think.

edit: found it. I use it as a starting point and then go based on my own tastes (read: cost). good luck, gentlemen. o7

edit2: and yea I should also mention (in case it wasnt obvious) that this is directly from /fa/ so you need to view it through metrosexual-filter glasses. I ignore most of the stuff other than dress-wear tips to be honest; as I care a lot less about how I look in casual settings.

http://s17.postimage.org/qp4h28smn/fashion.jpg

Seen that pic before. I agree with it I guess but it goes a bit past what I would consider necessary and into the realm of fashion as a hobby.

What's with you guys against scarves? Yes, we don't live on the East coast and it "may" not get cold enough to warrant a scarf... but I think it's fashionable to wear a scarf. It certainly keeps you warm...

So you think this looks good on a man? ;)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sigh.

So you think this looks good on a man? ;)

I agree with kuhla. scarves are a little too metro for me as well.

I have a scarf. I'll use it when practicality comes into play or if I'm trying to look good in front of girls.

I also wear a pair of Chinese branded loafers now. They're pretty comfy and easy to sip on for work. San Francisco fashion sucks because its all super uncomfortable. I hate that. It looks hipster though (and I enjoy the hipster look), but comfort greater than fashion 70% of the time for me.

Scarfs serve no purpose unless you live in a desert or cold weather climate. I dislike them as fashion accessories because very rarely do I see them done well, you either look like you're from al shabaab or you're exceptionally cold in california, both of which are retarded.

I was looking around a bit at shoes today, I mostly looked at adidas and puma, these are the ones that caught my eye.

http://www.zappos.com/adidas-originals-sam...grey-solid-grey

http://www.zappos.com/puma-roma-ll-nbk-2-black-white-ash

http://www.zappos.com/puma-puma-suede-black-black

Alright you haters.. I wear scarves all the time because it IS SO FLIPPING COLD.

-__-"

And I can go ibuki whenever I need to. Just need to find me some kunais and learn how to throw with accuracy.

And furthermore you cannot turn into racoons.

oh? you know this for a fact? do not make assumptions O__O

lol. all kidding aside though, I think scarves look fine on girls. they are just way too pushing the line of whats acceptable for a man to be wearing imo.

I actually think scarves look cute on girls, but I like it when girls wear bulky for some reason. leaves more to the imagination?