kuhla

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

gifs like this are one of those things where, it's not that anything especially fancy is going on but you stare at it, letting it loop over and over.... where did the foot go, what angle, where is the crook of the left arm, looks like the hip pushed in right about there..... details, details...

http://zippy.gfycat.com/ImmaculatePaleErne.webm

• 1 month later...

Believe it or not but there is something important going on in this video. This style of sparring/training has been a somewhat recent and growing trend that is supplanting "hard" sparring with lots of gear on. Ironically, this type of sparring has been common in Muay Thai for a quite a bit longer (probably for other reasons) but it's becoming more and more common in major MMA gyms/camps according to reports.

EDIT: After typing that, I should probably give an example of some traditional muay thai sparring

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Tristar gym is a very respected facility in Canada that has produced a number of high level MMA athletes. One of their long-time coaches Firas Zahabi has been engaging the community more and more and recently made a long video (below) talking about his views on nutrition and fitness in general for MMA atheletes.

I am no real authority on nutrition and fitness but I do check sports science news almost every day and a lot of what he has to say reflects trends that I have seen in respected literature. He cites multiple sources in the video from respected authors that he bases his training/coaching on.

I guess I just find it refreshing to see a "modern" martial arts coach following "modern" methods that seem to be grounded in reality and reasonableness. The success rate of that gym I feel is a reflection of that. I don't necessarily agree with everything he promotes but I have to check myself when I think that because I have to consider if it's a matter of my goals are not the same as his goals and his clients' goals.

Since it's such a long video (and I did watch the whole thing last night), here is a few quick summary bullet points:
  • Skill training is #1 priority. Other types of training should only supplement it but never ever replace it.

• Specificity and adaptation. Both very important terms.

• Pure weightlifting (barbells, simple compound movements) does have a place in MMA athletes training but the intensity and frequency need to be carefully controlled so that proper recovery can occur and it does not impact other types of training.

• Gymnastics is a very useful cross-training discipline for martial arts athletes partially because it focuses so much on movement, stability and balance.

• Training for one rep maxes is not only not useful if you are not an athlete competing in strongman, powerlifting or olympic style weightlifting but may even be detrimental (CNS fatigue among other reasons).

• You need fiber in your diet for a variety of reasons.

• Athletes need carbs. Keto diet does not work well for high level athletes. (Sidenote: Alex Viada, another coach I respect who does a lot of cross-training, also strongly makes this point)

• Athletes need sleep.

• Having a small amount of sugar/fast digesting carbs right after training is beneficial.

• Protein is important in an athletes diet but a lot of people overdo it.
  • Adding on muscle (and thus also weight), for an MMA athlete, is something that needs to be carefully considered; it can be a liability.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ignoring everything else in this video for a second, this is one video that has been used as an example by people who advocate for law enforcement officers to have more training in grappling.

Related to the above, different scenario but here you can see someone who clearly has some grappling training with the double leg takedown then transition into double wrist lock (kimura). Even if the other person had been taller and heavier, that would still have worked (provided hands could get planted in the same positions for the takedown).

https://i.imgur.com/bK2HvnY.gifv

• 5 months later...

source - http://www.bbc.com/sport/olympics/38230253

Cheerleading and the martial art of Muay Thai have received provisional recognition as Olympic sports.

The two sports will receive $25,000 (£19,700) in annual funding from the International Olympic Committee.

They can apply to become part of the Olympic Games sports programme after three years.

Well then. Was not expecting that. Still think the OIC needs some fixing though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

-cut-

Ignoring everything else in this video for a second, this is one video that has been used as an example by people who advocate for law enforcement officers to have more training in grappling.

Related to the above, different scenario but here you can see someone who clearly has some grappling training with the double leg takedown then transition into double wrist lock (kimura). Even if the other person had been taller and heavier, that would still have worked (provided hands could get planted in the same positions for the takedown).

-cut-

Directly related to the above.

From video description:

... This sort of training gets the officer to a state of fatigue and adrenaline where they then have to make critical choices on the use of deadly force. ...

Towards the end of the video the instructor says "you just shot yourself in the head".

• 3 months later...

source - http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2718941-2-time-olympic-gold-medalist-kayla-harrison-to-make-pfl-mma-debut

Two-time Olympic judo gold medalist Kayla Harrison will make her professional mixed martial arts debut in February for the Professional Fighters League, formerly known as the World Series of Fighting, according to the Los Angeles Times' Lance Pugmire and MMAFighting.com's Dave Meltzer.

source - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kayla_Harrison

Height     5 ft 8 in (173 cm)
Weight     165 lb (75 kg)

She's HUGE. She would not even be able to sign with most of the bigger promotions even if they wanted her because they don't have a weight class for her.

Yea, I'm not sure they could even go for a catch-weight class since she's 20lbs over the biggest women's UFC weight class (featherweight).  She used to compete in the 78kg (171lbs) weight class for women's judo.  I sincerely doubt she'd be willing or capable of cutting down to UFC weight. 

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 1/2/2017 at 10:55 PM, kuhla said:

source - https://www.instagram.com/p/BOxlw-jAlPn/

EBI has been gaining some momentum. Next event is going to have "combat Jiu jitsu" where open palm strikes will be allowed to the body and face but only after the combatants are grounded. Feels like a bit of Pancrase.

Combat Jiu-Jitsu Worlds 1 - Full Show

Posted on Eddie Bravo's youtube page (he is the organizer of the event) so I doubt it is going to be taken down.

Quick click through:

Rules @ 20:20.
First match @ 25:40 I think?

I think it's pretty cool new rule set. I would like to see it take off a bit. I do not see it as a "middle ground" between full stricking and grappling and more as a rule set to not allow stalling inside a grappling event.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...