Tactically Inept

Official Post Anything Electric Vehicle Related Thread

Jedi2155

https://www.carscoops.com/2023/04/2025-vw-id-7-debuts-as-stylish-electric-flagship-with-up-to-435-miles-of-range/

ID.7 has an impressive WLTP range  at 435m compared to Tesla Model 3 RWD at 394m (EPA Tesla is 358m for AWD).

The system comprises a 282-hp (210-kW) PSM permanent magnet synchronous motor, a two-stage, one-speed gearbox, and power and control electronics.

The ID.7 will launch in two versions, the Pro and Pro S. The ID.7 Pro is equipped with a 77 kWh battery (gross: 82 kWh) with DC fast charging abilities of up to 170 kW.

Meanwhile, the ID.7 Pro S will be introduced at a later date in Europe with an 86 kWh battery (gross: 91 kWh) and up to 200 kW DC fast charging capabilities.

Big question I have is their cooling capacity of the battery to handle fast charging and prevent battery from degrading, and of course the continued lack of fast chargers but Tesla is trying to solve that with the Magic Dock in Version 4 superchargers (just started rolling out this year). This makes the ID.7 extremely competitive compared to the Model 3 as long as the pricing is competitive. That being said as an investor, they had to put in a 91 kWh battery compared to a 82 kWh battery in the Model 3 to compete.

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm curious Jedi2155 if you think that Tesla opening the supercharger network is a good thing.  My understanding is that the government is basically willing to provide large incentives to Tesla in order to open the network, but it could also diminish the Tesla brand as well as take away one of the major advantages of purchasing a Tesla and gaining access to their super charging network.

There's also this neat video from MKBHD showing how the Tesla supercharger network may require some minor adjustments to the length of cables to better accommodate the different charging port locations found on non-tesla vehicles.  

Anecdotally, I have seen a decent number of non-teslas making use of the brea parking structure charging infrastructure (which is at least tesla branded.)  

One thing people fail to understand Tesla and Elon, is that Elon really doesn't care about Tesla, nor cares about making Tesla the #1 company. Tesla's mission is "to accelerate the world's transition to sustainable transport."

The mission is to get the whole planet/humanity/civilization to move to electric, so opening up to the competition is part of that objective (as well as reducing the cost of production of EVs and Tesla's in particular). There has been arguments about splitting the Tesla brand with the luxury and mass market segments, but it hasn't been done yet, but Tesla has a race to the bottom in terms of production costs and ultimate pricing.

I've been focusing a lot on Tesla's future recently since I do have a large percentage of my wealth in $TSLA, as well as do daily options trades on their movement (just got my TTS recently), so I think a lot about it, Elon's most recent comments about their thoughts that they're considering a future where the Model 3 would have 0 gross margins / 0 profit was eye opening to me to that direction.

• 2 months later...