Tactically Inept

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

kuhla

• 4 months later...

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2015/08/31/deus-ex-mankind-divided-release-date-announced-collectors-edition-detailed/

https://www.deusex.com/augmentyourpreorder

The good news:

Launch date is February 23, 2016.

Looks like it's available directly on steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/337000

The bad news:

They're pulling some bullshit with pre-orders and bonuses.

The more people that pre-order the game the more "bonus" content is unlocked. Including an entire mission.

The collectors edition of the game appears to provide this content without the need for unlock bonuses. I still think this is a pretty scummy tactic, but I've seen other companies do this before.

There's a vote for what physical items will come in the collector's edition:

https://www.deusex.com/micro/vote

While I generally think collector's editions are lame, there's a small part of me that would consider getting an art book for this game, I really appreciate their aesthetic. I wonder if they might sell one separately.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So I have spent a decent number of hours in this so I feel I can write something properly.

• Main storyline is weaker than the last game but the number, variety and depth of the side-missions has increased so that makes up for it. Just doing the main storyline and nothing else would be a real waste.
  • I had more instances of stopping to look around in this game than last game; admiring the scenery.
  • Performance is actually fine if you drop settings a little bit but maxing them all out will tax the hell out of any system. (Trivia: DX12 coming tomorrow)
  • Just like last game, stealth is rewarded quite a bit. Even though I am doing a "lethal" play through (since non-lethal is an option) I still do most of the game in stealth.
  • Exploration is rewarded much more in this game than any of the previous ones. I appreciate this a lot.
  • I think I'm around hour 15 and with the exploration and side missions I have done there is still quite a bit of game left.
  • Combat is meh but it has been in previous games too.
  • Music is decent and appropriate.
  • Loading times are pretty average.
  • Built-in graphics benchmark is much appreciated.
  • Dialog options are adequate.

If you like the previous game, you will probably have plenty to like in this too but you have to do exploration/side missions to really get the value. I am happy with my purchase.

I'll A:B the dx12 setting tomorrow just to see what the differences are.

I think DX:MD is a solid game and certainly provides multiple avenues to enjoy the game, but realistically exploration/stealth is how the game "should" be played.

I feel like the conversation augment should be a standard augment and not something you need to dump a point into. I also feel like there are some small changes to the stealth system that need to be made: lethal takedowns make noise while non-lethal takedowns make no noise. This led me to do stupid like like punching someone in the face only to take out my pistol and shoot them in the head afterwards just so I wouldn't attract any attention from other npcs.

The weapons in this game sometimes make no sense, why does the assault shotgun only take armor penetrating rounds? Why do certain guns have 3 different ammo variants while others only have 2?

The dialogue is fine, but the animations are clunky as hell, and the lip-syncing is worse than old dubbed kung-fu movies.

The game is great but there are elements that feel completely unpolished. I hope they turn around and make a sequel sooner rather than later.

So from what little I've read up on the DX12 options currently in "beta" is that AMD cards receive a decent bump and Nvidia cards perform WORSE. I already knew that AMD devices seem to have some advantages in DX12 and Vulkan but it's a bit disconcerting that we're now seeing declines in performance between these rendering techniques for the newest/best Nvidia cards.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/deus_ex_mankind_divided_pc_graphics_performance_benchmark_review,9.html

Considering Rise of the Tomb Raider still shows small performance gains in DX12 for Nvidia hardware I'm going to just assume it's that Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is very poorly optimized.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

:(

As someone who has espoused so much love for this franchise, preordered it, enjoyed playing it..... I'm embarrassed that I haven't finished it....

....but multiplayer games....

So the last two days I have been able to spend a little time getting back into it..... which is nice.... until last night.... played for about 30 minutes with just one save early on..... then in the middle of a long dialog "Deus Ex has stopped responding"

http://i.imgur.com/oWGHkfV.jpg

Got some proper time in last night without a crash. Not sure what caused it the first time. Even though the world is not that big, I forgot how good it looks and how dense it is with quite a bit of stuff to do and see in a small area.

malaphax, I finally did the big "heist" at the bank. Was not that spectacular. Did I miss something?

Failed some side missions but I'm not going to go back for them.

The bank is one of the largest and craziest levels, I'm not sure what happens when you choose that vs the church mission (I did the church), so I'm not sure what's involved. I think you had already robbed the bank previously so you got to experience how large and integrated the bank is.

The Vaults at the bank is what I was mentioning because if you have all the keys you can get some unique/cool equipment. You were struggling to find the entrance and I'll let you google it if you want. The vault itself isn't super impressive but the loot is.