Sign in to follow this  
Jedi2155

Vent Server Info + Status

This thread is to discuss problems with the vent (in case the server goes down and needs a reboot etc.)

Basic Lobby Access! - PM one of us or post in this thread if you want a full member account!

Vent IP: 72.37.150.202

Port: 19646

Here's a tutorial for setting up Vent:

First get the program here:

http://www.ventrilo.com/download.php

After its installed, you're going to have to create a user/profile (this is local profile, not one stored online, as ventrilo is free to use).

Create a User Profile:

Here's my setup.

Posted Image

You can put anything here, its just the name that you'll show up as in the server.

Phonetic is just the sound that plays when you join the server.

1. Hit the arrow to the right of the user name textbox.

2. In the thing that pops up, hit New to create a new User

3. Hit, okay, and you're done.

Create a Server Profile to Join

Then you're going to have to join a server such as mine :-D.

EDIT BY KUHLA : PICTURE REMOVED BECAUSE IT CONTAINED CONNECTION INFORMATION.

1. Hit the arrow right of the Server textbox.

2. In the window that pops up, hit New to create a new Server Profile

3. You can type whatever you want to call the server, such as "Vent Server", or "Richard's server" or whatever.

4. Then put under the IP and port in port, you can ignore password and default channel (if you want you can put in Delta as the default channel), as those are my personal settings.

5. Hit ok, and you're done!

Join the server!

After all that you can hit connect to join the server (assuming your firewall doesn't block it or anything).

Posted Image

You should see this, join the channel where I am (i'm Richard)..

You should at least be able to hear me talking.

Now you'd want to setup your microphone so you can join us in the chat!

Now these settings are different for everyone, so you might want to fine tune it for your setup.

In the picture above, you saw my setup.

Keep in mind that when you're in the setup box, your mic will automatically be muted, and you cannot say anything to us until you close this window.

I'd suggest you just hit the Use Directsound to detect your sound devices, unless you know what your setup is like.

I use voice detection (mic automatically picks up my voice when I talk) to chat rather than holding down a key to chat. I have my sensitivity at 9 (the lower the number, the higher sensitivity of the mic), and silence time of 1 second (how much time the mic stays on after it picks up your last word) to make sure you don't get chopped off in the middle of a sentence/word.

You can then hit Test to make sure your mic is working right by just talking in your mic, and it should play back what it last picked up. Make sure your sensitivity isn't too high, as otherwise it'll constantly transmit. A optimal scenario is to have your mic pick up your word, and then stop as soon as you stop talking. You can see how sensitive your mic is by hitting the monitor option to see how powerful your words are.

And that should be that! I'll walk you through on the server if you need anymore help!

Edited by Jedi2155

it's kicking me on and off the server...

That's partly because I've been messing with it (each change causes a reboot), which I'm done with now. But also when I first logged into the control panel, the vent server was offline, which meant they had a system malfunction or something. In either case, it should be stable again now.

malaphax, you expressed interest in handling this.....go find us a new host. A price range to work around is $70 for 20 slot per year. Our current Ventrilo should be closing around October.

That's our current host, but that's the introductory price so expect it to go up the following year. Right now i'm paying darkstar about $84/year for the 20 slot.

I just checked the prices again and....

Its $37.08 for a 10 slot

Its $61.92 for a 20 slot....since the overall number of people in vent is almost never more than 10 and i don't think we'll hit that problem, we can probably be safe with the 10.

Long story short, when I swaped the ventrilo server to mumble (temporarily for testing purposes) it completely moved our vent server name and port etc...

I did not realize this was the case, otherwise I would not have done it. I apologize for the trouble this may cause. I will have the info at the ready for any of you that try to log in, I will not post the info on the forums.

I also need to go in and set up admin for all of you guys again, it's probably not a huge issue, but please remind me when you log in.

EDIT: Just kidding I fixed the user accounts, they make backups for that shit. But I can't fix the server name/port sorry.

just pm me the vent address and my account info when you have it done.

p.s. chr- turvey says you're an idiot. (I slightly agree)

Rofl!!! You guys are hilarious

I'm going to post the same shit one more time because things have changed at least slightly.

Mumble. I'm still considering moving to it, the only reason why I'm bringing this up again is because the 2 major people concerned about it are not nearly as affected by it currently. Richard has admitted that with a second screen it's not a huge issue to use vent/g15 displays. Also he does appreciate the reduced latency. Ren has currently not logged on in quite some time, and was not really making substantial use of vent.

Typefrag wants money on October 3rd, I'll pay it and currently we sit at 20slot server. Since typefrag allows us to swap between vent and mumble the transition is only as issue in the sense that the address/port will change.

I'm going to just do a bit of a roll call regarding mumble/vent, if you have a significant grievance/opinion you wish to express feel free to do so. As I've said before I will keep it as vent if any of the major players expressly want vent (abstaining does not count). Otherwise I will begin to ask the new people and peripheral users if they've heard of mumble and if they'd be willing to switch programs. I personally do not think it's a large deal to swap, but I'll use that as a sanity check.

Current Standings:

malaphax - Mumble

kuhla - Neutral

Ren - Vent (however he is not currently using)

Richard - Vent (however his opinion has softened)

Tino - Neutral

Brian - Mumble

Chris - ???

Just an update so everyone is kept on the same page. Currently ventrilo renews on 9/3/12. I am going to start making moves towards setting up a mumble at the beginning of next month or so, that way we have plenty of overlap and lots of time for ren to pick up the vent server and me to create the mumble server.

Also tonight I brought over joe, jon, noel, and james over to another mumble server and they tended to be rather positive towards the switch. Tino and richard also seem to be in yet another mumble server. So it seems like all that is currently left is to properly consolidate all of this under 1 server. I will most likely be looking towards a 20/25 slot again. The prices are the same $58 for 20 and $72 for 25. Considering I know of at least 4-8 other people that use mumble, but not vent, I may opt for the slightly larger server. If we have multiple groups of people I would much rather have a somewhat full voip with multiple channels in use than people using multiple servers. So I'm going to push for consolidation.

Admin will be handed out to any of the forum users regardless of contribution, I may restrict just how much admin control all of you get though. Server Information may end up being posting publicly again. I might also start directing some of these people towards our forums.

Admin will be handed out to any of the forum users regardless of contribution, I may restrict just how much admin control all of you get though.

I don't have a problem with this but I would like if you could expand on it in more detail.

I might also start directing some of these people towards our forums.

Remember to tell them they have to communicate somehow to me or Richard what email they are registering with so that they can be approved in the current registration setup.

Currently admin is given out at multiple levels. Myself, Ren, Richard, and kuhla all have "full" admin. Chris, Tino and Brian for example have enough power to move people channels and kick them, but not ban. I have to check the details on mumble, but I'm fairly certain that there will be some differentiating factors regarding levels of admin control. I will most likely hand out basic powers to anyone, and then "full" admin to some. I do this because while I certainly am logged in to vent/mumble frequently, I'm not always there, and should someone need to be kicked or moved etc... some basic powers would be given to quite a number of users. Also when I write "any forum users" that really means: malaphax, kuhla, Ren, Richard, Tino, Chris and Brian.

Mumble uses access control lists, so for example I may give lower levels of admin the ability to move/kick and then higher levels of admin the ability to ban and edit the access control lists.