Tactically Inept

The Orange Box

kuhla

• 3 weeks later...

So I stopped playing Portal around level 13-14, I can't quite remember. I know most of you also played it but I really hope that:

(1) the levels get harder - None of the levels took me more than a min or two, usually because I was waiting for a platform to move, etc.

(2) there are a LOT of levels - because if it's only like 30-40 levels then this is going to go really fast

(3) Someone on halflife2 forums said they beat the whole game in 1 hour, 30 minutes :o I hope it takes me at least a little longer than that

.....other than those "concerns", it was pretty fun to experiment with what could be done.

ok... so portal is made of win... and the song at the very end of portal is made of GOD and WIN... I mean this... It took me about 2hours give or take to beat it... but i'll mess with some of the challenge missions/bonus sections to see what's that like...

then maybe ep2 when i get around to it...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

source - http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=167911

I found this link by Straits at the wireplay forums... I'm sorry if it's been posted before, I just heard mention of it on a different forum and then had to hunt the commands down... Hope this helps.

http://forums.wireplay.co.uk/showthread.php?p=3321052

Multithreaded TF2 (and all source games)

Someone mentioned you can enable support for multi-core CPUs in source by using these commands:

r_threaded_renderables "1" // default 0

mat_queue_mode "2" // default -1

which gives a boost to ur performance

I did some more research about it and found a few more:

r_threaded_particles "1" // default 1

r_threaded_client_shadow_manager "1" // default 0

cl_threaded_bone_setup "1" // default 0

cl_threaded_client_leaf_system "1" // default 0

*** WARNING : THESE ARE DISABLED BY DEFAULT BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT FULLY DEVELOPED AND COULD CAUSE INSTABILITY. USE THEM AT UR OWN RISK! (If you dont have a multi-core CPU, dont mess with these cos it will probably just kill ur game )***

The big caps warning asside, ive been using them tonight n it seems fine i noticed a considerable fps increase... at least 20+ fps extra from ma quad

If you want to use these, i suggest adding them to a config file so you dont have to type them in every time you start the game. For those who are not familiar with doing this, its quite simple: Navigate to the directory Steam/steamapps/username/team fortress 2/tf/cfg/ and create a file called autoexec.cfg (if it doesnt already exist). Open the file with notepad and add the commands you wish to be run when the game starts up, in this case, the commands listed above. Thats it! save the file and you're done!