Tactically Inept

[Anime] Hyper Future Vision (Battle Angel Alita)

kuhla

Also known as: Gunnm, Battle Angel Alita

anidb --> http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=147

Known as Gunnm in Japan and then Battle Angel Alita to Western audience, Battle Angel (in all of its incarnations) is now part of the canon of Blade Runner-inspired anime cyberpunk.

The film version follows a "Hunter Warrior" and cyborg healer named Ido. Ido formerly lived in the floating land of Zalem (Tiphares in the book), the paradise that hovers over the refuse heap of Scrap Iron City in which he now resides with his former lover, Chiren. In his travels as a bounty hunter (killing spine thieves in a world in which human nerve tissue has become the most precious commodity), Ido one day discovers and repairs the remnants of a cyborg whom he names Gally (Alita in the Western version). Though possessing the body of a young woman, Gally embodies Ido`s most sophisticated and lethal cybernetic skill.

The preternaturally strong, amnesiac Gally begins to forge a life for herself in a world where every day can bring a fight for life.

Adapts the first two volumes of the manga.

I like the setting and in general I liked this OVA, but it was really short and it felt like they wanted to move the storyline/characters as quickly as possible. After I watched it I read the wiki for it and the reason for that made a lot more sense:

source --> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_Angel_OVA

The OVA is comprised of two episodes, Rusty Angel and Tears Sign, that serve as a compressed preview for the manga. It was originally scheduled to cover the entire set of manga, but was abruptly put to a halt as the producer in charge of creating the OVA passed away. The staff decided that it would be best not to continue their work on the OVAs in his honor.

After you watch it, this makes a lot of sense. Also a piece of trivia:

source --> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_angel

James Cameron is directing and producing Battle Angel, a live-action adaption of the first three volumes of the manga series. Cameron has plans to make a trilogy if the first film is successful. Alita will be a CG character performed by an actress. Filming will be made with the new digital 3D system Cameron has developed for Avatar, and will also include new devices for interacting between actors, director and the digital characters and environments, such as a real time virtual camera and virtual retinal display technology (VRD). Battle Angel is currently in pre-production and is set for a 2009 release.

I've heard the manga can be pretty decent and somewhat berzerk-like at times and yet it's probably more like GITS in the overall setting of it.

The OVA's setting (which I imagine is probably somewhat close to the manga) is like the immigrant sector in GITS, lots of poor, slum-style village.

• 11 years later...
  • 5 months later...

Saw this over the weekend. I was not impressed. The setting was fine but the movie felt just like a michael bay transformers movie. Heavy CGI action, explosions, slow mo, explosions in slow mo, the story and acting are worthless. One note though, I was surprised how quickly I got over the xxl eyes.  I would not recommend this movie. I actually wonder if this would have been better if it did not stick so strictly to the source material.

The movie's plot was utter trash - they set up a world and then immeadiately break that world's own rules, repeatedly.  "No one goes to Zalem" ten minutes later "the sportsball champion goes to Zalem" twenty minutes later "I told this character I'd get him to Zalem, but I was obviously lying because no one goes to Zalem."  The visuals were fine although relying very heavily on CGI.  I also didn't quite understand how they managed to keep this PG-13 considering the heavy dismemberment (it's blue cyborg blood so I guess it's ok? - except one regular dude that gets cut in half...) I'd love to blame the movie adaptation for being bad, but the actual anime/manga it's based on is just as nonsensical and includes wonderfully terrible stuff like "lost hidden arts of cyborg martial arts... called Panzer Kunst." 

Here's a neat video showing just how much was taken straight from the anime - obvious spoiler warning for certain plot elements. 

• 3 weeks later...