Tactically Inept

Guild Wars 2

ren

here it is, VERY in-depth interview.. which after reading makes me want to work on my hall some more.

http://www.gamersglobal.com/special/interv...nanets-founders

At that time, in 2000, I was heading up the WarCraft 3 team, Jeff was heading up the World of WarCraft team and Patrick Wyatt [the third founder, --ed.] was heading up the Battlenet group. The three of us have known each other for a long time and really wanted to be able to work together on one great project. So that was one of our motivations. But we also had two visions. We had been working on the Battlenet, and at that time it was being just used to provide online connectivity for retail games. We had a vision of making a gaming infrastructure for games that would be specifically designed for the Internet. What could you do if you could assume that everybody had to connect to the Internet in order to play the game? How much more compelling and dynamic would that game be! You wouldn?t have a CD full of static content that could never be changed again, but would stream just the files player would need as they go from from place to place.

GG: You?ve already announced that Guild Wars 1 will still be actively supported by its own team when the successor has been released. But there will come the time, when, after all, Guild Wars 1 will be over.

Jeff Strain: Our goal is to make Guild Wars 2 so phenomenally cool that no one will even consider not to play it! If we succeed in that, then we expect the vast majority of players is going to play Guild Wars 2. However, some will be willing to continue GW1. And as long as there are people who play Guild Wars 1, we will keep that game going. We?re not going to shut down servers and kick thousands of people out! There may come a time where we will not keep adding new content to GW1, though.

GG: So the last 5.000 players will still be running around in GW1 in 2050.

Jeff Strain: If they want to play it, we?ll keep the servers running.

I included some of the more interesting snippets from the interview but if you are interested in whats to come in gw2 read the whole thing, alot of information.

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pretty cool interview with their lead concept artist. I always admired their concept art and how well they often put certain aspects of that into the game (Cathedral of flames is pretty sweet if you ask me). The concept art is some new and some old (I recognize some EoTN and Nightfall in there) but it's pretty amazing what that guy comes up with. I mean, the only problem I have is unless you have the Cryengine 2.0 making those in a game is damn near impossible. Good read though.

http://bldgblog.blogspot.com/2008/04/games...niel-dociu.html

• 1 year later...

http://www.guildwars2.com/

Big new big news. So they had their site up this week and revealed it today. It still looks like they're a ways off but the basic storyline and 5 playable races are fleshed out.

The new one that we haven't seen was teased in one of the campaign cinimatics they're sentient plants... called sylvari. Other than that you have you standard humans, bear morphing norn, fire loving char, and asurans.

Looks like the story is about going up against a dragon, which is kinda interesting because the only dragons in the first one were glint and she helped you. Well unless you want to count that piss easy destroyer boss.

Also whoever does their artwork/level design are both amazing as per usual. They've always been pretty awesome but it seems like they've really gone the extra step this time.

Oh and kuhla... don't hold your breath... but i saw jumping in the video...

During the past two years of development we made huge advances to our game engine, adding a persistent world with free-form movement and exploration, day/night cycles, cutting edge support for dungeons and interior environments, numerous graphical advancements including support for more detailed environments and models, better lighting and shadows, new animation and effects systems, plus new audio and cinematics engines, a more flexible combat and skill-casting system, and so on. We also built an array of new content creation tools, enabling us to build a larger and grander world, bring it to life with a wide variety of events always taking place, create more unique and interesting adversaries, and tell stories more compellingly than we ever did before.

OH GOD YES

http://pc.ign.com/articles/101/1015971p1.html

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Some notes:

> Elven race.

> Jumping and swimming.

> Graphics much more obviously bumped in this trailer than previous.

> There seemed to be more character movement during the short combat scenes shown. I dunno if that means anything or I am just imagining it.

> If those race intros have any real reflection on the game, Norn or Charr for sure for me.

> I think this was pretty much already guessed/assumed but it looks like Asura do combat in/with their golems.

Actually if you look around you can find a german interview (it's translated). Essentially there are no racial/class restrictions. So asura warriors will do the same shit a norn warrior will (which will be interesting).

They're not elves.. they're trees...

Yes there are underwater sections in each dungeon, and some dungeons are predominantly underwater.

I assume that there will be more movement/flashy animations during combat.

Also each race is being set up to fight against "rebel" faction of it's own race. Norn fight against bad norn that worship a dragon as the best animal spirit. Sylvari fight against "nightmare" sylvaria who basically want everything to look like a bad dream. Charr fight against their old religious leaders in the Flame Legion. Humans fight rebels and bandits. It doesn't say what the asura fight but assuming they continue the story that they were driven up from underground then it might be the old destroyers or something more interesting.

Also on a few side notes, they added snow leapord for norn, they used to have raven, wolf and bear. It also looks like they may have more classes at launch. I saw what looked like some shadow stepping skills in a few snippets of combat. Plus guns, which I'm assuming will replace bows for charr (and possibly other races?). I think that actually might be interesting instead of having 4 "types" of bow that all pretty much did the same shit.

i want free movement combat.

wasn't a fan of the old system that they have on gw1

I'm not really sure how to reply to that. It is the main combat system shared in the vast majority of RPG/MMO games = stand in one place, press buttons, watch animations. I really only expect free movement in first-person action/combat games.

• 2 weeks later...

source - http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/47...ure/3812/page/1

MMORPG.com's Garrett Fuller recently sat down with Guild Wars 2 Lead Designer Eric Flannum, World Designer and Writer Ree Soesbee,and Environment Art Lead Dave Beetlestone to talk about the highly anticipated upcoming follow-up to the successful Guild Wars franchise.

MMORPG.com: The biggest question on everyone's mind is how will Guild Wars 2 be different from Guild Wars?

Eric Flannum: .....The biggest differences include .... a less complex combat system with fewer overall skills .....

Posted Image

• 4 months later...

http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/prof...s/elementalist/

HOLY SHIT.

I mean to be fair these look like "mostly" visual improvements in terms of spell effects but damn they look pretty good. Also it is a good sign to see them bringing back at least some familiar classes/skills. Not to mention it looks like they're trying to make combat more of an engaging experience with counters.

I wonder how the other classes will look and if they change up some of the original classes (highly doubtful).

EDIT:

Ok there's actually a huge and very detailed post by one of the game designers also up. The really big news is that you have 10 skills and that 5 are determined by character class/weapon and the other 5 are picked from skills available for race/class. 1 of the 5 skills you can choose are dedicated to healing and another is your elite skill slot, which apparently are going to be made even more powerful in gw2, they give the example of an elementalist turning into a tornado or making all of a warriors hits aoe damage. This looks really interesting I'm really looking forward to seeing how they balance all of this and make it work. Also it looks like they're adding a bunch of movement skills (think of the shadow skills assassins had) so you can jump towards characters or other ideas like that.

I know the game is really far off but I still can't help but get excited, I mean as soon as this game comes up for preorder I'm buying it...

wow the visual effect is much much improved. its the reason why i like diablo; cause the visual effect on the skills is epic.

guildwars 1 is kinda weak on that. i mean even meteor shower skill on elemental class barely look cool.

To be fair ren they didn't exactly do much to their engine, they supposedly "overhauled" it but the character models look pretty close to gw1 material (maybe higher res textures). I'm not looking for a game that has a super high visual standard, it looks good enough I wouldn't complain about it. Also focusing on the spell effects is pretty smart, not only does it help with easy identification of skills/spells but that's what you'll notice in combat far more than your own character.

http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/prof...s/elementalist/

HOLY SHIT.

I mean to be fair these look like "mostly" visual improvements in terms of spell effects but damn they look pretty good. Also it is a good sign to see them bringing back at least some familiar classes/skills. Not to mention it looks like they're trying to make combat more of an engaging experience with counters.

I wonder how the other classes will look and if they change up some of the original classes (highly doubtful).

EDIT:

Ok there's actually a huge and very detailed post by one of the game designers also up. The really big news is that you have 10 skills and that 5 are determined by character class/weapon and the other 5 are picked from skills available for race/class. 1 of the 5 skills you can choose are dedicated to healing and another is your elite skill slot, which apparently are going to be made even more powerful in gw2, they give the example of an elementalist turning into a tornado or making all of a warriors hits aoe damage. This looks really interesting I'm really looking forward to seeing how they balance all of this and make it work. Also it looks like they're adding a bunch of movement skills (think of the shadow skills assassins had) so you can jump towards characters or other ideas like that.

I know the game is really far off but I still can't help but get excited, I mean as soon as this game comes up for preorder I'm buying it...

Link to the part you mentioned in the edit for the lazy - http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/combat/part-one/

Thoughts (some are already mentioned in this thread):

* Hmm. Ok. So out of the 10 skills it is really only 4 player chosen skills because the first 5 are chosen by the game (""The first five skills on the skill bar are not slotted directly by the player; instead they are determined by the player's choice of weapon and profession."") and one of the player slots is dedicated to healing ("One of these slots is dedicated to healing skills..."). I'm not sure I like being forced to slot a healing skill. The elite skill slot is whatever. Who wouldn't slot an elite skill? I hope they can balance the weapon/profession skills since there will have to be a lot of them: (number of weapon types)x(classes)x(5 skills each)

* Movement based combat. Hmm. I like the idea and have advocated it many times but it will change guild wars dramatically. On the fence about this bit.

* Skills are definitely more visually dramatic which is nice. Period. I think graphics overall will only see a slight bump from GW1. Nothing too dramatic though. Not that GW1 graphics were ugly.

They posted more info today the big bits:

8 classes: 3 light armor 3 medium 2 heavy

Also something i suspected: no secondary professions. I figured that when they mentioned you get 5 skills that aren't weapon based... It's not a huge loss when you think that there's a racial archetype now, besides I have faith in Anet to make this fun and interesting.

Weapons:

One-Handed: Axe, dagger, mace, pistol, scepter, and sword.

Two-Handed: Greatsword, hammer, longbow, rifle, shortbow, and staff.

Offhand only: Focus, shield, torch, and warhorn.

Also they make mention of environmental weapons, like throwing boulders and bashing people with wooden chairs etc...

They also make mention of skill combinations, such as elemental effects being applied to physical skills when a warrior and elementalist work in succession.

A small piece I find important is this: there is dual wielding, also since there will be 2 warrior classes (one of which will be probably the more standard warrrior) I'm expecting that they'll be bringing back the paragon archetype or at least something similar, probably what will use the warhorn for different "shouts" or something along those lines. Also I sort of wonder if they might do something crazy with the torches, I can just picture something like a very dark level where you need lots of people with torches to provide light...

God damnit with 2 simple interviews they've effectively made me so excited for a game that isn't even coming out this year...