Tactically Inept

Guild Wars 2

ren

The assassin/rogue class is pretty obvious. The mesmer/mindfuck class will be interesting. Mesmers were always one of those weird classes, tons of cc, ridiculous degen, not to mention other weird shit like illussionary weaponry and other funky skills. The last class obviously will use guns (hurr fucking durr) but I'm wondering just how that will play out. Some people have made mention of a class similar to TF2's engineer, with turrets or something along those lines. They obviously have to differentiate it from the ranger class, so it has to have more up it's sleeve than ranged physical damage.

Either way look at the current archetypes and their "unique" abilities atributes and then figure out what they could come up with:

Warrior: uses adrenaline, lots of hp, good damage, proficient in almost all weapons. Simple damage dealing class. Same as GW1 warrior.

Necro: uses life force, caster with summons, can drain/degen, curses, blood magic and death magic. Same as GW1 necro.

Elementalist: uses atunements, can swap atunements as well as weapon sets, water was given healing abilities. Same as GW1 ele.

Ranger: Pet class, less emphasis on ranged damage, synergy with pet increased, mobility seems increased. Seems like a broad class. Same as gw1 ranger.

Guardian: uses virtue system, support class, damage mitigation and crowd control, spirit weapons are an evolution of ritualist spirits, wards similar to elementalist, symbols seem similar to necro wells and ele wards. "New" class concept.

So if they brought back assassin/mesmer in some form they'd have 2 new classes and the 6 original from guild wars (minus monk and replaced with assassin). That seems pretty likely. Mesmer was unique enough to come back and assassin could be tweaked and given some new abilities, possibly a marks system or combo point system (similar to other mmo's like aion's assassin). I figure they've been trying to roll certain classes into the ones mentioned, warriors seem to have more shouts/warhorn abilities similar to paragons. Ele heals now, guardians have skills borrowed from several classes including ritualists. So 2 "new" class types are the ones I figure will be the most unique/bastardized. My bet is the gunner/engineer class will be revealed last.

• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

http://www.arena.net/blog/jon-peters-talks-combat

That's a really good article. They mention a few really key points.

NO ALLIED TARGETING: Oh shit, that's right. Everything is pbaoe or aoe. This can be good, in some ways shouts and aoe heals can be far easier to use and far more interesting. The downside is that the focus of aoe, can make things a clusterfuck in pvp and even some of the more complicated pve fights. Imagine 10 mobs and 5 players, and at least 8 aoes not to mention regular attacks going off. That's some serious shit, and somewhat hard to keep track of.

BOONS: They simplified buffs into a 7 types: Regeneration, Might (damage), Fury(adrenaline/crit?), Swiftness(speed), Protection(damage reduction/armor), Vigor(health), and Aegis(block). This is cool. The other part of this is that they "stack" But not in terms of added effect, but in terms of duration. So you can't have 2xregeneration but you can have a much longer duration. That might be a bit scary. I have a feeling aura/buff teams will probably exist. That's not always fun, in the sense it's pretty much facerolling, without any semblance of timing, just whenever the skill is up and it can't hurt. That leads to one more pvp issue. Burst. Burst is always key in pvp, but with no real burst healing this is going to be even more necessary.

The main point of the article is that each class is much less focused and much more broad. As a warrior in guild wars, it can at times suck dick knowing the most you'll ever be is damage, and maybe a tank (not even that most of the time though). I'm glad each class seems to be much more broad, in the sense that hopefully everyone is at least somewhat useful. Hopefully this game is still difficult though. I hope they copy the first game and include a hard mode, just so people looking for a bit more of a challenge can find one, while more casual players can play through without ever feeling unable to complete content.

NO ALLIED TARGETING

Meh. Age of Conan was like that with the everything-is-an-AoE/cone. Remember how healing in AoC worked? Lee run to the center, Mulgras run to the center, Forsyte run to the center, Nurf run to the center, Isis run to the center. Whatever the fuck you do, do not stand next to other people. Mulgras, center. Just heal me.

BOONS: They simplified buffs into a 7 types: Regeneration, Might (damage), Fury(adrenaline/crit?), Swiftness(speed), Protection(damage reduction/armor), Vigor(health), and Aegis(block). This is cool. The other part of this is that they "stack" But not in terms of added effect, but in terms of duration. So you can't have 2xregeneration but you can have a much longer duration. That might be a bit scary. I have a feeling aura/buff teams will probably exist. That's not always fun, in the sense it's pretty much facerolling, without any semblance of timing, just whenever the skill is up and it can't hurt. That leads to one more pvp issue. Burst. Burst is always key in pvp, but with no real burst healing this is going to be even more necessary.

Hmm. The way I imagine it is that there will be a huge shift in effort to pre-fight as opposed to during fight by getting damage mitigation abilities up on every time.

"That group is all assasins, they are lower hp, bursty dmg, get aegis and vigor buffs up and grind them down."

"That group is all warriors, they are high hp, medium dmg, get might and fury buffs up and spike them down."

The main point of the article is that each class is much less focused and much more broad. As a warrior in guild wars, it can at times suck dick knowing the most you'll ever be is damage, and maybe a tank (not even that most of the time though). I'm glad each class seems to be much more broad, in the sense that hopefully everyone is at least somewhat useful. Hopefully this game is still difficult though. I hope they copy the first game and include a hard mode, just so people looking for a bit more of a challenge can find one, while more casual players can play through without ever feeling unable to complete content.

Yeah, I've been thinking about this. They took super specialization and are making each class close to a jack-of-all-trades. Although this does fix some issues (allowing you to truly roleplay and not worry about picking a "bad" class, avoiding situations where a missing class is a huge determent (LF1M Monk)) I do wonder if it will make people feel a bit less unique. You do less of filling a vital role for a group and are just another body.

Yeah, I've been thinking about this. They took super specialization and are making each class close to a jack-of-all-trades. Although this does fix some issues (allowing you to truly roleplay and not worry about picking a "bad" class, avoiding situations where a missing class is a huge determent (LF1M Monk)) I do wonder if it will make people feel a bit less unique. You do less of filling a vital role for a group and are just another body.

Yes, but if you look at how guild wars progressed think of it this way: Originally you had a main class, and a flexible secondary. You could use this to shift your character in some big ways, and make some creative shit happen. Then when nightfall came out and heroes were added, people use heroes as an extension of their characters. The best part is that because of how flexible heroes are (seeing as they are characters in and of themselves) you could bring whatever you needed. So your character that you made in prophesies may have been a warrior, but with 3 necroes running sabway, you could just load up some damage skills and worry about bashing skulls while they heal/dps with you. Or if you ran into an undead area you could just swap out for some smiting monks. The idea is the same. They want to be much more flexible in terms of what your individual character can do, at the same time, this provides a much more "singleplayer" type of experience. You can truly be a hero like you mentioned, capable of everything (to a degree). When I group with people I don't give a shit what their class is, I have heroes and so do they. Likewise in guild wars 2 they want this more player oriented approach rather than class oriented. But in the end I don't think you'll see heal-bot warriors, so I would assume there are some limitations.

Have some random pictures:

Posted Image

Posted Image

So, I have made some pretty decent progress on my Hall of Monuments. I started out at around 19. I'm not up to 26/30. We'll see how much time I'm willing to put into this, but to get 30 would be a pretty big pain in the ass. I am however definitely considering going for at least 27, because I get another minipet.

I listened to a few of the voice bits on the blog post today...

http://www.arena.net/blog/against-the-wall...in-guild-wars-2

...and it does sound like they put a lot of work into making them all, and I'll probably listen to them when they come up in the game, but they also sound pretty canned.

I know malaphax will understand what I'm saying here but they sound like the dramas from the conventions.

lol at "I'm sick of this crap."

also lol at "lightning bolt, lightning bolt"

Yea, I wonder if they'll have overdressed actors desperately trying to lip synch to the dialogue.

As much as they seem "canned" keep in mind that guild wars had pretty much no voice acting except for very small in game cinematics in the missions. EotN at least each npc had a canned line they would say when you talked to them. This seems like once again another step in the right direction. And considering they aren't going bat shit crazy like ToR with 10000000000 lines of individual unique dialogue done by professional actors, i'd much rather have some slightly canned/cheesy dialogue than so much verbiage thrown at me that I end up doing the same thing when long quest descriptions come up... and end up just skipping it...

<object width="595" height="334"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://www.guildwars2.com/global/includes/flash/gw2player.swf?video=http://download.guildwars2.com/race/human/Human_Preview_ESRB.flv" /><embed src="http://www.guildwars2.com/global/includes/flash/gw2player.swf?video=http://download.guildwars2.com/race/human/Human_Preview_ESRB.flv" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="595" height="334"></embed></object>

For some reason, that embed would not work for me at this computer.

I'm assuming it is the one at the bottom of the page here? http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/races/human/

Pretty.

Yeah, I just checked the embed code and it looks like it refers to the same path but the code I got just now is longer than yours.

<object width="595" height="334"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://www.guildwars2.com/global/includes/flash/gw2player.swf?poster=http://www.guildwars2.com/global/includes/images/skills-video-poster.jpg&video=http://download.guildwars2.com/race/human/Human_Preview_ESRB.flv" /><embed src="http://www.guildwars2.com/global/includes/flash/gw2player.swf?poster=http://www.guildwars2.com/global/includes/images/skills-video-poster.jpg&video=http://download.guildwars2.com/race/human/Human_Preview_ESRB.flv" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="595" height="334"></embed></object>

Some bad news towards the release date. Anet and NCsoft do not know whether or not GW2 will be out in time for the holidays this year. Development is supposed to finish for GW2 and Blade and Soul by the end of 2011. So on the down side we will not see GW2 this summer, or at least fall and more likely the end of this year.

http://www.killtenrats.com/2011/02/10/gw2-...te-speculation/

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.arena.net/blog/norn-week-begins

This week is norn week. They'll post a video on thursday and some other stuff throughout the week. They really want to differentiate them from humans. I personally see them as shape shifting vikings, but I'm ok with that.

Also on a side note, there are different starting areas. I can't remember if they allow fast travel at level 1, and if they allow fast travel to locations you have not explored yet. This might be a small pain in the ass for early grouping with friends. Oh well we'll see.

I think they're filling 2 main points of info, the audio clips, and the flythrough video clip that comes out tomorrow, and then just throwing scraps on the rest of the days. It looks like they spent less time on this than on the human week.

I do have to admit those are some rather large buildings. The human city is also pretty damn big. This is one of the few mmo's I've seen that seems to be doing scale correctly.

Well considering that article was from the guy who makes most of the events, I would assume that's how it will be for the rest of the game. I will admit some of the early human quests looked kind of crappy and basic back at gamescon. But I bet quite a few of the events will be more than just "kill 10x to progress quest". I expect some defending, attacking, some puzzles (I hope these turn out well) and some more unique stuff. To give you an idea of the more unique stuff, think about some of the EoTN quests, like the hunt for the nornbear svanir, you had to go into wolf mode to track him and find the right place on the map, that seems to be similar to the snow leapord event. I do not doubt that they'll mix it up. I just hope they put in a big boss every 10 or so levels like the shatterer and the swamp behemoth. I also have pretty high expectations for dungeons and hope they make mention at some point about underwater stuff again, probably during the Sylvari week, which I expect to be last.

So it turns out that info totally wasn't supposed to be revealed until pax east. But gametrailers fucked up and uploaded it, then took it down and anet was nice enough to just go along with it and let everyone post their footage anyways.

The new class is thief we'll see more at pax some notes about the class.

It uses the initiative system which is like an energy system, it's a small pool but regens quickly, all weapons skills have NO COOLDOWN TIMES, so you can and will chain them together.

Stealth, yes they have it and yes it has a duration, looks about 20-30 seconds. Not unlimited but certainly plenty long enough.

Pistols, someone had to use them. Also their range is pretty limited.

Stealing, yea they can steal skill sets from various mobs (and I assume maybe even bosses) which is kind of interesting. It might be cool we'll see.

Theif class looks interesting, they showed off some more areas and a very small glimpse of a dynamic event involving pirates. Norn starting area (didn't see much of the huge structures). Oakhearts are fucking hilarious, they bitch slap you and send you flying backwards. Some "new" necro pets including a worm thing that stays in place and fires as well as an undead devourer. Guardian looks pretty cool. The website will be updated next week around pax time.