Sign in to follow this  
ren

Guild Wars 2

Source links please next time.

source - http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/combat/part-two/

* I'm a bit surprised that they took out secondary professions. I didn't really see any reason for them to want to remove that (from the guild wars formula). Oh well. I don't see it as a huge loss either.

* The examples they gave of environmental weapons leaves a bad taste in my mouth as I imagine areas strewn with "weapons" you can pick up after killing a bunch of enemies and destroying areas.

* Dual wielding. That's cool.

* I wonder what torches are for. Opportunities for coolness here as mrblah mentioned.

* 8 professions vs the current 10. Mkay. Works for me. I can see some hybridizing working well. I'm all for hybrids anyways. 3 light armor types, 3 medium armor types, 2 heavy armor types.

Overall sounds good. Sounds like they are making quite some changes.

They explain that secondary professions didn't work in practice because they've changed skills to be partially weapons based. Also to be fair from a balance standpoint it's a goddamn nightmare. The other reason I can think of is this: in guild wars you had your primary profession which basically denoted what your character was, but your secondary could change your character and you could be completely different in both playstyles and in basic mechanics. This in some ways leads to great diversity, but it also leads to people not feeling like their character is a master of anything, merely a jack of all trades. With people getting racial abilities and different weapon based abilities, your character is much more defined (which has it's own set of problems) but I think that's what they're going for this time around.

Also keep in mind that 8 professions to start with, original gw started with 6, and we added 4 new ones over 2 addons and 1 expansion. I think they're going above and beyond by starting with 8, I'm expecting several hybrids and many different possibilities.

The one thing that I've seen too many times is that companies make a sequel and make it EXACTLY THE SAME, with new missions and a few tweaks. I don't mind them shaking things up and changing the formula. In fact I look forward to it. They're still keeping many things the same, classes, weapons (slight change), skills/elites and almost definitely a big focus on pvp and a big revamp of pve. I think that's fantastic. The real key though is that when you make a sequel and it's quite different from the original you need to make it at least as good if not better. I think since they've been given far more funding and a much bigger dev team they can make this happen. Like I said before, I have faith in Anet to make this work and work well. Now we just get to wait and see what other info they feed to us piecemeal.

source - http://www.arena.net/blog/guild-wars-2-design-manifesto

So i missed this part, which brings up a few points that kuhla will like. Apparently solo friendly wasn't enough, now they've made very little need for grouping (not really a fan of that but ok). It turns out they make mention to quest and world quests (similar to the ones in WAR) and there is no xp penalty for having several people solo working together. Everyone gets credit for xp and loot. The downside is that some ass is going to walk around to all the solo players and attack mobs 2 times from a range and then run around collecting loot... but hey we'll see if they have ideas for that.

There's also a large scale pvp section with pve impact:

We even redesigned the competitive part of the game to be friendly like this. Now worlds can compete against each other, through the mists that separate them, for scarce resources that benefit an entire world. Joining this PvP competition is completely optional, just like it was in the original GW, but if you do compete you’re now going to find that your world welcomes you with open arms. You don’t have to join a party to join the fight. All you have to do is get out there and start helping. Everyone has the same objective, and if your world can get 501 people working for the same goal, that’s only going to be more helpful than 500 people.

Sounds like some serious shit, if they actually will allow 500 v 500. Also I'm glad I'm seeing pvp that rewards with pve. Often in games pvp is totally separate and there's no real big reward for pve (at least factions had shifting battle lines). So it will be interesting to see how that plays out as well.

EDIT: here's some more info on the pvp element some HUGE info:

source - http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/04/28...fighting-fires/

Eric Flannum: We basically divided our PVE and our PvP… well, our PVP is divided into two sections. Firstly, we have what we refer to as our “competitive PvP” which all players can go into. You don’t make a PvP character. You just take your character to a place in the mists – which is our space between worlds – and when you’re in there, you have everything unlocked. You have all the skills, you’re max level, you have a set of equipment every player has access to. They’re on equal footing. And then it works how it would on a server based first-person shooter, where you browse for a game and then play. There’s no unlocking. We’re having automated tournaments and things like that. There’s a couple of ways to play that, but it’s all completely on an even foot.

Secondly, we have world versus world – which is what would be called servers or a shards in another game. That’s more if you want to think of it as an open world PvP, where levels matter and you can have unequal fights like 5 on 1 or 3 on 2 – or even 100 on 50. That’s where we have our epic castle sieges and that kind of thing. In both of those types of PvP, they’re separate from each other and separate from the PvE, but you have the same character you take between them.

Small mention of "traits" which apparantly provide a passive:

Elementalist’s Stone Boots trait, which keeps his feet firmly planted on the ground even when an attack or skill effect would normally toss him through the air.

I've been checking their website every day for the past week waiting for this.

After reading this all I can say is wow. I mean it looks as though they're literally taking out every "side" quest from the game. The only quests that seem to be hinted at are the player stories (which are basically player specific missions). Everything else is world event based, which sounds cool as hell. I mean I thought they'd just kind of copy WAR's public quests but this is a pretty awesome extension of that idea. On the other bright side is exploration. I know kuhla loves to explore and just go off finding cool shit. This makes exploring even more awesome. I like that they're focusing much more on the pve aspects of this game, I'm pretty confident they can nail the pvp, so working on pve is a good step for them to take.

In all seriousness, any other mmo that is out when gw2 hits will probably get fucked over. I do not think you can compete effectively with a VERY GOOD "free" mmorpg that is dynamic.

Now I just want this game to finish and be released. I hope e3 gives us some new info/gameplay.

shitttttttttttt e3 hahaahahaha

june is soo epic

world cup + e3

soo much shit coming

gw2

kill zone 3

resistance 3

nintendo stupid stuff

gran turismo 5

360 slim

motion control stuff

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

I want to believe. I really do. All my feelings of excitement for this game are overshadowed by anxiety that they won't pull it off nearly as well as they think and it will end up being more annoying than anything. It sounds almost too ambitious. Breaking down my thoughts bit by bit from source (linked above) below:

In Guild Wars 2, our event system won't make you read a huge quest description to find out what's going on. You'll experience it by seeing and hearing things in the world. If a dragon is attacking, you won't read three paragraphs telling you about it, you'll see buildings exploding in giant balls of fire, and hear characters in the game world screaming about a dragon attack. You'll hear guards from nearby cities trying to recruit players to go help fight the dragon, and see huge clouds of smoke in the distance, rising from the village under siege.

Yea, I've thought about this a few times, specifically when playing Mass Effect 1&2. Quest giving characters usually TALKED to you and EXPLAINED the situation meaning you at least heard it. Not just WALL OF TEXT YOU DONT CARE ABOUT. At least in ME1&2 you had to hear them out and that usually meant you cared at least a tiny bit more about what the hell they were saying. There is nothing wrong with having a proper narrative in a game but excessive walls of text doesn't seem like a very natural way to communicate in a game. Makes sense that GW2 is trying to give quests in a more "active" way if that makes any sense.

If, on the other hand, players fail to destroy the army, it will establish a fort in friendly player territory. From there, the dredge will send shipments of troops and supplies to the fort from the main base while building up walls, turrets, and siege engines to help defend it. Enemy dredge forces will then begin to move out from their newly established fort to attack friendly player locations in the area...

I've mentioned this before that was a mechanic in Tabula Rasa where the enemy faction would occasionally send out dropships and troops to try and take over friendly bases and it was possible for them to succeed if no players were there. That was one aspect of the game that I really enjoyed because when there was a major assault then suddenly all the players in the friendly base would empty out to fight them back. Conversely, when a base was captured and you found a few people nearby you could often get them to band together and take the base back.

Every time you enter any map in the game, completely different events and situations could be occurring to discover in a new and different way. A village that was previously filled with friendly norn could, on a return trip, have been taken over by evil Sons of Svanir who are now using it as a base of operations and have put up their own architecture in place of the norn's.

That sounds like an extremely dangerous mechanic. Imagine you really need to do a quest in a zone and depending on what is randomly generated that quest becomes easier or harder. I can just imagine people zoning in, checking a nearby town "friendly ok we are good to go" or "enemies, re-zone so we can try to reset it" which would be yet another total immersion-breaker.

As an added bonus, we've also hidden hundreds of events all over the world that require interaction with the game world. This helps give an extra sense of reward and discovery....

That whole paragraph sounds awesome. It's the kind of thing I think I would personally find very rewarding. "quest is this way", "what's that way?", "i don't know, don't care, no reason to go there, quest doesn't need it", "fuck you i want to see what is over there".

I mean it looks as though they're literally taking out every "side" quest from the game.

I'm not sure how you figure that? That paragraph talking about the ogres destroying the house. That seems like a side quest, hardly something that would be part of the "main" character story. I think it's just that quests in general will be offered in a totally different way but I didn't notice anything that would imply taking out "side" quests. What about the hidden event stuff? That counts as side quests too.

When I think of main quests I think of quests that are necessary to either move a storyline or continue a campaign or progress into new/harder pve areas. One example would be the missions, every mission in guild wars was a "main" quest. Or aion, you had certain quests that were REQUIRED, in order to progress the campaign.

When I talk about side quests, look at something like "kill 10 boars" or "collect 15 semen specimens" or some other inane bullshit. This game looks like it decided to replace every side quest with their dynamic event system. Imagine for a moment if all WAR had was it's public quests, that's basically what arena-net is doing. Obviously it's not neccessary to complete any of these dynamic events, but they're going to be what makes or breaks most of the pve. However the "main" quests are still there, we'll get more info tomorrow but if I remember correctly it's a mix of what the guild wars missions were and what bioware quests are (like me, dragon age or even their new mmo). Basically you'll have an instanced area where the quest leader will make decisions that affect HIS character and give him slightly different outcomes. A single player experience that you can bring friends along with to play through.

Also they do mention that they're going to have dungeons, which is good. And some sort of faction war is hinted at as well (probably something to do with the mists).

oh god i so very much PRAY that they make the guild wars cities more lively

coming to this game from wow, the towns were so pitiful!

there was only 1 or 2 big cities, and it was just clumps of people stuck to the broker/storage.

nobody talked to anybody about anything, it was just WTB/ WTS/ etc.

such a far cry from wow where there were people running around dueling, chatting, etc..

ill give 1 thing to wow, the social factor was far more compelling than the actual game (server drama).

Depends how many people are allowed in a channel. Honestly I'll bet there will be probably still less social interaction in terms of dueling and just random all chatting, but there will probably be a bit more cohesion in terms of the dynamic events.

I do not expect guild wars to replace wow, or even draw the same set of players, I do expect it to be a very distinct alternative with a smaller player base and probably more cooperative oriented.

Another article came out yesterday: http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/pers...story-overview/

The short version is that there are multiple choices/storylines that are available and that means creating new characters will lead to experiencing more "content".

The big points that they mention are this:

The storyline is a solo campaign (you an invite friends, but only the leader is involved in decision making).

The storyline is stand alone. What occurs during the storyline is unique to your own character and only affects you, this includes a "home town" which is unique to your character, somewhat of an evolution of the hall of monuments, or a personalized guild hall, complete with merchants and npcs.

It's interesting the way they're approaching this game, however it seems almost strange that you have a fully single player experience that is effectively separate from the open world events occurring in the game. I wonder if that might lead to a bit of a disconnect, where some people will play this game essentially like a single player game, while others will be more interested in the multiplayer...

Another article came out yesterday: http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/pers...story-overview/

The short version is that there are multiple choices/storylines that are available and that means creating new characters will lead to experiencing more "content".

The big points that they mention are this:

The storyline is a solo campaign (you an invite friends, but only the leader is involved in decision making).

The storyline is stand alone. What occurs during the storyline is unique to your own character and only affects you, this includes a "home town" which is unique to your character, somewhat of an evolution of the hall of monuments, or a personalized guild hall, complete with merchants and npcs.

It's interesting the way they're approaching this game, however it seems almost strange that you have a fully single player experience that is effectively separate from the open world events occurring in the game. I wonder if that might lead to a bit of a disconnect, where some people will play this game essentially like a single player game, while others will be more interested in the multiplayer...

I think that is probably what will happen but, to me, that seems like a good thing. I think it helps avoid compromise at the cost of a lot of extra dev time. They can make an RPG and an MMO in one game, slightly seperated, but don't have to compromise either by trying to smush one game-type/play-style into the other.

Warrior and Traits came out today, I'm not going to crap all over this thread or even bother summarizing, but they've changed quite a bit, I like where they're going with this. On a side note, that bow skill looks sick, I wonder if/what a ranger would have to top that.

Warrior and Traits came out today, I'm not going to crap all over this thread or even bother summarizing, but they've changed quite a bit, I like where they're going with this. On a side note, that bow skill looks sick, I wonder if/what a ranger would have to top that.

link for that there lazy folks - http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/professions/warrior/

I was going to type out some sort of summary, mostly just for my own thought process, but it is laid out pretty damn simple at the source I don't think any summary would be useful.

Holy shit 9 weapons. Dual wielding swords, axes and maces good god.

This is just sick. Goddam.

I realllllllllly don't want to play a warrior class in guild wars 2 if it ends up like guild wars 1 where i feel useless half the time but damnnnnnnnnnnn.

Make an alt, problem solved. It looks like they're trying to make the warrior a bit more useful in pve this time around. Also when you don't have to group, someone with lots of hp/armor and decent damage output seems to be a pretty decent class.

I feel the same way as you as far as making another warrior. I loved my warrior, in pvp, in pve he was mediocre. Never accomplished anything better than another class, limited mana pool making him relatively useless beyond a set amount of skills. The way they've changed warriors seems better already, more weapons, more options for movesets, combos on one key, not to mention shield stance looked like it did something to prevent an elemental attack. I would still LOVE to know how the aggro system is in this game, or if there is one, because in guild wars there really wasn't much of an aggro system and it was a pain the ass, I do hope they put some sort of threat/aggro system in guild wars 2 that's a bit better.

As far as the way classes are shaping up, elementalist looks unchanged except for a bit of utility, warrior looks like he got a revamp in terms of skills/stances (stances are toggles now and cooldown is applied after the toggle-off). Now we need to see if warriors can actually tank or if they're just the jack of all trades melee dps.

On a side note, with all the movement based skills (notice the leaps/charges and stomps) I wonder just how much shit it going to go on in large scale battles. I mean I don't think all the enemy minions will use every skill in the book, but I wonder just how chaotic mass pve will be, or for that matter 8v8 pvp? FUCK i wish guild wars was releasing info during e3... We have to wait until gamescon, pax and comic con.

Amidst all the e3 stuff a small bit of info was posted about gw2.

http://www.arena.net/blog/eric-and-ben-ans...rior-and-traits

The "aggro" or lack of an aggro system is back. Their classification of a tank is someone who has support abilities and a large health pool.

No collision, which i can understand in open world pve, but they almost speak as though it's the same in pvp... I hope not.

Conditions can now stack, they talk about bleeding stacking and I'm assuming this would increase the health per second you lose, and in a way makes sense. A smart and interesting decision.

Marking is still there, but they make mention of it giving some different properties, my bet is that it will increase damage dealt to a marked target.

Last is probably that traits are something found in the world, you can have plenty equiped but not all of them will be active, this system is still ultra confusing without some sort of chart or graph. I'll just wait to see how this works when we see some gameplay later on during summer at gamescon or another convention.

Kind of a big post today dealing with healing and actually covers a bit of their overall ideas for the game.

Source: http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/combat/healing-death/

The 3 major points are this:

No dedicated healing class. There is no monk (at least not the same way as in gw1).

There are "downed" abilities and states. If you've ever played or seen a third person shooter (like gears of war) then you know exactly what this is. It actually reminds me more of borderlands though. When you lose all you hp, you are "downed" and that means you get different weaker skills (throwing a rock or using grasping earth) however if you kill an enemy while downed you come back. Or you can have an ally revive you. If neither happen you can straight up die, and choose to be resurrected or spawn at a spawn point. They also mention you can spawn anywhere you've explored, unfortunately I think this means death porting will be back... also resurrecting at a spawn location costs a small fee now, but there is no death penalty.

The final major part is how they organize their gameplay archetypes, I'll just quote this one.

You could say instead of DPS/heal/tank, we have our own trinity of damage, support, and control, but we prefer to think of them as the variety of elements that create a diverse and dynamic combat system that gives each player a toolbox to work with to solve any encounter we might throw their way.

Having read that.....

I want to believe. I really do. All my feelings of excitement for this game are overshadowed by anxiety that they won't pull it off nearly as well as they think and it will end up being more annoying than anything. It sounds almost too ambitious.

.....I can only say that exact sentiment again.

Yea, i'm ok with some of what they mentioned (no dedicated healer) but I'm scared about the downed status and no real death penalty. The issue of death porting is going to come back, not to mention what happens in a dungeon? Do you just get to start from the beginning with no real negative impact? Hey I'm all for making certain things easier, but when there isn't any death penalty, it does make me wonder just how certain "hard" instances will be hard if you can theoretically suicide onto the mobs over and over again.

The main issue I have with the downed status is just how much you'll be allowed to do, it looks like you're limited to just very small cc moves and maybe some pitiful damage. If that's the case it should be fine but if it's like borderlands was, you were still allowed to shoot, and often repeatedly being downed wasn't an issue if you could manage to pick off one enemy each time. Also, how long can you stay downed for? I mean if it's relatively long period of time than larger scale pvp may end up with a human minefield of down players that will cc or plink away at you if you get close enough.

I do think cc will play a huge part in this game, and that damage reduction/healing spells will be far more prevalent across classes. This could be fantastic or it could be horrible. We get to wait until gamescon until we find out more.

Rangers are back wholesale. They look pretty much unchanged. You get 3 pet slots now (can be switched outside of combat) pets now have a leveling system that gives them skills, but still remain mostly the same.

Rangers have the ability to use swords/axes/daggers/longswords and longbows/shortbows also warhorns (no more bunny thumpers). The daggers are the only interesting part because i'm fairly certain that hints at some sort of assassin like class.

I'm glad their revealing more and more information, but it's somewhat sad that so far all of the classes are pretty much the exact same classes from guild wars 1. Oh well my bet is there will be at least 1 more class reveal before gamescon.

EDIT: OH MY GOD I CAN'T BELIEVE I DIDN'T NOTICE THAT THEY ADDED BOWSTRINGS.

After going through some of their concept videos I found a small bit of information. Polearms are going to be available as weapons, and since warriors can't use them I would assume they'll be for the other "heavy" armor archetype. Well if they don't use polearms they certainly considered it, because I've seen 3 separate "weapon sets" and all 3 of them had polearms as well as the usual. Also gamescom is almost here I have a feeling we'll see one more class reveal (probably at the show) and they'll have 4 of 8 playable classes there.

They posted a video on their website, more news and demos will come out of gamescon, I guess they allow a level 1 human and a level 47 char to be played. The video shows some scenes and sections in game, they look fantastic. They've really stepped up their architecture and environments from the previous games, looks amazing. The dragons shown look like dragons should. They're huge and look like you need a serious party to bring it down. I really do hope for this, because unfortunately most of the bosses and guild wars were rather small and the few "larger" bosses didn't seem nearly as cool as they could be. Also I see more and more destructible environments and actions they seem to be focusing on making their event system impact the world. They do talk about persistence, but I'm still not sure just how persistent it will be and how they will handle it.