Tactically Inept

Student life.

kuhla

Documentation and communication are key as well. If the professor was made wise of the lack of work that particular person was contributing to the project then, there would be a considerable difference in grade within the group. Teachers aren't dumb, they just need to be made aware. All is fair in love and war. An education is a literal war.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you, gentlemen.

Unfortunately, I sorely lack patience. It's not that he doesn't contribute, it's just that dealing with him is a headache. He acts like he's the boss but only wants to "delegate".

I agree with Ren though; I still treat these people with respect... but I ignore them when I don't have to deal with them.

• 2 months later...

Fuuuuuu I hate CSULB. I signed up for my oral exam for my MSEE and I have had absolutely ZERO feedback other than the day I signed up. I found out from my professor last Wednesday that they should have finalized the schedule by Friday and I emailed the department chair to know what the schedule was. No response.

Today I decided to go up to try to find out any information from the professors, and whatnot and absolutely no one was at their office every door was closed (as usual). I walked to the department chair's office and posted on his door was a schedule of all the exams.

I'm scheduled on the first day >_<. I'm not ready for my 2 hours of grilling this Thursday.

I'm sorry for your loss. I really don't like their administration and overall student services. Its a good campus otherwise and I heard its pretty good for nursing. However they are very backwards in many administrative respects IMO. Maybe I've just been spoiled by Cal Poly's admin for which I thought was horrible until I went to CSULB.

I'm trying to finish for Spring so we won't see each other sadly :(

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats, Tech!

Sorry to hear that, Richard. Hope it went well.

Almost done with this semester. It's been one hellride. I came to terms that there will always be loafers in group projects and just to deal with it. Lost a lot of sleep this term but I can't wait for Friday to come...next week is going to fly by.

FYI, I failed the oral exam. I'm not master's level yet. Essentially it came down to the details and presentation that I have to work on. There's a lot of things I need to improve.

Good thing I was planning ahead. Most people take their exam on their last semester before graduating. I didn't want to risk failing it on my last semester and decided to take it right before my last semester in the case that I did fail, I can pursue alternatives. And luck be it...it was exactly as I feared. But now I know exactly what I need to know, and how better to study for it.

On the bright side, one of the professors in all his busy-ness was nice enough to offer to help me study by doing some practice oral exams for next semester. He was one the profs on the committee that interviewed said I should just try again rather than go the project route. We'll see how it is next semester.

• 2 months later...

Failed the CPA exam so miserably... I feel like crawling into a hole right now and just hibernating but I really need to just suck it up and start studying again.

Going to focus on mashing out my school project and research paper then just touching up on it over the lecture time and focus on the retake.

DAMN.... I hate retakes but I should have studied more. I have no excuses.

Don't feel too bad, we all win some and lose some. The best thing to take away from it is as you said, focus on studying it again. Now you know what to expect and you will have a leg up on your 2nd time around.

Focus on what you got out of your 1st attempt and find your weak points. Tackle those first and learn them. If they are too hard to overcome, then try considering some of your stronger points. The two schools of thought is either fix your weak points, or make your strong points unconquerably strong so that even if you might not be prepared for everything, you will be able do just well enough on the parts you do know to get a passing grade.

You know the material now and what to expect. Now work at it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I hate school......especially my current course on Linear Systems Analysis.....just got my mid-term back and low and behold a great failure. This is my 2nd time taking it since I dropped it mid-semester 2 years ago. He's since changed the grading scale significantly.

A = 80%

B = 55-80%

C = 35-55%

D = 15-35%

F = 15%

Oh yeah 8% of your grade is for attending class. My last midterm was a 16/100 -___-. At least I did pretty well with a 61% on my 1st midterm but that was only the "review" section. Blargh, and the remaining material is getting exponentially harder. It took the professor 1 hr 40 minutes just to write the exam answers on the board (without answering questions) and we only had 2 hours to take the exam.

There are so many terms and primary points that I simply never had a good grasp of or never heard of in the first point that makes this course extrodinarily tough.

I wish I was able to take advanced systems engineering instead because eveyrone says that class is like 10x easier :'(. Control systems is a seriously hard topic.....

Times like this makes me want to sell all my belongings and live like a hermit in a 3rd world.

• 4 weeks later...

I was driving home the other day after class and I suddenly realized...

HOLY SMOKES, it's week 12 in the semester and i haven't attended my second class!?

Then I thought about it again...

I think I am only taking one class this semester...

I think I'm right...

I hate school.

hahahahaha... thanks Richard.

My friend told me something around those lines just recently.

On Friday my group and I presented in front of our clients; it went well. Just finishing up tailoring the paper. Once I'm done; I'm letting another groupmate worry about printing/binding the project. I'm done.

I really can't wait to be done with school. Just 1 more week.

70c003d69dbfe3ac51195fe5b2e674f312427783

• 4 weeks later...