official post anything

It does not affect people who currently hold certifications, it affects people who use/used them and were planning on getting more. Sports Challet was one of the major providers for scuba certification at a rather low cost. I know personally I would have chosen to get my cert through them. There are other stores that provide scuba certs as well, but they're certainly not as large/prevalent as sports challet was.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

source - http://bigstory.ap.org/article/833b30d9ad6346dd94f643ca76679a02/house-committee-votes-require-women-register-draft

WASHINGTON (AP) — Women would be required to register for the military draft under a House committee's bill that comes just months after the Defense Department lifted all gender-based restrictions on front-line combat units.

A divided Armed Services Committee backed the provision in a sweeping defense policy bill that the full House will consider next month, touching off a provocative debate about the role of women in the military. The panel also turned aside a measure backed by Democrats to punish the Citadel military college in South Carolina for flying the Confederate flag.
[....]

http://i.imgur.com/NnoGhN1.gif

• 2 weeks later...

What programming languages do you guys know and how hard was it for you to learn it?

I'm trying to build up more skills but at the same time I am unmotivated and scatterbrained in terms of what I want to do first.

Learn how to properly use Excel before starting to dive into other languages. If you can accomplish multiple lookups, data transformations, creating privot tables and minor data analysis as well as some basic macro creation then you'd be far better served than learning some basic python or some other programming language.

Every company I know of uses excel in some way or another, and sometimes learning how to do more advanced things with excel can either save you some time, or allow you to perform tasks/projects that were otherwise considered impossible or too tedious to attempt.

Also with the larger trend towards "big data" and the need to actually take this data and put it into usable format and analyze it, people with solid excel foundations will be increasingly useful.

If you absolutely need to learn a programming language I would suggest learning the basics of SQL and how to interact with databases. The actual commands are secondary to learning how to use logic to gain access to the data and what particular function you should be querying the database with.

If you never want to work with databases then you could learn some basic python, and try and figure out how to automate various small tasks that take a few minutes of your day. Learn what can be automated easily and what can't be, this will save you time trying to write code for something too complex for a computer to properly handle.

I find it easiest to learn a language when I have an actual need to use it. Either from homework assignments or RL needs.

Since you currently have neither, why don't make an RL need? I use Excel regularly at home and extensively at work when I need to do data analysis on a large subset of data. If you ever need assistance I'd be happy to help out (via web conference Teamviewer session) or something. Just let me know. I've had to teach excel to a bunch of interns to assist me with my work data analysis.

In regards to general programming, I'd recommend learning some basics of programming such as understanding what a variable is, flow control, object oriented programming etc. After that, you can pretty much pick up on any programming language because they all follow the same general pattern with some nuances. Even assembly does the same thing with the exception that the code just far more cryptic.

To say you know a single language is not very useful in the programming world, unless you have to program that language specifically IMO. A programmer should be able to pick up on any one. I've programmed in countless ones due to the needs of school and my jobs.

As you're in the business field, I believe the languages malaphax mentioned would be useful but I wouldn't necessarily suggest learning MySQL but rather the concepts behind MySQL. Understanding how data flows as a database is important. VBA has been especially useful for me personally in doing quick and simple code. You will probably encounter Python and Java regularly too.

Thank you all for your input.

I do use excel a lot at work and have had to compile a few macros. I say compile because I didn't actually write it all.. I search for code snippets and alter it to fit my needs.

Tino- I was very interested in Javascript.

Richard-- Ren said the same thing about actually learning based on need. I have always found coding interesting and wanted to get in to it more. I may take you up on your offer for tutelage if I get stuck down the road. Thanks in advance.

I took a Coding in C back in my undergrad years so I have a little bit of exposure. Took a VBA programming class in Grad school but I'm not sure where I stand in terms of knowledge. I think I just need to use it more.

I say compile because I didn't actually write it all.. I search for code snippets and alter it to fit my needs.

Welcome to coding. Please direct your attention to stack overflow and if they don't have an answer for you then it can't be done.

imo the biggest difference between an experienced programmer and a novice is knowing how to ask (search) the right questions. object oriented programming (OOP) only has a handful of fundamental concepts and once you understand those, you more or less can understand all OOP languages.

i'll agree with richard's points that its really simple to learn coding when you have a pressing need for it (like your job). and its much less important to understand 1 language than understand the concepts of OOP that can be applied across multiple languages. in my line of work I almost always don't get to pick what language I end up programming in (though if I did it'd be python).

As for SQL/VBA I think this is a use case call. If you're working with databases/Excel regularly at your job then its a no-brainer. but if I wanted to learn coding as a hobby sure enough those would be near the bottom of my list for things to learn.

the best languages to learn imo are c and c++. if you can learn either of these, everything else on the list will be a cakewalk. almost all modern languages are built off of c and c++ and they are still extremely relevant in almost all software industries.

It's very easy to use and has a ton of plugins for various other programs/interactions. I've had to do some very minor work in python before and I expect that people will use it as go to for odd projects and scripts that can't be done easily in other languages.

In the financial industry I know some people use Python to do some data analysis and statistics with certain plugins, mostly because working in R is a pain in the ass.

Just randomly dropping in to say that Python is kind of showing up everywhere. Seems like it might be a useful language in the future.

It's very easy to use and has a ton of plugins for various other programs/interactions. I've had to do some very minor work in python before and I expect that people will use it as go to for odd projects and scripts that can't be done easily in other languages.

In the financial industry I know some people use Python to do some data analysis and statistics with certain plugins, mostly because working in R is a pain in the ass.

I do alot of work in python, it is much simpler to code in python than c/c++ but keep in mind that it is a scripting language (though you can run this on arduino/raspberry pi's and I think some new ADAS platforms are using this as their main programming language). the biggest advantage is that it has a huge "casual" programming user base and it is incredibly easy to find support/ code snippets/ third party modules.

python is also kind of known in the numerical analysis community for having a module of some sort for just about anything, but I don't do much data analysis (other than demos) and matlab is the default go-to in my industry.

• 2 weeks later...

source - http://bigstory.ap.org/article/833b30d9ad6346dd94f643ca76679a02/house-committee-votes-require-women-register-draft

WASHINGTON (AP) — Women would be required to register for the military draft under a House committee's bill that comes just months after the Defense Department lifted all gender-based restrictions on front-line combat units.

A divided Armed Services Committee backed the provision in a sweeping defense policy bill that the full House will consider next month, touching off a provocative debate about the role of women in the military. The panel also turned aside a measure backed by Democrats to punish the Citadel military college in South Carolina for flying the Confederate flag.

[....]

http://i.imgur.com/NnoGhN1.gif

source - http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/15/politics/senate-approves-women-draft/index.html

Washington (CNN)Women may soon be required to register for the military draft.

The Senate overwhelmingly passed a $602 billion defense bill Tuesday that included an amendment that would require women to register for the draft -- also known as the selective service -- for the first time in history.

The National Defense Authorization Act passed 85-13, although some Republican senators protested against the inclusion of the provision pertaining to women and the draft.

[....]

https://i.imgur.com/M9UfgnK.gifv

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

So I see people talking about Idris Elba have a pro kickboxing match (link + video: https://themaclife.com/video-idris-elba-claims-victory-in-professional-kickboxing-debut/ )

Elba took the fight as a part of a new three part documentary (“Idris Elba: Fighter”) in which the actor trains across the world while learning the history of Muay Thai and kickboxing. The show is set to air on the Discovery Channel early next year.

Looking on his wikipedia apprently he is also a successful DJ and...

Idris broke a land speed record, drove a dragster, and piloted a plane in his show on the Discovery channel Idris Elba: No Limits. He is also an avid rally fan, having competed in the Irish Tarmac Rally Championship as well as starring on the show Idris Elba: No Limits, where he races a rally car with help from Ari Vatanen.

....also has an award for People magazine top 100 most beautiful people

...like wtf....

• 6 months later...

I was talking with malaphax about this and I want to start semi-regularly hitting up random stuff from Yelp possibly on Saturday nights. I feel like I would benefit from taking more risks with trying out new food options.

The link: https://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=restaurant&start=0&attrs=RestaurantsPriceRange2.1,RestaurantsPriceRange2.2,RestaurantsPriceRange2.3&open_time=7035&l=g:-117.79403686523438,33.954940325558134,-118.00003051757812,33.78390189043864

Filter:

• Best Match (special note below)
  • All price categories included except for the highest ("$$$$")
  • Open at 9:15pm on a Friday
  • Tagged "restaurant"

The map/range restriction is a little bigger than the one I did previously.

Special note: "Highest Rated" and "Most Reviewed" sorting limits results to 4 pages. "Best Match" results appear to be unlimited but honestly I do not trust this sorting option.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

source - http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/nevada-goes-green-recreational-marijuana-alcohol-industry-wants-piece-pot-n778261

And there is another obstacle facing the roll out of recreational marijuana in Nevada: Alcohol wholesalers.

When the recreational marijuana statue was approved by voters, it gave alcohol wholesalers exclusive rights to the distribution licenses for the first 18 months it was enacted.

Letters were mailed to eligible license holders in the state, but Chris Thompson, the executive director for the Las Vegas chapter of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws (NORML) said with few responses, tax commissioners approved a temporary regulation that would allow the department to make exceptions for non-wholesalers.

In May, the Independent Alcohol Distributors of Nevada filed a complaint saying the booze wholesalers should have exclusive rights to the licenses and that a May 31 license deadline for the wholesalers should not be enforced, according to the Las Vegas Review-Journal.

Ohhhhh. It's like a soft bottleneck. Make it so that only specific, existing business can sell it and then have it so that few of those businesses actually request a permit. Smaller numbers and price collusion becomes so much easier.