Jedi2155

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 months later...

The worst part is the one with the HUD (the only one I was seriously considering), is in the Advanced Package for

top-of-the-line Prius Plug-in Hybrid Advanced jumping all the way up to $39,525.

So gay....right now the Volt can be had for as low as 38k - $7500 tax credit so about 31.5k.

While the PHEV Prius Advanced is 39.5k - 2.5k tax credit for 37k for the Prius.

So essentially adding a PHEV system to a vehicle is roughly a $10,000 increase over a standard vehicle (I can explain this value if you want), which is still far too much for the average consumer. You'll never get close to making the savings in the fuel cost, but for me, I love a gadget. I think PHEV's will start making financial sense once they hit around $5000 over the standard model.

Sorry that's not that great. I think the audio cues alone are more than capable of directing me to a place. Also I prefer a clean view of what is in front of me, rather than having a speedometer in front of my face. Huds are designed to convey important information to you without you taking your eyes off of your target. This doesn't make sense in cars because you never hit speeds of which would be necessary, unless you used that system for rallying to replace a co-driver I can't see any real point. I am more than capable of watching ahead of me, listening to directions from a gps monitoring my speed and rpm as well as other necessary tasks needed for driving. A hud does not appreciably increase my driving skill or make my driving easier. It's just "cool" in the same sense that people think having extra boost gauges are "cool". I have a feeling the novelty of it would wear thin very quickly.

TELL ME THAT ISN"T AWESOME IN A CAR?

Where is this located on the windshield? Dead center? That seems very distracting.

Either way, I have to agree with malaphax here, granted I consider our points of view to be rather purist and outside the norm, but I want a certain minimum amount of distractions in my vehicle. Fewer gadgets, fewer user electronics, a strong focus on handling (often found in lighter vehicles, note this is not the same as power), durability and economy.

I understand your guys points completely, and agree completely. It is a novelty and has no real purpose but since I am a gadget geek and love optics/sights I also have an extra bias here. I was almost ready to buy a $800 ACOG sight just because I love the ideas of the sight so much even though it would be completely useless on an Airsoft rifle.

I also understood the entire point of HUDs before this was even brought up. Although I will have to say the navigation feature is useful on the HUD as there were times where an unexpected turn would come up faster than I expected (small residential roads in particular), and keeping my eyes on the road would be a much better improvement. Speedometer, not so much, but the +/- EV and regen would be useful for maximizing energy conservation versus paying attention to the dash display.

The gps on my phone tells you repeatedly when the turn is, it's rather hard to miss unless you're driving past alot of very close residential streets in which case just make a U turn.

As far as the meter allowing you to drive more effectively, I call bullshit. Just drive smoothly, from what little of economic driving I know about, you have to drive somewhat like a faggot to improve efficiency. Constantly using cruise control and only breaking when you absolutely must. I don't recommend those things, nor do I think driving normally/conservative would be significantly worse than trying to micro manage your actions based on what a meter says. You'd probably try to compensate too often and end up being worse than if you just kept a pretty constant driving style.

The gps on my phone tells you repeatedly when the turn is, it's rather hard to miss unless you're driving past alot of very close residential streets in which case just make a U turn.

As far as the meter allowing you to drive more effectively, I call bullshit. Just drive smoothly, from what little of economic driving I know about, you have to drive somewhat like a faggot to improve efficiency. Constantly using cruise control and only breaking when you absolutely must. I don't recommend those things, nor do I think driving normally/conservative would be significantly worse than trying to micro manage your actions based on what a meter says. You'd probably try to compensate too often and end up being worse than if you just kept a pretty constant driving style.

I thought about mentioning it, but I have horrible hearing so I can't really rely on what the voice says (I can't understand it about 1/3rd of the time.) Not to mention my Magnetic compass/GPS is horrible right now.

You obviously know very little about economic driving, because you do not have to drive like a faggot to improve efficiency imo. Also, normally versus micromanage, can have a significant impact on your MPG. Just driving intelligently gives me a 4 MPG boost from 32 to 36 average.

I was a test driver for 2 years where my job was drive a vehicle consistently and normally (0.2 g acceleration) over various courses and I tried doing that on my Civic and it resulted in a significant MPG drop versus my former driving habits (the 4 MPG drop). If you compensate correctly, you can get an amazing level of increase in efficiency.

If you were truly a faggot, and drove like 52 mph, and used various techniques, such as pulse and glide, pay attention to the your IGN states such the following I link below, you can nearly double your fuel economy.

- http://www.gill.co.uk/products/digital_ign...ign_advance.asp

- http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6179

- http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13674

A Ford Fusion Hybrid reached over 1400 miles on a single tank of gas (81.5 MPG)

http://green.autoblog.com/2009/04/28/ford-...-a-single-tank/

Most people are just plain poor drivers having very little understanding of basic physics.

*edit*

- The real guide to hypermile

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1510

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Was able to get up close/in a Chevy Volt yesterday on campus. Chevy was having a promotional thing with a few cars in the quad. Notes upon close inspection:

* Interior is better in person that it looks in pictures and the very brief glance I got at the last auto show. I'm wouldn't say I love it or it's great but it's certainly not bad.

* They really need to delete that A-piller. It really hurts the look of the car.

* No complaints about the back half of the car.

* That flap under the front is probably for aerodynamics but from a distance it looks cheap.

* I just barely fit but I do fit.

- A was talking to the guys in the vehicle side the other week, and they were complaining about the A-Pillar as well but more on a visibility issue than an aesthetic. I honestly have had no problems with it nor have I noticed anything about it. My main complaints would be more regarding the visibility of the rear B/C pillars. I did notice that I was talking to two people who were 6' + and I am 5'8" so our view of the car is quite different. I also sit really up front with seats at 80-85 degrees while most people probably have their seats at 75 or less.

Whatever the matter; your view has been discussed before in the Community, but I don't agree with it. I find it more attractive with the pillar.

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?15...ut-like-concept

- Really don't like the back half, needs more cargo space in the hatch area, and leg room. Visibility is way worse than the Prius. They did the front pretty well in terms of visibility, as I have no problems qualms. Probably the worse car I've driven in terms of front visibility is my brother's '99 Mustang, followed by my Dad's 2002 Buick Century. Best visibility has been my 2003 Civic, Prius, and the volt is pretty close to that.

- The flap is the Air Dam used purely for aerodynamics. Does make it look cheap..