Sign in to follow this  
Jedi2155

Chevy Volt

Posted Image

Black Red interior = hawt (Opel version of the Volt/Ampera).

Gawd I want Volt so badly....ATM I think i'm far more likely to buy a volt than a Prius.

well at least the cabin interior looks like a car LOLOOLOLOL

they call it opel ampera ?

and yess that car is better looking than prius.

altho i like the new front end of the current prius tho.

the volt fronts looks like civic.

WHOOO!!!!! I might be getting to test a Volt!

http://gm-volt.com/2009/12/02/california-w...the-chevy-volt/

The three utilities are Pacific Gas and Electric, Southern California Edison and Sacramento Municipal Utility District. The learning will be used to improve future driver?s ownership experiences with electric cars.

I hope I don't quit before they come in!

No Nissan EV's for me...

http://gm-volt.com/2010/01/28/nissan-takin...agement-system/

Thermal management of the battery system is extremely important in insuring proper aging of the battery system. There are many reasons for this, but first hand experience tells me Nissan is being very stupid the design of this battery.

FACK! YEAH!!!!

http://gm-volt.com/2010/04/13/update-chevy...ning-mpg-goals/

The team was questioned about whether the Volt prototypes are achieving their stated goal of 40 miles of pure electric range from a full charge. Farah replied that ?things are going well.? He said ?we are regularly hitting our 40 mile target and exceeding it.?

Farah did explain that consumers will experience about a 20% variability in electric range depending on three variables in the following order of importance:

?Driving aggressiveness is number one, terrain is number two, weather and temperature is number three,? he said. Bly noted in cold weather a car consumes as much energy to keep its occupants warm as it does to travel down the road.

The team was again asked this question. Farah explained the team is still using the original 2007 concept?s goal of 50 mpg, and for the first time provided a clue as to how it will turn out.

?I still use the target of 50 MPG as the bogey,? said Farah. ?So far I haven?t been disappointed.?

Fuel tank size remains a secret, but the official spec at this point is 300 miles of range on a full tank of gas

in charge sustaining mode, starting after the 40 miles of battery electric range.

I was really afraid of 32 miles electric range and 25-35 MPG in charge sustaining mode but they must have really tuned that gas engine.

Since I was using 33.56 KWHr/gallon of gas @ 23% gas engine efficiency + 87% efficiency in mechanical to electrical work to the batteries/wheels would result in only give us about 6700 watts to work with per gallon of gas. I was assuming car like the volt would use at around 200-250 watts/mile city-highway giving me around 26-34 MPG.

My guess is that they got the aerodynamics/power electronic efficiencies much higher to bring it to between 150-200 watts/mile + 95% efficiency and maybe a crazy gas engine that could have a thermodynamic efficiency of between 27-30%! I can't imagine would what happen if they put a turbo in it!

It takes about 10 hours to charge a fully depleted Chevy Volt battery with a standard electrical outlet, though less than half that with a 240 volt outlet. While the car goes zero to 60 in an unremarkable 8 seconds or so, it still feels zippy when accelerating (full disclosure, the Chevy driving partner said I was being "wussy" with my accelerating).

I'm #25 or so on the list for a dealer getting 23 vehicles. He mentioned he will be selling it AT MSRP so thats a good place to get it...official pricing is rumored to be released tomorrow.

Dealer Order form is here already:

http://gm-volt.com/2010/07/26/chevrolet-vo...dard-equipment/

Electric drive unit, Voltec (estimated: 150 hp [111 kW] motoring power, 273 lb-ft of torque [368 N-m] motoring torque, 74 hp [55 kW] generating power Engine , Range Extender, 1.4L Internal Combustion Engine (estimated: 80 hp [60 kW]), requires premium fuel

Premium Fuel WTF?

Color Options:

Silver Ice Metallic, Black, Crystal Red Metallic Tint,

White Diamond Tricoat, Cyber Gray Metallic, and Viridian Joule Tricoat.

Available options include a premium trim package with leather-wrapped steering wheel, leather trim seats, and graphic door inserts. There is a rear view camera/sensor option, and a polished 17 inch wheels option.

Yeaaaaaaaaahh!

Richard most "luxury" cars require premium fuel. Almost all bmw's, mercedez and high end audi. So that doesn't surprise me. However that is kind of funny how a car that's all about mpg uses premium...

Not sure, but I was talking about it today with our mechanic and he explained knocking as a second combustion at the opposite end of the piston usually causing the two forces to counteract each other and also probably causing an incomplete combustion cycle. So yeah I would probably lean towards cleaner burning as well if not at the vest least more efficient.

They're going to have green accents kuhla....

Which would be cool if it wasn't an overpriced, underpowered, american prius wannabe.

Posted Image

It seems as if demand for the Volt is sufficient enough for GM to increase production from 30,000 vehicles to 45,000 vehicles for the model year 2012....

http://gm-volt.com/2010/08/03/how-gm-decid...duction-volume/

?On the first day of the pricing announcement over 70,000 people visited GetMyVolt.com,? he said. ?Over 25,000 people added their names to the Volt enthusiast list,? he added.

Though there was some negative press and opinion about the $41,000 ($33,500 net) MSRP, the strikingly affordable $350 lease payement and the ability to for dealers to order the car induced a surge of interest and action. On GM-Volt.com over 30,000 people visited the site that day, and regular traffic volume has remained elevated since then.

*edit added Volt fuel efficiency numbers*

184.3 - 40 mile All Electric Range (AER)

144.3 miles Gas

144.3/4.3 gallons gas

33.56 MPG

300 mile extended range / 33.56 MPG

8.94 gallon fuel tank as rumored by many to be the final gas tank size of the vehicle.

Based on these numbers I think they're going to get anywhere between 32-35 MPG on the EPA test cycle during Charge Sustain mode. Despite everything else I love about the vehicle....those numbers are abysmal and reinforces the idea that I think GM's engineers on their gas engines are vastly inferior to the competition.

In terms of best overall power train efficiencies, I think Ford followed by Toyota has some of the best gas engine designs for efficiency while German automakers for diesels of course.

Motorweek does not know how to drive a car and AutoTrends also sucks.

Posted Image

GM devised this leg of driving as a competition. Teams of one or two journalists took turns at the wheel, each completing half of the trip. Single journalists got to drive the whole time. The team that could arrive to the destination with the most electric range remaining would get to have a Volt to take home for one month.

-As I previously reported, my team traveled the 45.9 miles with 3 miles remaining on the meter. I personally took it easy with accelerating and braking and managed to go 18.9 miles on 8 miles of registered range used, but my partner was a -bit more stompy on the pedals.

-The current winning team, composed of EV advocate Chelsea Sexton and Tamara Warren of Gotryke.com managed to traverse the 45.8 miles with 12 miles still remaining, an effective range of at least 57.8 but likely more.

-The lowest team had their generator go on on 36.9 miles.

Average was 50.2 miles of EV range