Tactically Inept

2008 MCAS Miramar Air Show

kuhla

What: Miramar Marine Core Air Station Air Show

When: Friday Oct.3rd through Sunday Oct.5th , 8am-4pm

Where: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=...154495&z=13

Cost: Free, except for food, drink and driving.

More Info - http://www.miramarairshow.com/

If you want to get up close to a lot of military hardware (ground vehicles, weapons, aircraft) then this is a pretty good show to go to. Richard and I went 2 years ago and I had a pretty fun time. Had an opportunity to check out a lot of stuff in person. We didn't go last year because I think we were both really busy. Oh well. So it is coming around again this year and I figure I might as well invite anyone/everyone who wants to come. A couple of things to note though....

(1) When Richard and I went last year, we left early. We wanted to be there when the gates open. Why? There are a fuck-ton of people at this event all day from beginning to end. If you want to see everything, you are going to need time. Last time, we left at closing and that meant we were trapped in the parking lot for about 2 hours before we got on the road finally at like 6pm. I remember turning my truck off and just sitting there because I didn't want to waste gas. This emphasizes that this is an all-day event. I think Richard and I got up at 5:30am last time, drove down there and had breakfast at some local fast-food. I think we got back into fullerton a little after dinner time (and then went out to eat?).

(2) This is more of my opinion than anything else, Richard can chime in if he agrees with it or not. The type of people the air show draws are similar to the kind of people gun shows draw. This means there will be some weird people or going-ons that seem odd. Therefore I usually keep my thoughts about xyz to myself, act ignorant and then discretely discuss my thoughts with whomever I am there with.

(3) If you want to bring a backpack with water/food, whatever, fine, but keep in mind it will be searched. The line to get in is huge. If you don't bring anything into the event, like Richard and I did last time, then you can go into this much quicker moving line where marines basically just wave you through. I may bring a backpack this time for water and snacks.

......so yea. If you want to come, reply. I can post some pics from last time if requested (but not today).

I can't go on friday. I thought I had mentioned that but I guess I didn't. I have class in the morning which would mean we wouldn't be able to get out of fullerton until, earliest, 9:30am. That means you don't get there before 11am. So yea. That would be kinda tough. I don't think friday is a good idea. Sunday is really last resort.

Saturday will be crowded but we'll just have to deal.

lesgo

airshow = free

carshow = 10 dollar

plane = millions-billions of dollar

vehicle = 10g +

why is that ?

The average car has about 14,000 parts. A single jet engine has about twice that. Don't forget to add the rest of the plane. Lots lots more parts than a car.

I think Richard and I got up at 5:30am last time, drove down there and had breakfast at some local fast-food. I think we got back into fullerton a little after dinner time (and then went out to eat?).

We left around 7 AM, and grabbed some micky d's around 8:30 AM and got there about 9 AM. Left around 3 and grabbed Burger King on the way back.

Anyways...I guess I'll try to come....I want to see a Raptor :).