Tactically Inept

Does anyone really know what Jesus looks like?

ben the jew

Is it just me, or is it really annoying when people claim to have some object (a sandwich, a croissant, a piece of cheese) that resembles Jesus. People somehow have this "ideal" picture of Jesus. Here is a perfect example of such idiocy: http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/offbeat/2....in.guitar.wzzm

Please, people. Not even the Bible has a detailed description of Jesus. Actually the Bible has a verse that describes his appearance as not overly appealing... but that's it!

No living person can accurately depict Jesus.

I usually try to avoid religious discussions but.....

I don't claim that this is the answer but it makes sense to me. There is at least some logical "thought" behind it. I saw this as a special program on the History channel a while back before it went to the crappy channel it is today.

pic and source - http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/re...ch/1282186.html

In North America he is most often depicted as being taller than his disciples, lean, with long, flowing, light brown hair, fair skin and light-colored eyes. Familiar though this image may be, it is inherently flawed. A person with these features and physical bearing would have looked very different from everyone else in the region where Jesus lived and ministered. Surely the authors of the Bible would have mentioned so stark a contrast. On the contrary, according to the Gospel of Matthew, when Jesus was arrested in the garden of Gethsemane before the Crucifixion, Judas Iscariot had to indicate to the soldiers whom Jesus was because they could not tell him apart from his disciples.

It is clear that his features were typical of Galilean Semites of his era. And so the first step for Neave and his research team was to acquire skulls from near Jerusalem, the region where Jesus lived and preached. Semite skulls of this type had previously been found by Israeli archeology experts, who shared them with Neave.

Neave's team turned to drawings found at various archeological sites, dated to the first century. Drawn before the Bible was compiled, they held crucial clues that enabled the researchers to determine that Jesus had dark rather than light-colored eyes. They also pointed out that in keeping with Jewish tradition, he was bearded as well.

From an analysis of skeletal remains, archeologists had firmly established that the average build of a Semite male at the time of Jesus was 5 ft. 1 in., with an average weight of about 110 pounds. Since Jesus worked outdoors as a carpenter until he was about 30 years old, it is reasonable to assume he was more muscular and physically fit than westernized portraits suggest. His face was probably weather-beaten, which would have made him appear older, as well.

Neave emphasizes that his re-creation is simply that of an adult man who lived in the same place and at the same time as Jesus.