Tactically Inept

End of the year lanparty

T1no

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 10 months later...

I think kuhla is looking for a tv, richard is always buying something. I probably won't sit there the whole evening unless there's something I want which would be extremely unlikely.

As far as holidays or lan parties. I am up for one, but I'm going to point out the major issues of this.

The last few lan parties we've struggled because we didn't have a good game(s) that we could play through. Remember the lan at jon/richard's? Yea the only game we had was living legends and if I remember correctly we had issues with that. If we go to the lengths of having a lan party I want some form of assurance that we'll all sit down and play through a few games, and since nothing new is coming out I'm going to list the games we have:

Bad Company 2: great, shouldn't be a problem

League of Legends: nope, between the drastically different skill levels and the fact kuhla isn't a fan this would be a long shot

StarCraft2: big maybe, yes there are some custom maps (most suck) but once again big skill differentials not sure how this would work

Mechwarrior-Living Legends: A decent option, although I'm not sure tino has a computer that can run it.

Others: Yea we might be able to find a mod/game that I'm not making mention of, but once again we all need to have it installed/patched and agree to play it. The only one I would really mention would be NeoTokyo and frankly I doubt that you guys love that game as much as me so I'm not counting on it.

Console Games:

SSF4/Tekken/Soul Caliber: Good for a short while but not all of us will want to sit and rotate through these, also only 2 players at a time.

Other: Yea I'm sure we could maybe find another console game but I'm fairly certain it wouldn't go over very well.

more emphasis on the hanging out factor

less emphasis on the "lan party" factor

quite honestly i don't have an intention of bringing my entire computer

and yea my folks are looking to buy a tv as well, but that doesn't rule out a get together over the break, i hope.

I pretty much agree that lanparties are dead, with an emphasis on the LAN or computer aspect. I don't forsee us all sitting down and playing computer games together anymore in close proximity.

From here on out I pretty much just expect movies and/or console games.

Well think of it this way, we all have vent, and the games are generally played online. A lan party accomplishes almost nothing aside from the physical act of being in the same room, and as much as I enjoy playing with you guys I can hear you just as clearly on vent as in person. So I understand how we're moving away from lan parties (at least when it's just us). On a side note if a big lan (like the newegg lan) happens I would be up for that, although I'd prefer not sleeping in a car.

That being said, yes I'm up for doing something, either movies or consoles during the holidays.

The act of being in the same room is what makes it different, but more or less more human which is an aspect I generally enjoy. Something you guys probably do not put as much substance for which I understand anyways I digress.

If there was another event at the Ontario Convention Center, I might as well drive back to work and sleep there.....

My whole argument is that we don't play the same games anymore. Pretty typical example when online:

I'm playing BC2.

malaphax is playing LoL.

Richard is playing EVE.

Tino is playing his PS3.

Ren is doing.... something.

Mars is laughing at us.

In the past it was more like, people are online? We are all playing Desert Combat. We are all playing TF2.

I don't think it has anything to do with valuing the "in person" experiance less or age, just the fragmentation of our group with regards to gaming.

How many "whole group" things do we even do anymore? 4 out of 5 weekends I just end up doing something with malaphax. I haven't seen richard in a long time in person.

See where I'm going with this?

Of course, I just usually have other things I have going on in my schedule. I never disagreed with malaphax's points on game fragmentation. I'm merely disagreeing with the idea that lan parties serve no purpose anymore. I do agree that they don't serve much purpose if we do not play the same games.

ok you guys really took this off topic

i was just wondering if we're gonna have a get together/party for thanksgiving or not

i really wasn't expecting a lan party nor did i mention lan party anywhere

it just so happens this is the thread for the holiday get togethers

if you guys wanna continue arguing the pros and cons of lan parties go ahead but who's up for a get together?

hanging out, some console games, maybe a movie? <-- this is what i expected.

you can come to my house if you need a place but probably too far for you guys.

who's up for a get together?

hanging out, some console games, maybe a movie? <-- this is what i expected.

you can come to my house if you need a place but probably too far for you guys.

I know my family is planning a dinner that weekend but I'm not sure which day so I'll have to get back to you on that.

I will probably be interested in hanging out though.

• 3 weeks later...

Tino brought up the idea of new years lan party. Once again, I am fine with anything including bring my computer and sleeping there... However I have a feeling those days are over.

If you guys are up to it please post and make mention of if you'd be willing to bring a pc.

I'm always willing to bring a PC anywhere. Even black friday if I had more power....

The only way I could see myself bringing a PC would be if a list of games is made that we all have and will all play together. Like I've said before, the last few lan parties have had way too much of everyone playing their own game or not even playing games on the PC. That is not worth me dragging my PC over for that. I would much more prefer a movie, some console games and then go home in the early morning or sleeping over because I doubt any real PC gaming would actually occur.

The only way I could see myself bringing a PC would be if a list of games is made that we all have and will all play together. Like I've said before, the last few lan parties have had way too much of everyone playing their own game or not even playing games on the PC. That is not worth me dragging my PC over for that. I would much more prefer a movie, some console games and then go home in the early morning or sleeping over because I doubt any real PC gaming would actually occur.

this

Alright here's the list of games/activities I've got so far for new years.

PC:

Battlefield Bad Company 2

Starcraft 2 (custom maps)

Street Fighter 4 (possible)

PS3:

Super Street Fighter 4

Tekken

GT5

Other possible activities like cards/board games are certainly a possibility as well.

The reason why i'm posting this, is that with bc2 and sc2 we'd probably have at least 4 hours of gaming covered. Also we should be able to scramble for a 3rd game, however the issues right now is that LoL is broken for kuhla, and tino doesn't play it, also for Mechwarrior Living Legends, tino cannot run this. Alien Swarm is 4 players, Neotokyo is probably not appealing to all of us.

*SIDE NOTE* I'm scouring ModDB looking for anything that's multiplayer and remotely interesting on an engine we all have I'm going to list this stuff here for now.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/renegade-x

http://www.moddb.com/mods/blitzkrieg

http://www.moddb.com/mods/coheastern-front

http://www.moddb.com/mods/goldeneye-source

http://www.moddb.com/mods/obsidian-conflict

http://www.moddb.com/mods/star-wars-mod-galactic-warfare

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to have to clarify this in further detail with my mom, at the right time, but she apparently volunteered to work on Jan 1st (so I have to be home) and she may ask me not to go out on Dec 31st so I may not be able to join any shenanigans. Like I said, I'll update when I understand the situation better.