Tactically Inept

califonya state park

T1no

I think budget problem = short term

preservation of wildlife = long term

shouldn't make hasty decisions that don't make sense in the long term

of course theres already been a ton of that so one more won't matter much

I would like to hear more about what TYPES of parks might get CLOSED. If this only affects park services/rangers then I really don't care. I'm very skeptical of websites that give me the impression of being alarmist, like this one.

In general I agree with the governor that serious cuts have to be made. I'm a strong believer that we have only 2 options right now: big cuts, or big taxes. It has to be one or the other. We have to stop the crazy deficit spending.

I've been to a few of the "big" state parks. I would like to see more information before I post anything, but typically I'm one to believe that parks are well and good if they get used. Most of the state parks I went to were not very used.

off topic

So, we've also had a problem with jails, and people being jailed for minor drug charges (like possession of marijuana). Why not cut cost and kill 2 birds with one stone, by making people caught with drug charges do community service for these parks. It means that the parks would be kept up within reason and the people who get caught with some weed don't have to clog up our jails...

/off topic

As long as the parks aren't going to be used by people, then nature is preserved. The parks could be closed, but should prevent public from using them. However parks apparently include more than just the national one's but also include tourist places such as Hearst castle for some reason. However that will not get closed as it brings in more money than it takes to maintain the castle.

well i don't want to get into the budget problem since thats not really the topic but..

closing parks means they're not being maintained, not being maintained means people can do whatever the fuck they want when people aren't looking

how are you going to stop people from using them when theres no staff for the parks? it will stop the legitimate tourists but nobody else.

imo people need to stfu and raise taxes

cutting everything and raising no taxes = stupid

cutting nothing and raising shitload of taxes = stupid

happy medium = smart

You forgot a few things:

Voters are stupid, and think of themselves.

&

Prop 13

The proposition's passage resulted in a cap on property tax rates in the state, reducing them by an average of 57%. In addition to lowering property taxes, the initiative also contained language requiring a two-thirds majority in both legislative houses for future increases in all state tax rates or amounts of revenue collected, including income tax rates. It also requires two-thirds vote majority in local elections for local governments wishing to raise special taxes

• 3 years later...