Tactically Inept

afganistan

T1no

hmmm ok

i have no military background nor know much about tactics.

i was watching news and i dont know if you pay attention about how the top ranking general in charge overder asking for more troops bla bla bla for afganistan.

they show this 3d rendering animation on how 8 us soldiers died cause our base was under fire.

when i look @ the thing they pretty much have a square base in the middle of 2 huge hills/mountain (like in the middle of the valley).

but isnt that like the worst idea?

OR it could be just the 3d rendering is completely off from the real thing. ?!@#?@!?

correct me if im wrong lol

Hard to build bases up in the mountains, but we do have C-RAM.

If they launch mortars at us or any types of rockets, there is a system in place that detects the incoming RAM (Rocket, artillery, mortar), and simultaneously sends a mortar back to the location of the incoming mortar and lots of bullets to destroy that incoming RAM.

Hard to build bases up in the mountains, but we do have C-RAM.

If they launch mortars at us or any types of rockets, there is a system in place that detects the incoming RAM (Rocket, artillery, mortar), and simultaneously sends a mortar back to the location of the incoming mortar and lots of bullets to destroy that incoming RAM.

huh?..... these tiny little FOBs (forward operating bases) are out in the middle of nowhere, way in the front lines, on some hill side/top with practically no "installable" systems...... you think they have C-RAM?

look at pictures of the base in question or any other far forward "bases" (you might as well call them camps) which consist of maybe 1-2 buildings/tents.

on an equipment level they are just a few small steps above that of those attacking them who have the advantage of knowledge of the area, surprise and the ability to blend in the local population on demand

errrrr, but whos in the right mind would sit in that base.

waiting for explosion coming towards us.

That's like saying "why go to war? people might shoot back!" Doesn't work like that. Forward Operating Base Keating (the one we are talking about) was part of an existing town/village, not out in the middle of nowhere. They probably chose it to try and get close with the locals, hoping they could gain intelligence and supplies that way (look up "hearts and minds").

My opinion: Hearts and minds doesn't work with people stuck in the medieval era that favor their ties to their tribe over any other form of properly organized government. There has been inter-tribal conflict for generations in that part of the world.

yea but it dosent make any sense to me.

get close with the locals but risking soldiers lives sounded stupid to me.

not so much why go to war, its more like why not use safer, better options ? maybe there is no other options ? is that why ?

The idea that we can possibly gain accurate intelligence or really much of anything from the actual local populace is just bullshit. Unless you want a good price on some scrawny ass goat there's no reason to interact with them. kuhla makes the point about intertribal issues that have gone on in that region and will probably continue to go on for many years to come. You would have to somehow change their entire lifestyle/culture if you wanted to actually interact with them in the same sense that we interact with people of most other nations. That's not going to happen, and because of their very limited understanding/appreciation of education they probably won't want to send their kids off to schools that might be tainted by the "infidel".

As far as military strategy is concerned, it can all go right out the fucking window. You're in an area you are relatively unfamiliar with, fighting a group of people that is part of the local population and has no formal army/training except for some basic (and sometimes not so basic) guerilla tactics. You are not subjugating, you're occupying... and there in lies the problem. You can sit in a nice base and say that you "own" iraq/afghanistan or at the very least that you own that base, but when it comes down to it you don't own shit. The military (especially modern ones) are not made for occupation and we're using them for essentially heavily armed police forces. I find this beyond stupid, the whole point of an army is either to ATTACK or DEFEND. Well we have the national guard for defense, so our military is supposed to be a mobile offensive military, and yet they're being sent into countries that we don't really have any connections with and being told to help occupy them. Sounds like a recipe for fail.

I understand that there is a need to squash terrorism and that leads us to some of these countries, but in my opinion this war has been kiddy gloves shit because of the precious "international concerns". I don't think we've gone around decimating populations or raiding villeges or destroying plots of land to the extent that war was done in the past and yet we have very little (if anything) to gain by policing those regions. No one has the balls to suggest that we should do to the middle east what we did to japan or germany in ww2, when the fact is that it would probably be the best for those regions.

tl;dr The army is being used for occupation instead of fighting wars, this is retarded. Also modern wars try to civilize war so as not to hurt other peoples feelings. Both of these are fucking retarded.