Sign in to follow this  
T1no

cool automotive pics

I thought it looked good until i noticed the center console and the HUGE dashboard gauges. Fuck that I hated that style in the mini and I don't like it in this car either...

holly shit, thats 2 car company that do matte black, and damn that car is a vader

as far as huge center console, at least its not an tachometer or speedmeter lol

i have not drive that car nor see it in action but a front wheel drive that's 345 horsepower and 339 torque is interesting.

prob massive power cutting when you start. otherwise is just smokin front tires,torque steering like crazy and understeeer allover the place.

what the hell, whos me know about anything; its ford they know what they dooin.

Remember the reviews of the standard rs were saying that it had torque steer and you could feel the mechanical pieces going to work when you took corners rough. That doesn't appeal to me.

The car's design and looks from the OUTSIDE are awesome. I would definitely drive that. The inside is mostly the gauges and their size/placement. No offense to american car makers but I've yet to see a nicely done american interior. They just need to either strip the interior down for ultimate sports car or hire some third party company who knows how to make an interior nice.

Offtopic: I'd like to see subaru return more towards a stripped down style, I know tino linked me to a STI special edition:

I'd like to see them take it a step further even, I'm not talking about taking out AC or anything but they could stand to lose a few options, especially for a wrx model. That was what made the original sti and wrx so good, was that it was totally stripped and mechanical. A "pure" sports car that still had enough features to make it a daily driver. But now so many companies seem to think they will sell more cars by making them more luxury oriented.

I imagine the reasons that Ford kept it 2WD are probably the same reasons that Subaru is strongly rumored to be going FWD on their upcoming version of the FT-86 (the "Toyobaru") and possibly dropping AWD on some future models: weight but also more importantly mpg. There is no debate regarding the fact that AWD systems (and their long/complex drive-trains) hurt the efficiency of any engine and of course this hurts cars over 200 hp/torque in getting their power to the street too. CAFE standards, as they get higher and higher, are going to make it harder and harder to justify AWD as a feature in any car model.

I imagine this is what Ford designers had in mind with the Focus RS that even with 300+ HP/torque and a curb weight of 3235 lb it gets 21mpg city and 30mpg fwy (MY-2009). Go back and look at the "Sporty Small Car Comparison" sheet I made and note that those numbers are highly competitive in terms of power-to-mpg: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=tx7...amp;output=html The rally version is modified to AWD for a reason and it is strongly rumored that this dramatically improves the stock model's fairly mediocre 0-60 time. MPG probably takes a massive nose dive though.

The only way I can imagine to keep the weight down and mpg up while providing 200+ hp/torque and not going into instant burn-out is probably to go RWD combined with mid/rear engine placement. The drive-train stays short (for efficiency/MPG) and launching will be able to benefit from the rear weight dump (for 0-60 time, traction related issues). Case in point, look up the MPGs of a number of different Porsche models and compare it to the cars they are supposed to compete with. You will find they are quite competitive from the MPG angle.

i really hope subaru keep their awd system tho, thats like their whole pride LOL

and when youre advertising efficiency you would have to go head to head with honda/toyota offering.

i think your mpg only goes nosedive if you use active 4wd system (torsen). such as subaru symetrical allwd, quattro on the audi a4 and above.

you could use like what vw did with the r32 and a3,tt which is fake 4wd system (haldex i think) 4motion

its pulling only when the front slip it kicks the power to the back wheels. which i think prob only kills your mpg by tiny amount vs fwd.

i guees there is 2 type 4wd for fun and 4wd for maximum traction.

teaser wrx sti sedan

Posted Image

While I understand the idea of trying to maximize mpg, I also have to point out that we live in california. First of all california supports one of the largest auto markets in the world, secondly the amount of driving (and of course traffic) is huge here. We also receive very little rain and little to no snow in most populated areas. So AWD doesn't have to many bonuses going for it.

As soon as you start talking to someone in the eastern US or even seattle where rain and snow is a relatively common occurrence for half of the year, I'd much rather have an AWD system, it's safer and requires less work (not always needing chains).

Now I understand that AWD does not work well with mpg, it never has and the simple physics say it never will. I'd like to see companies work with different system to compensate for this. Such as a toggle AWD system or different ECU settings or even better and more efficient engines. But to say that dropping AWD from several of their models makes me sad. I can understand the idea of putting out a more efficient car, and as much as I love the boxer engine, I'd maybe like to see them use something different in different models. But to drop what makes a subaru a subaru is just stupid. The whole company is based on their AWD system, I'd like to see that continue instead of simply following the rest of the industry. I mean if ford can survive through this recession and their best selling model is the fucking f150 (which gets shit mpg for the most part) I find it hard to think that subaru can't get by with their AWD cars. Especially considering some of their cars get really good milage (see subaru legacy diesel).

I mean if ford can survive through this recession and their best selling model is the fucking f150 (which gets shit mpg for the most part) I find it hard to think that subaru can't get by with their AWD cars. Especially considering some of their cars get really good milage (see subaru legacy diesel).

The problem with that is the CAFE standards are that it looks at the entire fleet of vehicles from a company and "averages" (formula below) the MPG. Each car has the same weight meaning that the smaller your fleet, the harder it is to balance/offset a low mpg model(s).

The formula for CAFE rating = (number of vehicles in fleet)/((1/(model's mpg))+n) where n is the next model (1/mpg).

=====

So example:

Company A (let's say models Subaru) has two models which both get 20mpg combined:

2/((1/20)+(1/20)) = 20 CAFE rating

Company B (let's say models Ford) has 5 models, 2 economy models getting 30mpg combined, 2 models getting 20mpg, and a truck at 15mpg combined.

5/((1/20)+(1/20)+(1/30)+(1/30)+(1/15)) = 21.4286 CAFE rating

If you have just a few models getting top MPG in your fleet, you can outweigh a lagging car (or truck) at the bottom since they all count the same.

EDIT: CAFE rating also doesn't care which model sells more/less, only that it is available.

I'd argue that if they were going to use a standard like CAFE they should weight it in terms of auto sales. Ford currently sells more f150's than any other model. Yet it's given the same weight as any other ford car.

I would go into detail but this is getting way off topic and I'm not really in the mood right now to discuss what auto manufacturers should do and my personal opinions.

I will however express my complete disgust in the fucking retarded regulations that various governments put into action.

The 2.0-liter turbocharged GDI four-cylinder engine in the 2011 Sonata produces 274 horsepower at 6,000 rpm and 269 lb-ft of torque from 1800-4500 rpm with regular fuel. The Sonata 2.0T will deliver 22 mpg city and 34 mpg highway (preliminary estimates).

holly shit hyundai. that shit is serious.

The 2.0-liter turbocharged GDI four-cylinder engine in the 2011 Sonata produces 274 horsepower at 6,000 rpm and 269 lb-ft of torque from 1800-4500 rpm with regular fuel. The Sonata 2.0T will deliver 22 mpg city and 34 mpg highway (preliminary estimates).

holly shit hyundai. that shit is serious.

too bad it's ugly and I wouldn't drive one

EDIT: pics for unaware - http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/31/2011-hy...-new-york-2010/

can one of you admin change this thread to cool automotive pics just like the Cool Mil Pics instead of FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU