Sign in to follow this  
ren

League of Legends

Posted Image

wanted to post this up for people who don't keep up with LoL news

they killed urf (he was never going to be a real hero with that skillset anyways) and turned him into a warwick skin LOL

its only 50 rp right now, they say its going to go up to 500 rp next week, then 5000 rp (wtf) on the last day

im actually thinking about buying it

link http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=84678

if you're making a new account use this link so i get free stuff

http://signup.leagueoflegends.com/?ref=4b54d389e4691

Posted Image

That was my best game as tf. We went from losing horribly to me carrying the team single handed. Well to be fair, I was about 4 kills away from having the same amount of kills as the other team... Also that's what happens when you have no tank.

Season 1 is out. Ranked play is actually kind of nice because you get to ban and even counter pick. However I will admit that most of the people playing are still rather bad and don't know what's going on. I'd love to have a 5 man team to play with but I don't know where to find one.

Here we can see that my team decided to pick all of the healers, and i carried us to victory.

Posted Image

So in news very related to this post today I bring two major pieces of information. First Valve's DOTA2 was announced today. Now comes the fun part. The drama ensues. Icefrog (who didn't make dota but kept it alive for a few years) is behind valve's dota2. The bad side is that he's up against 1 very well established (LoL) and another dota clone (HoN). So here's where it gets interesting. Apparently he "secretly" worked for S2 the people who made HoN. Uh Oh. Can we see problems already?

There's another issue at hand. It's called a lack of creativity. Instead of say, creating a game similar to dota or improving upon dota (more than visually), he has decided to pull the worst move in the book. Copy Paste. He's copying all the heroes over directly. He's using the exact same map. The exact same items. The exact same gold/denying mechanics as well.

Here's where it gets hilarious, valve then decides to use the only engine they have to make the game. Even better they put integrated voip. Then to make matters worse they're going to implement skins and cosmetic changes for "helpful players" who post guides or help coach. Uh Oh, Another hat system? Yea... How long before they make that part of their cash shop...

Oh and the coaching system is basically a dedicated observer who can talk to you specifically and show you the ropes. Now as much as that sounds cool for new players. There's unfortunately the fact that this is the dota community, which quite frankly is much akin to the xboxlive community in terms of the little kids and the "hardcore" players and generally just a community you don't want yelling in your headset, let alone giving you "tips" about the game.

I mentioned that valve's dota project was in deep shit once LoL took off, and I'll reaffirm that position now. LoL is basically free and for the most part a very good and fun take on the dota gameplay, without some of the more APM intensive tasks such as denying or gold loss on death. It also has millions of players. HoN tried pay to play and from what I understand is dying a slow death. Even if dota2 picks up people from LoL and people from HoN and current dota players. It would need to do exceedingly well just to start taking players away from LoL. That's going to be rather hard when your gameplay mechanics are less "noob friendly" let alone the fact you're just copy pasting one game over onto another engine.

Here's the article about dota2:

http://gameinformer.com/b/features/archive...ed-details.aspx

dota is not lol

people who play lol dont play dota

and vice versa

to that end this really only competes with the HoN market, which afaik is pretty stale (i.e. people who are playing HoN will play HoN, but people who play dota won't all of a sudden start playing HoN)

I read a bit about dota2 and if it really is "identical" then quite honestly it appeals alot to people who

1. dont like HoN

2. think lol is for casuals (it is)

3. still play wc3 dota

I like turtles.

Guinsoo is the original map designer as far as i know. Pendragon is another big name he was the creator of dota-allstars the forum which basically was the go to place for dota. Both of these people work on LoL.

Yes, LoL requires less apm than dota, and yes it has what could be considered "streamlined" mechanics (no denying or gold loss on death, being the big ones). But I like LoL for many reasons not the least of which being that it promotes synergy and teamwork as opposed to one faggot who farms for 30 minutes and then runs in and 1v5's the other team. That to me is brainless shit and quite frankly dota promotes the type of grandstand play and "carry" mentality that I hate about that gametype.

Some of your points make sense. I have a feeling anyone who still plays dota would jump to dota2, likewise with HoN. That being said, I take far more issue with the fact that icefrog thinks he's hot shit for straight up copy pasting a game to another engine. And then making noise like "these mechanics exist for a reason and all serve a purpose in the game". Really? No that's bullshit some of the heroes and hero designs stick within certain perameters because there was an engine limitation don't fucking talk shit like you put them there on purpose. To that end at least the HoN designers had some new hero types and a few mechanics.

[Grumbles]

Admins, u can delete this post if you find it annoying.

Tried to dl LoL updates and it stopped at 95% with a script error. Then, the program stopped working altogether so I uninstalled the game to reinstall-- 3 hours and odd minutes later... it installed and is dling new updates

<skip a couple hours since I fell into a comatic state of sleep>

3am: woke up to check on computer and what did I find?!?

Another damnable script error. GAAAAAAHHHH...

I guess when I go home I"ll try that variant Konami code keystrokes... after reading some help forum topics, that seems to be the solution. geez

Script error probably means that you have an corrupted game file in your installation or game directory. It usually lists the name of the file on the error, so you can try just deleting that file so it could do a validity check on the rest of the files without requiring you to re download the whole game.

Script error probably means that you have an corrupted game file in your installation or game directory. It usually lists the name of the file on the error, so you can try just deleting that file so it could do a validity check on the rest of the files without requiring you to re download the whole game.

Damn, I should have just asked you. Will try it out after judo practice tonight. Thanks!

Didn't work cuz the client wouldn't even load up before crashing-- I didn't copy/paste the error code the first time.

This however, worked (got it off the LoL forum):

Originally Posted by iChoke View Post

No dude, he's talking about the Konami Code. The ownage showed me this:

Press CTRL+L in the client loadup.

Then copy and paste this EXACTLY

java script:setServerStatus(1);

Yes including the semicolon.

It bypasses something and IT WORKS IT WORKS IT WORKS

http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/showt...77326>\

Edit: Yeah... I didn't read to the end. Apparently you can get permanent ban if you use this code to get in. -___-"

Edit 2: New code: L R L R D D U U 3 4

http://clgaming.net/board/index.php?page=T...p;threadID=1093

They have a nice post about the new map and a bit of a graphics update for some of the older heroes. But considering they've talked about this map for the past year, and we still don't have replays/observers I won't exactly hold my breath. The graphics update should come out reasonably soon though, which is good because certain characters, like kayle, look really shitty compared to higher poly new characters.