Sign in to follow this  
kuhla

Apple. Thank you.

I dislike Apple. Their fans are more comparable to mindless zealots (last word interchangeable with zombies). Their company design philosophy seems to revolve around computing for the lowest common denominator.

However, I have to say, thank you Apple. They have the kind of muscle to actually wake up everyone in the industry and media. Seriously. Keep reading.

Was the iPhone revolutionary in any way? Nope. Not by a long shot. All the ideas that went into the iPhone had shown up in some way before but after Apple put the iPhone out there, everyone and their grandmother tried to out do them with better smart phones. I almost feel like without that sudden urge for competition the smartphone market would be pretty boring right now.

The iPad is now the latest thing. Tablets aren't new and I would even say that there are tablets that came out a while ago that are better than the iPad but now suddenly there are tablet announcements from all the major companies and the media is actually taking notice. I like just about every single one of them more than the iPad but that is not the point. If the iPad had not come out I really doubt I would be seeing any of this.

There is almost a small part of me that is worried about this reality. Are the big players really so immobile as to not try to push new form factors on their own in a serious way? The only company that I think actually did anything close lately was Asus who STARTED the whole netbook craze with their eeePC line a few years ago. Now that market is huge and all sorts of really good competition/designs.

Love them or hate them. I think for now, we need Apple.

I can see where you're coming from in praising apple for raising corporate awareness and being a catalyst for future technologies. However I would have to say in the same breath, that they are not unique in this regard. You mentioned Asus' EEEpc and how that set off a chain of events. You mentioned tablets (which have there place) but certain industry analysts (for whatever that's worth) are predicting that smartphones will eclipse tablets (at least for the ipad I would agree).

I see the point you are making but I'd also say that other companies are trying, but generally speaking yes Apple does bring more media awareness because they do compute to the lowest common denominator and in that strategy I can't blame them. If you can sell a product to someone who doesn't need it and doesn't know how to use it, you're a damn fine businessman. I would liken apple (as they would agree) to pop culture fads, not necessarily good, they're ideas themselves aren't even long lasting but people eat that shit up.

Only somewhat related but I really didn't want to start another thread.

source "Thoughts on Flash" by Steve Jobs - http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughts-on-flash/

Wow. Just. Wow. The phrase "the pot calling the kettle black" was invented for things like that little write-up right there.

Flash has some issues but they have been moving fast to fix them and it is hardly an outdated system.

I have to just look at this as a joke. This is APPLE saying that adobe is proprietary... the same people with itunes for their ipod or their own distinct OS on their phones that are locked, for their own app store for their phones, which must be pre-approved.

Steve Jobs can go fuck himself, I'm sure he's very intelligent but every time I see him speak or read something he's written he comes off as a gigantic idiot and an ass.

Right now, I really want an iPad...however I really want it to run Microsoft office. I love the small thin shape of it to replace a notepad & clipboard which I take around work all day long. I really want a small tablet similar to the size of the iPad/form factor and I just need it for basic web browsing and data entry. I can run office on my Android phone right now except the screen is just too small for the tasks. Most current tablets are too big heavy and/or form factor isn't the best. LE SIGHS

Right now, I really want an iPad...however I really want it to run Microsoft office. I love the small thin shape of it to replace a notepad & clipboard which I take around work all day long. I really want a small tablet similar to the size of the iPad/form factor and I just need it for basic web browsing and data entry. I can run office on my Android phone right now except the screen is just too small for the tasks. Most current tablets are too big heavy and/or form factor isn't the best. LE SIGHS

There was the whole HP Slate thing planned but then that got axed along with all the other tablet ideas. I don't think anyone has given a really definitive reason why yet.

Maybe something like this?

source - http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/19/foxconn...hands-on-video/

Well we just got to lay hands on the above Foxconn-manufactured, Tegra 2-powered Android prototype, and we'll be honest -- it was awfully sweet. There wasn't much going on beyond some gaming action -- we didn't see it boot into standard Android -- though it was running the 3D football title you see above at a pretty healthy clip (check out the video after the break). NVIDIA reps weren't very keen on sharing info about the device, though we can tell you that it's apparently got 1GB of RAM inside cuddled up to that 1GHz ARM Cortex 9 CPU, a front-facing camera, and the WSVGA screen measures 8.9-inches (it's also a much wider aspect ratio than something like the iPad). We're going to hold any judgment till we see this thing cooking with a full UI, but we're not knocking it -- get this in at the right price, and we'll likely be first in line.

Update: Correction, the screen size is 8.9-inches, not 9.7.

Tegra 2 is probably more horsepower than you need but only 8.9" screen, dunno if that is enough for you. Runs android though so there should be some sort of app for all your needs.

I'm not particularly worried about GPU power but rather CPU power since I'll be using it more for work than anything else. But damn....I want. I can already run some basic excel files on my G1 but the screen is just too freaking tiny. I'm hoping this thing has a high enough resolution (1024 at least...)

*edit*

NM SVGA 1024x768 WHOOOOOOOOO

I am currently typing this from an in pad to test out the autocorrection on the input method however it seems it needs work but using it on a lap seems pretty good. I'm am still more impressed by the screen size than anything else.

I am currently typing this from an in pad to test out the autocorrection on the input method however it seems it needs work but using it on a lap seems pretty good. I'm am still more impressed by the screen size than anything else.

IEEE did a "Steve Jobs in Four Easy Steps" article bringing some new insights into why Apple was so successful and further described his behavior of why he was so good at his job.

The 4th entry is one I've held dear for a while understanding while Apple is inherently evil, they were one of the last bastions of American dominance in the world. For that I still respect them greatly.

First, Jobs refused to accept that software and hardware were best designed and engineered separately. For him, the venerable insight summarized by Thomas Hughes, the grand historian of American technology, as "the system must be first" became a lodestar. Jobs understood that Apple was fundamentally a builder of technological systems, not a generator of products. As a young man, he watched IBM lose its central role in computing by handing off the PC's basic operating system to an outsider (Microsoft). When in the 2000s Microsoft struggled (and largely failed) to persuade cellphone makers to adopt a variant of Windows, Jobs turned the industry upside down by building a cellphone with an Apple OS at its core. In embracing what traditional industrialists called "vertical integration," he propelled Apple to first place in smartphones.

Second, Jobs denied what is perhaps the most closely held article of faith of the information age: that openness and the wisdom of crowds are essential for successful technological systems. Under his leadership, Apple produced "closed" systems?devices whose basic functions could not be altered?and consumers loved them. "It's not the consumer's job to know what they want," Jobs once famously said. Though an ex-hippie, he proved to be a throwback to an earlier age of top-down leadership: A direct line runs from Henry Ford's Model T to the iPad. To Jobs, Apple's systems are always open?in the sense that their uses can be adapted to an owner's needs and desires. But as iTunes demonstrates, Apple's ability to control the content, the applications, and the purchase opportunities on its mobile devices is far greater than anything carried off by its rivals.

Third, Jobs found a way of selling Apple's products directly?through company-owned stores or online?which was perhaps his greatest and mostly unlikely business triumph. Makers of computers and consumer electronics had always offloaded the task of reaching customers to a motley crew of retailers, who provided no consistent purchasing experience or brand loyalty while shredding the manufacturer's profit margins. Again, going against convention, Jobs created the most valuable retail stores in the world (outselling Tiffany's on a per-square-meter basis). He then sold the inimitable iPhone through those stores and via one other channel (AT&T), in what was a daring business tactic that paid enormous dividends.

Fourth, Jobs found a way to dominate consumer electronics, an arena that the United States seemed to have irretrievably lost to Japan, Korea, and China. The iPod, first released by Apple 10 years ago, marked a stunning shift in global competitive dynamics in consumer electronics. No longer did U.S. firms need to presume they couldn't compete with Canon, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, Sony, and other Asian powerhouses in miniaturized digital appliances. To be sure, Jobs relied heavily on Asian production networks?Apple reportedly employs 10 times as many people in China as in the United States?but the style, engineering, and interactivity of Apple's devices are classically American.

How long Apple will be able to hang on to that domination is an open question. Some say that in Apple, Jobs built a company with his own way of thinking, so it will go on just fine without him at the helm. But whether this is true doesn't really matter in the near term: Apple has a pipeline of good products and about US $75 billion in cash.

What then was the elusive genius of Steve Jobs? Despite his infamous bad temper, his impatience, and his penchant for tantrums, Jobs was the ultimate human-centered technologist?even while he was the ultimate digital autocrat. No democracy either internally or externally, Apple has proved the merits of enlightened dictatorship, at least in realms technological. Jobs once summed up his method as "trying to expose yourself to the best things humans have done and then trying to bring those things into what you are doing." This simple credo should long motivate designers and engineers who will inevitably walk in the footsteps of this singular master.