• Replies 857
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Jedi2155 said:

Why do you believe that she isn't the right actress?

Wonder Woman is supposed to be raised as an Amazon. A warrior. Gal Gadot looks nothing like a warrior. She is very attractive but is built like a model. She desperately needs to add muscle mass if she going to play the role of someone who has been training since birth to be a physical fighter. It's not a matter of superheroes with superpowers because in other movies they have not allowed for big physical mismatches like this that I can think of off the top of my head. This is an example of a cosplay I have seen linked and mentioned many times of a much more physically appropriate Wonder Woman. More recently we have Gina Carano in The Mandalorian. Even if she did not already have the real life background as an professional MMA fighter, she did have the appropriate amount of physical mass to play the role of someone focused on performance.

That makes sense if Wonder Woman was a normal human with human type attributes however she is a supposedly half god type figure so her physical appearance may not match what is considered to be super strong by human standards. If she was like a Gina Carano type character with the associated muscle mass its possible that she could be even STRONGER since we only have the reference point of her being

1. demi-god (reference point against human cannot be applied)

2 . training all her life (does not imply buffness as you use to reference Navy Seals who train regularly does not have this appearance either. Could be lean performance)

3. a super buff mma type demi-god could exist and is even more powerful than wonder woman.

Here's my problem with your reasoning.  Let's look at the male superheroes across both marvel and DC:
Henry Cavil as superman looks pretty damn big, Afleck as batman looking extra big, Aquaman, Shazam, Captain America, Thor, etc.  Most male superheroes are depicted on screen as being very muscular and even if the men aren't as muscular as sometimes depicted in the comics they're certainly not an "average looking human but super strong" by any standards - the only example of this is spiderman who is depicted in the comics as more lean than other heroes, but even Tom Holand is looking far more fit than the last two actors. 
It's clearly acceptable to have big/powerful male superheroes, but it's apparently not acceptable to have big/powerful looking female superheroes.

As reference, look at some of the comic depictions of wonder woman: example 1, example 2, even this older example from the 1940's shows her with broad shoulders.  They could have tried to use some costuming tricks to make gal gadot appear broader, some of the other depictions of wonder woman have opted to have her wearing pauldrons to help add a broader profile without being overly muscular pauldron example 1 and pauldron example 2
I think that's why they're teasing her eagle armor suit at the end of the last trailer. 

7 hours ago, Jedi2155 said:

2 . training all her life (does not imply buffness as you use to reference Navy Seals who train regularly does not have this appearance either. Could be lean performance)

Focusing in on just this point alone, I agree with you 100% that there are plenty of real life combat athletes that don't carry a lot of muscle mass but are often just "lean" (terribly misused word often just describing low bodyfat and dehydration) but Gal Gadot is not "lean" either. Nothing about her says athletic.

11 minutes ago, kuhla said:

Focusing in on just this point alone, I agree with you 100% that there are plenty of real life combat athletes that don't carry a lot of muscle mass but are often just "lean" (terribly misused word often just describing low bodyfat and dehydration) but Gal Gadot is not "lean" either. Nothing about her says athletic.

What's super odd about that is that she was supposedly a fitness instructor in the IDF when she did her service.

1 hour ago, Jedi2155 said:

Regardless of the incorrect physical shape in the casting of Wonder Woman, I think she's done a fine job of acting the part into a likeable star.

That's just it. My issues are NOT with her acting or her likability. My issues ARE with her physical shape.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...