Tactically Inept

E3 2010

kuhla

that's a bit too indy for me. Also since it's a psn/xbla game I'm going to assume it's very "simple" in terms of graphics and gameplay, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

I'm not going to shit on this threat with 50 video links, but I will sum up some of what I saw today in terms of conferences and videoes.

WALL OF TEXT

Medal of Honor: should just be renamed modern warfare 3, it's such a complete clone down to the killstreaks and bonus points and everything, I was disgusted they could even put that on the stage.

Halo Reach: actually looks good for a halo game, they showed a brief glimpse of space combat (in a ship).

Metal Gear Solid Rising: looks kind of funny, they took the wii sports sword challenge and took it to new levels, allowing you to slice anything at any time. I'm actually pretty impressed that a graphics engine can handle that much in terms of destruction and gibs. Also, I'm glad that they're not doing the same tired old shit with mgs (especially considering the 4th one was in my opinion ridiculously over the top).

Assassins Creed Brotherhood: looks like it's going in a very bad direction. They lost their main producer, they're producing a game in a much shorter timeline, and they've said they want to increase the amount of combat and action. The problem is that it's not an assassin game anymore. Even in the second game assassinations ended up being more along the lines of just slicing your way through everyone until you hit your target, stealth was at times not rewarded and not even fun. It's sad to see a game which had a very fun mechanic go very quickly down the shitter.

Ghost Recon Future Soldier: it looks interesting, not just because you get a stealth mechanic (seen that shit before in crysis), not because of your new tacticool tools. But because it actually looks like they're trying to make it all work together somehow. Also it has a 3rd person cover system that looks much more fluid than other games, looks much more like rainbow six vegas with a facelift and a bit better mechanics, it could be decent. Also on a side note, the voices are so deadpan and gravely I swear these guys are always constipated and always serious at all times, I'm not suggesting making this light humour but maybe they should have slightly more in terms of audio other than gruff tones telling you what to do and yelling at you when you fuck it up.

Crysis 2: Frankly I think it looks like shit. Yes the graphical bar is lowered for console, yes they jumped on the 3d gimmic, but the main issue is that they decided it would be smart to join every other game in the world and set it in a collection of big ugly ass buildings with very little terrain deformation and destruction... well fan-fucking-tastic, if I wanted to play a generic shooter game, I'd pick up call of duty... no thank you.

On side note, there's a game coming out using the crytek 3.0 engine, and it's set in ancient time period, but the trailer doesn't really show much other than a couple of big unwashed dudes holding various melee weapons.

Bulletstorm: They call it carnage with a wink and a smile. I call it fucking retarded. It's overblown, it's gore for the sake of gore, and "points" for the sake of grabbing some spastic 12 year old's attention span. Possibly the worst shooter I've seen in a long time because they don't even try to do anything new or interesting, nor does the "witty" (read shitty) dialogue do it for me. I'm sure this will sell well for just that reason...

The Old Republic: released another fantastic cg cinematic. I loved it, especially how there was no blood, a soldier detonates a grenade IN HIS HAND and walks away with just a few scuffs and a stern look on his face. Yea... I know this game is going for a Teen Rating... but holy shit talk about censoring, I mean even luke had his damn hand chopped off... and darth maul got split in half... whatever at least the trailer was semi decent in quality, too bad the game is still shit and nothing can save the current star wars projects.

/WALL OF TEXT

E3 so far is ok, I mean I mostly watch the coverage to see if there are any decent announcements. So far no games have really caught my eye, most look pretty generic, but I guess if I had to pick one I'd go with future soldier, but that's only because it's cyber punk. I've also heard rumors of dues ex 3 being shown at the sony conference tomorrow, so let's keep our hopes up for that.

Shit ton of coverage can be found everywhere for everything so I'm just going to throw out the names of games that caught my eye or that I had some specific thoughts about, and maybe some words here and there, in all the coverage of E3:

sources - www.kotaku.com + www.gametrailers.com/e3/

Trine 2: Looks interesting as usual.

Child of Eden: I don't even....

Gran Turismo 5: Good god release date finally.

PlayStation Move: E3 2009 was much more impressive.

Brink: Delayed. Surprise.

OnLive: Live. Cool. In other news...

Lord of the Rings: War in the North: Hmmmm. Never played any LotR games.

Xbox 360 Slim: That's cool.

Rage: Still curious but nothing really new.

Journey: Strange but I'm curious.

Kinect: Uhhh. Hmm. Wake me up when they make a game for it that actually looks fun?...

Witcher 2: Never played Witcher 1 but I really should. Heard mostly good things about it and only complaints seem to have been fixed in sequal.

Metal Gear Solid Rising: That cutting mechanic looks cool. I hope they can pull it off.

Final Fantasy XIV: Yeahhhhhh......... something about it....

Vanquish: Shit ton of details in the models and textures. Looks overwhelming.

NeverDead: Graphically looks kinda cool. Gameplay looks terrible.

Donkey Kong Country Returns: Haha. I have fond memories of Donkey Kong.

Killzone 3: Jet packs..... jet packs......

Portal 2: Cool.

Spec Ops: The Line: Sort of interested in the sand mechanic but it's probably a generic, boring game.

Medal Of Honor: Modern Warfare 2.5 terrible

Warhammer 40K: Space Marine: Hmmm. Cool. Pretty much no surprises though. Seems to be shaping up exactly as most people expected.

Warhammer 40K: Dark Millennium Online: HMMMMMM. Strong HMMMing. Need a lot more details before judging. Trailer was not that informative imho.

Is I Am Alive: Don't ask me why I'm curious but I want to know more about this.

Project Dust: Again... curious but yea....

Dead Space 2: Hmm. Never finished first one. Probably going to be decent though.

Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood: Definitely a new take on the series but hoping it doesn't get too crazy. Still need to finish the very good first game.

Rift: Planes of Telara: Doesn't look in any way special but I wondering where the hell this came from...

F.E.A.R. 3: First game was best game....

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Too much shadowwwww

Quantum Theory: For some reason I enjoyed the trailers to this even though it looks very GoW style.

Ghost Recon: Future Soldier: Hmm. Looked OK. Felt a bit underwhelmed. Still interested though.

Tron: Evolution: Sort of want to watch the movie first... movie games have a way of spoiling things imho...

Lost in Shadow: Done before but still a cool mechanic imho.

Deus Ex: Was expecting a LOT more coverage of this at E3. Strongly disappointed.

Hydrophobia: Fancy looking water gimmick. inb4 suck game.

Mindjack: Cool looking game. Terrible looking gameplay.

Enslaved: Settings and story looks ok. Gameplay looks mighty boring.

Gabe Newell: looks like *BREATH* a fat ass *BREATH* as usual.

Homefront: North Korea. Serious business.

Splatterhouse: I lolled.

Nintendo "won" this e3 hands down. They listed off tons of old franchises with new games, they all look pretty good as well. All of nintenos first party games are quality, they're keeping that and even allowing a few different devs to work on their old IP's (donkey kong country returns is by a separate dev, likewise medroid is being made by team ninja).

I was completely underwhelmed by both the xbox press conference and the kinect. Both seemed like they were not only lacking, but something I wouldn't have the slightest interest in. The few games that look reasonable are all shooters, and nothing I would purchase. The kinect looks like the worst of the motion controller gimmicks, I've yet to see any sort of game being developed that catches my interest, let alone that I would spend an additional 150 on top of buying an xbox.

Playstation conference was also underwhelming. I didn't see much of anything that sparked my interest either. Their motion control idea looks like a better implementation of nintendo's wii. However the game they used to show it off (sorcery) looked like absolute shit. I was more impressed by the tech demos of last year. Twisted metal looks like it belongs on the playstation 2 with it's graphics the way the stand right now. Killzone 3 looks great as usual. Nothing to really show off their awesome exclusives or first party games though. Also their heavy emphasis on 3d gaming is a fucking joke. I wish people would just stop that shit, it doesn't make the games or movies any better.

Overall, almost every game that they teased at e3 from nintendo I had some interest in, and it looked like games done right their 2d side scrollers still exist and can still be fun not to mention they seem to be adding new mechanics to each of their old ip's changing up the norm and using some INNOVATION, something that was clearly lacking from just about every console maker and developer this e3.

I'll look out for a couple of other titles that were teased, but probably not much. The witcher 2 is about the only title I saw mentioned that I'd be buying for sure. Portal 2 I'd like to see in action (also pricing) before I decide to pay for it. It's too bad that I didn't see anything about deus ex, I had to hunt for videos on brink, which I'm interested in in some respects.

Overall I think I've mentioned this before, every dev seems to want to push into early 2011 with release dates. I have a feeling this is once again a bad idea. Look at the current games coming out this year, very few of them, and most of them are in holiday season. So think about what is being released this summer, 1 game I can think of and that's starcraft2. I'm interested and excited for 2011, but shit guys, I'd like to play some new stuff this year...

On a side note, I found this hilarious:

When interviewing a developer about the warhammer 40k mmo they asked about a release date.

With that in mind, we're shooting for right now to have the game shipped by the end of Quarter 1 of 2013.

Read that one more time... yes... not 2010, not 2011, not even 2012. Fucking 2013 baby.

Posted Image

On a side note, I found this hilarious:

When interviewing a developer about the warhammer 40k mmo they asked about a release date.

Read that one more time... yes... not 2010, not 2011, not even 2012. Fucking 2013 baby.

Posted Image