Tactically Inept

Cell Phones & Service

kuhla

Just FYI on incoming phones from Verizon:

April 7: Casio Commando -- you know it as the Casio C771 G'zOne we brought you fresh pictures of a couple weeks ago.

April 7: Samsung Charge, aka the unnamed Samsung 4G LTE smartphone from CES (see our hands-on) or the Stealth.

April 14: Sony Ericsson Xperia Play, which we've had our hands on not once, but twice.

April 28: HTC Incredible 2. This one reportedly may be a World device, with GSM and CDMA radios.

May 5: The LG Revolution, another of the phones announced at CES (see our hands-on).

Later in May: the Motorola Droid Bionic (hands-on), Droid X 2 and Galaxy S 2 (hands-on), LTE phones, all.

Not to mention the HTC Thunderbolt is already here.

• Replies 941
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Checked with AT&T today. I've been off contract for a while now so I can leave them without issue. My mom was magically signed to a new 2 year contract last december when she replaced her broken phone. This is the 2nd time this exact situation as occurred. I just talked to AT&T and they say their records show it as an "equipment upgrade and renewal" which I find funny because upgrade from a basic flip phone to a basic flip phone. There wasn't even a discount. I find it amazingly deceptive that it was never made clear to my mom that she was signing a contract. We paid full retail for that replacement. Cancelling her service would now cost $138. How nice.

thats a hunk of crap, i hate most, if not ALLLLLLLLL if the mobile company here in the united states.

they charge soo much money, and where the fuck is our infrastructures ? milessssss behind from japan and korea.

but anyway there goes another reason why you should leave ATT LOLOLOLOL

Wirefly now has contractless phones including Metro PCS's Optimus M for $128

http://www.wirefly.com/prepaid/?&r=wir...-W8LRI-FUX7Z-v1

What in the is Wirefly.... *looks at website*.... the lowest plan you can get with the Optimus M with Metro PCS is the $50 a month unlimited plan. Virgin Mobile is obviously same phone for $72 more but only $25 a month and has the same features.

Samsung Indulge doesn't seem all that cool. I don't see where you are getting the $330 number from.... I don't see it on wirefly and that samsung product page doesn't have a buy link.... not sure how that helps me anyhow.

It's kind of funny to see stuff like "Sprint Tablet 3G Mobile Broadband Connection Plan - 2GB" listed as a "plan" which is only sold with tablets because if it could be sold with a phone I've heard of people using Skype as VOIP. According to skype, 1GB of transfer is about 83000 minutes.

I still avoid skype like the plague. Never really liked it.

The indulge is a phone from Metro PCS and it was for Wirefly which I posted on my first link. I should've posted a more direct link to it I guess.

http://www.wirefly.com/ecommerce/phones/?f...p;zipcode=92831

You mentioned Metro PCS pricing was unknown on your first post so I didn't really know their pricing to compare with but yeah, $50 a month isn't too great although the Indulge is a 4G LTE phone.

I'm leaning towards T-Mobile now. Obviously not decided on it, just considering them more heavily than I did before. Notes:

* Good selection of what I consider "higher end" phones: HTC myTouch 4G, HTC G2, Samsung Galaxy S 4G. Some solid stuff for "free" or low cost too: Motorola Defy, Motorola Cliq2 (last one would be a good choice for my mom).

* After taking off the phone rebates, service costs are not too bad ($1500 for Tm vs $1300 for Vm).

* Going with T-Mobile I stay on GSM and all future upgrades are as simple as root, swap sim card and call it a day. I can also consider "international" GSM phones from Amazon so selection is quite large for unlocked, no contract phones.

* If finances get complicated I can just move to a t-mobile pre-paid plan such as "$30 monthly 1500 Talk & Text with 30 MB data", continue using the same phone and just swap sim cards. Wi-Fi data for the win.

* Further research into ESN hacking on CDMA networks has run into some issues. I keep reading posts about people moving some phones without issues and not being able to move others to different services. I don't understand why not and there is the legality issue which clouds it all because some people seem very against talking about it. I would feel more comfortable if I could find some forum where people openly and clearly talked about what can and cannot be done by swapping ESNs, etc. I do know that screwing up an ESN spoof ends up getting the ESN banned and that would be quite a financial loss; instantly making up the difference that I would avoid from just going with a different service.

* I don't like AT&T but they (will) have a monopoly on GSM when the T-mobile deal finally goes through. Can't avoid it regardless of how much I dislike them.

After my brother talked with my mom, him being the happy unlimited everything I don't care what it costs AT&T is wonderful guy, I asked if my mom had any new thoughts on the whole situation to which she replied: "Well... you know I don't like change" ಠ_ಠ inb4 we stay with AT&T....

My mom and I went to the costco phone kiosk. I am still under contract, the termination fee is $104. My mom is not under contract, however none of the AT&T phones piqued her interest. I had a feeling beforehand which type of phone she would want, and low and behold, it's exactly what I thought it would be. The Droid 2. It costs $50 at costco. I was in no way expecting to get a new phone, but considering I am under a family plan and to put me on a separate plan would cost in the range of 50 a month with AT&T, the cancellation charge (fucking ridiculous as it may be) is probably worth paying. My mom is now going to "think" about this. My bet is on friday we'll both end up with new Droid 2 phones under 2 year contract with verizon.

On the bright side, I'll be catapulted into the 21st century and the wonders of smartphones apps and all sorts of fancy shit. On the downside, I will of course be tech support and have no excuses if I have the same phone. I'll also be on CDMA which is kind of a pain in the ass.

As far as the plans and whatnot, it broke down to the fact that verizon is more expensive, but not by much, it was still within reason. Plus their data plan seems unlimited.

I'll post again on friday if I have a new phone.

2 smartphones on verizon "is more expensive, but not by much" compared to what you have now?! The fuck?! What are you paying now for your 2 non-smart phones?!

Also, on wireless.amazon.com you can get Droid 2 for free.

if not why dont you get teh thunderbolt

That's wayyy more expensive.

First, costco does not carry the thunderbolt, it's also the only 4g from verizon. Second I (and my mom) would much rather have a physical keyboard. Keep in mind I honestly do not care all that much about the speed/performance of the phone but rather, about a few specific features (mosly a keyboard). Also, costco may not give huge incentives but they do give more phone accessories and wave a few fees, plus my mom is thoroughly convinced that costco is better than a phone store.

EDIT:

I was comparing cost totals from getting new phones and packages from one provider to another. Keep in mind my mom is buying unlimited minutes family plan and text/data packages from each company. If we stayed at AT&T the up front cost is lowered because I would not upgrade my phone, only my mom would, but she'd also end up paying for the majority of the phone plan anyways. If we swap to verizon, the difference in up front cost is around 150 (100 cancel +50 more for another phone in this case) but the plan is more expensive in minute costs and about equal in text/data cost. The major difference would be that I would have a new phone and data line. Tmobile was the cheapest by far, AT&T was slightly cheaper than verizon (mostly in minutes cost) but not by a whole lot, not to mention they had no phones my mom was impressed with.

DISCLAIMER we only looked at what they had at costco, I really honestly do not give a shit about the phone thing, I don't even care if I get a new one. All i cared about was that my mom wasn't getting ripped off, all said and done it would be cheaper to stay with at&t I told my mom this, but from a practical standpoint having the same phone as her allows me to help her out and hopefully bring her up to speed far faster than if I didn't have that phone, besides I'm going to end up helping her anyways, it might be easier on me if I at least had the device I'm supposed to give tech support on.

When it comes down to it, my mom wants to get a new phone, new computer, new scanner, new printer all sorts of shit. Keep in mind that she is moving from a salary job to a 100% commission job (essentially working for herself). So certain upfront costs are going to be associated with this, she also is trying to get herself a phone capable of answering emails on the fly and text messaging. Although her primary use will more than likely be actually making calls.

I will be looking into the wireless.amazon thing kuhla, thanks for the tip.

sprint unlimited everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!! do it FGT

well maybe not unlimited everything, just get the 1500 min unlimited data text. its pretty much unlimited if you call mobile to mobile.

and plus, they give you credit if you move from another carrier (125 dollar/line i think)

Verizon and ATT is hella expensive.

I do not see that credit anywhere. Their unlimited plans are still rather expensive, also keep in mind part of the reason why i'm running into high costs is that I'm looking for unlimited minutes (or as many as I can get) and the 3000 package with sprint starts to rival the cost of att and verizon.

Their phone selection is alright... I could probably convince my mom to get the shift 4g.

I checked all the numbers on amazon. First of all, they're far easier to understand than the phone websites themselves. Also I am finally starting to get an idea of how fucking expensive this is.

It looks like no matter what I do and where I skimp on costs in the end it's going to be around 200+ for 2 lines max minutes and data. I told my mom this, we'll see how this goes.