• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'll just put this here

i came across this video on youtube

https://youtu.be/1Qt5B39LB7c

this is not a new topic obviously and does this happen every-time we roll out a G 1G 2G 3G 4G?

i have not done extensive research of my own either. 

all i know the routers, cellphone, microwave is all non ionizing rad.

soo where i stand. yea im not worry about it but then i try not to exposed myself when i dont need to. i do have a router puck mesh in my room. 

discuss? 

yes everything is trying to kill me XD

15 hours ago, T1no said:

I think radiation from electromagnetic sources is worth considering especially since we are implementing more and more wireless devices. I would not mind seeing more studies from respected institutions about the issue.

I have a problem with just about everything she says. Diabetes? Chronic kidney disease? Opiod epidemic? Suicides? Come on. Every single one of those has a huge number of other causes with a much more direct link.

Diabetes? We going to talk about the huge increase in obesity rates and "food deserts" for low income areas?

Chronic kidney disease? We going to talk about the huge increase in cases of hypertension (high blood pressure, also linked to obesity) and that many Americans are chronically dehydrated?

Opioid epidemic? Suicides? That's a whole different discussion involving the world we live in today and the healthcare industry.

Why does she not mention smoking? Something like 10% of Americans still smoke and that is a huge source of radiation exposure. I don't even want to talk about second hand smoke

What about vehicle pollution? What about ANY inhaled particulate matter?

There is a lot of basics that can be done to increase our health in big ways. Exercise regularly. Hydrate regularly. Try to avoid airborne pollution and definitely avoid smoking (inhaling) anything. Avoid obesity. Watch your blood pressure.

I also think we should have some reputable studies on the amount of EM and various radiation we're exposed to. 
Yea, there are some areas that might have had a significant correlation.  She mentioned diabetes going up as people were closer to cell phone towers.  I have a feeling properties located closer to cell phone towers are generally lower income and this was a larger variable that affected her increased rates of various illnesses.  Statistically the lower your household income the more likely you are to suffer from various medical ailments throughout life - but telling people "just don't be poor" isn't particularly helpful.

Also according to AT&T 5G(e) is already here.  Welcome to the future.

2 hours ago, Malaphax said:

....and various radiation we're exposed to....

Some of this data is already available:

1. https://www.epa.gov/radiation/radiation-sources-and-doses

2. https://www.epa.gov/radiation/radiation-health-effects

3. https://www.epa.gov/radiation/calculate-your-radiation-dose look at the list of variables it asks about

4. https://www.nrc.gov/about-nrc/radiation/around-us/doses-daily-lives.html

Date

Amount

Description

23-Oct

($860.93)

Pixel 3 #1 (including tax & ship)

23-Oct

($860.93)

Pixel 3 #2 (including tax & ship)

17-Nov

($25)

Mobile service month #1 additional user Pixel 3 #2, $15 + 1 gb

17-Dec

($25)

Mobile service month #2 additional user Pixel 3 #2, $15 + 1 gb

4-Dec

$800

Project fi promo service credit

14-Jan

$621

Swappa sold Pixel 3 #2 (after Swappa fee and paypal fee)

15-Jan

($13.65)

Shipping sold Pixel 3 #2

($364.51)

How much I payed for my Pixel 3 (#1) after everything else is concerned.

On 10/11/2018 at 9:28 AM, kuhla said:

"$799 Fi Service Credit with Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL Promotion Terms"
fine print - https://fi.google.com/about/device-promo-terms/

So I'm trying to understand this...

1) You buy 2 phones at full price
2) The second phone has to add a person and a new line
3) After 30 days you get $799 in service credit.

....so except for the 1-2 months of cost for the second line and the taxes, you get the second phone free? ....after you cancel the service of the second phone you just could sell it to recap some of the cost on the first phone?

This actually does not seem like a terrible deal?

On 10/11/2018 at 10:18 AM, kuhla said:

Some people have been asking support and they have confirmed you can cancel the second line after getting the credit. The yellow part I think is important; the credit is applied to the purchaser's account.

If I couldn't sell the phone on swappa/ebay/craigslist then the deal would be dead.

My bill is anywhere between $40-$50/month so assuming $45 average, $799 credit should last me 17 months (about 1 1/2 years).

Napkin math:

($1600) - Two new phones

($144) - Sales taxes

($ 90) - Two months of service for the second line assuming "normal" usage (unlikely)

$799 - Service credit

$600 - Swappa sell second phone

TOTAL: ($435) ----> Bump it up and say I missed some fees and other BS, a pixel 3 for $500?

On 10/11/2018 at 11:37 AM, kuhla said:

I expect prices on Swappa to drop a bit once the 3s are shipping but at that point I'm getting what? A used 2s for $350-$400 with possibly no remaining warranty? With this promo deal, I'm looking at a brand new 3 for maybe $500 which seems like it might be worth the extra $100-$150.

I'm going to keep chewing on this.

The above post right above this one is referencing these 3 previous posts.

article - https://www.blog.google/products/project-fi/project-fis-enhanced-network-brings-faster-more-secure-connections/

So I have been using this for about a month and a half now and I'm going to turn it off. There was mention of how it may increase data usage by about "10%" because of the extra overhead of the VPN but it ends up being more than that because there is also the very aggressive network switching. It seemed like if your wifi dipped for even a moment then it would immediately switch to cellular. Add both of those things together and it becomes a very noticeable increase in cell data usage. I may still turn it on occasionally if I'm especially concerned about the network(s) I am connecting to but it will stay turned off most of the time.

• 1 month later...

https://9to5google.com/2019/03/18/google-pixel-3a-leak/

We can now confirm more specs about the Pixel 3a via a reliable source. The device’s 5.6-inch display is OLED (not LCD, as many have assumed), and has a resolution of 2220×1080 at 440dpi. There’s a Snapdragon 670 on board, there’s 4GB of RAM, an 8-megapixel wide-angle front shooter, and a 12-megapixel rear shooter. The battery on the smaller Pixel 3a is 3,000mAh.

Our source says the camera outputs identical image quality to the Pixel 3, but the camera app has poorer performance. It’s still unclear how the 3a XL differs from the 3a.

• 4 months later...

im considering swapping from tmobile to mint mobile. i have a demo sim comim in a few days to see how their service is. its using a tmobile network (mvno)

https://www.mintmobile.com/

https://www.reddit.com/r/mintmobile/

i use a lot of data. (~10gb+) as much as i want to swap to project fi i think its not worth it.

i currently pay $132 for 3 lines with 10gb data / line.  about $44 / line

with mint i can prepaid for 12 months for 300 bucks roughly about 25/month + tax and fee 
12gb of data and 2g after limit.  X2 ~ 50 bucks a month

with project fi if i maxed every month with bill protection i will be paying 135 + tax for 2 people. 

my question how often does your phone really jump in and out to a public wifi that google fi provide ? im assuming if you use those data it does not go into your data usage ? is it reliable enough ? or is it like almost never ?

also i like using google voice. and if i sign up with fi what is your google voice number ?

I'm not a normal user when it comes to data, but I'm a perfect case for project fi.  I normally sit on my company's wifi all day Monday-Friday and in the evenings I'm sitting on my home's wifi.  My history has been mostly under 1gb every month, but that has crept up slowly as I start streaming music more often. 

I have seen the public wifi connect in a few locations, but honestly I think only really major places like starbucks or mcdonalds are going to be on google's public wifi network.  I certainly wouldn't count on it. 

I will say the international coverage that kuhla and I had in Indonesia and Taipei was goddamn incredible.  I was able to make calls (although it didn't like busy signals) text and browse the internet with no issues at all.  Considering my bill for that time period is pretty reasonable, I could see that as a big advantage if you travel frequently. 

I don't think Google Fi is worth it for heavy data users, I know for a fact that some data plans are cheaper on a monthly basis.

yea i think i might go that route.

i'll use mint locally and international i just pay a google fi or local mobile provider for the month. its just nicer at your transit country to have some kind of service to communicate to people. but then most airports have free wifi anyway. not the biggest deal.

still curious regarding google voice integrations with fi tho. if kuhla can chime in.

On 8/16/2019 at 2:04 PM, T1no said:

still curious regarding google voice integrations with fi tho. if kuhla can chime in.

What do you mean by google voice integrations?

I think Google Fi is bad price for people that use a lot of data and for family plans. Other providers do much better in pricing for either one of those.

That whole public Google WiFi thing is practically bullshit. I've been connected to it once EVER.

I spend a lot of time on wifi but not the "official" one. When I'm on cellular network I watch my usage, no netflix, very little music streaming, limited youtube viewing. I'm usually around 2GB of data usage but occasionally go up to 4GB but almost never exceed 5GB.

When I'm home I do everything through Chrome, messaging, phone calls, etc.

International coverage with Fi has been great in Germany, Bali and Taipai.

I would only encourage someone to check out Fi if they are willing to spend a lot of time on wifi, have low data usage off-wifi, really want international coverage

9 hours ago, T1no said:

soo if you go to your google voice while having a google fi service. what is your google voice number ? or do you not have one ?

When I transferred my number from t-mobile to google fi (project fi at the time) it became a google voice number.

ok soo i switch to mint. so far soo good i move my numbers to google voice and i get new number from mint. did the same with kat.

my goal is so that i can switch carrier and keep my number.

kat got a 714 number and i got the new orange county area code 657

feels about the same like a tmobile service. and i save a ton of money over the year.

got the 8 gig 3 months and free 3 months on both lines cost me around ~60 bucks

So for Mint, looking at the non-promo prices, $35 per month gets you....

1. 8GB 4G LTE (gsm, tmobile mvno) and then throttled after that
  2. Unlimited talk and text (assuming within USA)
  3. Free international calls to Mexico and Canada

That seems pretty decent.

For T-Mobile its hard to beat if you have a lot of family lines. My average cost per line is $32/month unlimited data. Maybe you guys should all just join a family plan lol.

Here's how my lines work. Yellow the end cost per person. 1st 2 lines is $120, and each additional one is $20.
image.png

• 3 weeks later...

source - https://www.engadget.com/2019/09/10/iphone-xr-8-price-cut/

Apple's iPhone XR and iPhone 8 get big price cuts

If you're not jumping straight into the future with Apple's new iPhone 11 family, picking up a slightly older model is one way to upgrade without spending "flagship" money. Now that the new phones have been announced you can pick up the previous-gen for even less, now that price cuts have been announced for the iPhone 8 and iPhone XR.

The two-year-old iPhone 8 now starts at $449 without any sales or discounts, while last year's mainstream model, the XR, is available for $599. You won't get the latest and greatest hardware -- can you live without Deep Fusion photography? -- but these phones are still slated to receive iOS updates that keep them secure and add new features, including iOS 13 when it's released later this week.

Apple had their big event today. I mentioned this offline but I told you this would happen. Apple is very consistent about this.

Very good chance I will move my mom to an XR later this year from her current iPhone 6 Plus. It will be a big upgrade in terms of CPU, memory and camera.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...