Sign in to follow this  
kuhla

Cell Phones & Service

wirefly seems to have some phones cheaper while others are wildly more expensive, the evo shift 4g seems to be 120 at wirefly it's only 60 at amazon.

Check activation fees. I almost purchased from Amazon before I realized they had like a $50/phone activation fee at the time I was trying to buy my Epics. Of course Amazon has some that include free activation.

seriously tho, im able to get 27% discount from random dude @ spint Fullerton store.

give it a shot, unless you dont want or trust sprint coverage. its pretty much the cheapest out of the 4 giant

160/month for 3 phones unlimited data/text 1500 shared min is not to shabby.

this is with 2 insurance 7 dollar each for the evos

I used 3 minutes on my February bill. Literally because all mobile to mobile is free. 5 people combined only touched like 200-300 minutes out of our 1500 due to the free mobile to mobile.

Went to a sprint store in fullerton today. The guy I talked to asked if me or my mom worked for any companies that could receive a discount, but obviously we don't. He very briefly mentioned that he might be able to get us around 20% discount. The downside is that the phones are SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive than online. And of course my mom went to the store and decided she wanted instead to check out the Epic.

It looks like it's 150 per phone at the store, but 80 online. However it's probably 32 for activation online. But all of this means jack shit if I can manage to swing 20% off of my bill because only a few billing cycles would pay off the larger initial payment.

tell the dude to swing the activation fee too. my dude let us slide with no activation fee for 2 lines.

if the phone is cheaper online mention it to him, my mom got extra 50 dollar cash back into the account cause her phone was cheaper online.

just ask them for extra and shit charger,cases etc.

btw make sure the service is available @ your house. test run with some one with sprint. sprint is little spoty in my house. i have to sit and specific place to receive phone call.

since im assuming its going to be super important for your mom to use it as a reliable way to contact with her clients .etc

Yea I forgot to mention they wave activation in store. He didn't seem to want to offer any accessories but honestly the only thing I would even want is maybe a car charger for my mom, and even then I don't really think that matters. If I can get him to set us up with 15-20% off then honestly I can deal with the up front costs. Besides we'd be getting 250 credit to help out with that anyways.

Posted Image

Looks pretty decent, right on the edge lol.

hmm yea, my house is mapped light green too but i honestly cant receive make phone call when im downstairs where my living room, kitchen. i have a feeling its the insulation of the house and 2nd story blocking signal.

in my room the other hand i get 2 bars.

3g is pretty much non existance. but i dont care that much; i can connect to home wifi. and no 4g signal until i get out to the long stretch of berry street

yeah car charger is pretty much a must! this smart phone battery blows. and 4g is pretty much kills it even more 3-5 hrs max under moderate use. for the Evo at least.

My coworker at work got the Sprint Airvana femtocell and has been asking me for tech support on it over the past few months, but now is all settled and he loves it. He gets 6 bars in the house no problem (Glendora) using his home network connection.

http://www.cellfanatic.com/2010/08/23/sprint-airvana-review/

It's normally $100 for the device but I've talked to a sprint sales rep in a store and they told me if you call up corporate and talk to their Customer Service Retention department you can get an Airvana for free.

After installing a custom ROM on my Epic 4G, I get significantly better battery life/performance. Stock is crap compared to community baked ROMs.

My coworker at work got the Sprint Airvana femtocell and has been asking me for tech support on it over the past few months, but now is all settled and he loves it. He gets 6 bars in the house no problem (Glendora) using his home network connection.

http://www.cellfanatic.com/2010/08/23/sprint-airvana-review/

It's normally $100 for the device but I've talked to a sprint sales rep in a store and they told me if you call up corporate and talk to their Customer Service Retention department you can get an Airvana for free.

After installing a custom ROM on my Epic 4G, I get significantly better battery life/performance. Stock is crap compared to community baked ROMs.

if i were to ask you; do you want sprint to switch to LTE or stay wimax ?

I want them to switch to LTE in 19 months...(the length of my contract lawl). LTE seems to be having a lot better real world through put.

This discount thing is looking shadier and shadier. Neither me nor my mom have an employer with a discount. The guy I spoke to originally barely mentioned it, almost in a whisper. Then I go back talk to another guy and he was super fucking hardline about it, saying no discount unless you provide pay stubbs etc. He did however mention AAA and credit unions giving 10% discount, but he said AAA doesn't even wave activation (what the fuck, the other guy was going to wave it...)

So I have a feeling this is some serious bullshit. I can go back in an hours time to talk to the original guy, but this sounds like bullshit tino.

hmm thats wierd i dint have to do anything to get that discount.

i got 27% every billing cycle.

btw the dude name is david clements

Ok, I went in and talked to the original guy, and got myself a 27% discount. So fantastic. But to be fair he was pulling some shady shit. I don't know if you can do that all the time. I did the math for a 20% discount that it would pay off the extra money I spent from buying the phones it store, it worked out to be 5.5 months. But with 27%... well it's even sooner.

hmm thats wierd i dint have to do anything to get that discount.

i got 27% every billing cycle.

btw the dude name is david clements

Ok, I went in and talked to the original guy, and got myself a 27% discount. So fantastic. But to be fair he was pulling some shady shit. I don't know if you can do that all the time. I did the math for a 20% discount that it would pay off the extra money I spent from buying the phones it store, it worked out to be 5.5 months. But with 27%... well it's even sooner.

Posted Image

Pretty shady deals I'd say... >_>, I usually do not go to that extent in bargainning mainly because they probably get the stereotype that I'm chinese and drive a hard bargain. Damn you stereotypical BS. I see more whites bargain than Chinese.

Anyways, the reason I'd prefer LTE is also due to the pretty awesome Latency in LTE. WiMAX is typically around 100-250 ms still on the latency.

There is a reason for.that stereotype, go ask a realtor about chinese people making offers on a house. Often they bid so low certain sellers find it insulting. But yea i got the confirmation email last.night and figured out how they're doing this... i won't post it online but i can tell you guys on vent. Also i need to figure out how to use this phone. Richard if you can post the site/resources you use for rooting and custom OS I'd appreciate it.

It's pretty amazing all the information for these phones/apps/android.

I was looking through some of the programs that come preloaded on the phone and one guy has a list of what you can and can't remove. I've found some funny stuff in there:

KeyBoardSlideUpCounter.apk - counts how often your keyboard slide is used. Removed.

KeyBoardSlideUpCounter.odex

Like what the fuck is that doing in there?

I guess I'll look into more of this rooting stuff this evening. Rooting seems simple but it's after that where it begins to get a little bit more complex. I will probably create a new thread for this, because this is getting a bit too off topic. Not to mention I'd actually for my own benefit like to have a basic log of what I'm doing/will do to my phone.

Considering I get little to no service at home (from multiple carriers) and at work I decided to look into what phones or apps(?) do wi-fi calling. All of T-Mobile's android phones support wi-fi calling. I could have sworn that the Motorola Atrix on AT&T did too but now I can't seem to find mention of it anywhere. Anyone know any others?

I'm not talking about femtocell devices or a google voice, skype style setup.