• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 941
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok.

Here is the ultimatum. I'm making a decision by the end of the week.

Pixel 6a is supposed to get announced tomorrow or day after.

If all it does is confirm the leaks then it's a pretty strong "meh".

With all the annecdotes about Pixel 6 and 6pro software bugs, overheating, QA problems with the fingerprint reader there is a real good chance I'm just go to get a Galaxy S22 (non-plus). It technically checks all the boxes of what I'm looking for and, Malaphax brought up a good point, it's compact too.

On 5/9/2022 at 5:34 PM, kuhla said:

Ok.

Here is the ultimatum. I'm making a decision by the end of the week.

Pixel 6a is supposed to get announced tomorrow or day after.

If all it does is confirm the leaks then it's a pretty strong "meh".

With all the annecdotes about Pixel 6 and 6pro software bugs, overheating, QA problems with the fingerprint reader there is a real good chance I'm just go to get a Galaxy S22 (non-plus). It technically checks all the boxes of what I'm looking for and, Malaphax brought up a good point, it's compact too.

Pixel 6a got announced. Seems pretty meh. Still over a month away.

Pixel 6 concerns me because of seeing threads like this: https://old.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/uoe8hn/pixel_6_pro_just_bought_last_week_in_usa_awful/

I need to do some research into what is all suggested to "de-bloat" a Samsung phone.

Would be nice if the S22 had 6e, a larger battery and more 5g but I'm not willing to trade that for the compact size and the $500 price through google fi is hard to beat.

https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?&idPhone2=11253&idPhone3=11037&idPhone1=11229

I will miss my forward-firing speaker(s).......

Ordered the S22.

Here are my thoughts on why I'm going to give the S22 a chance.

• Google offers return value for trade-ins. An clean, base-model S21 gets you $300 right now. If the Pixel 7 is amazing and the same type of value carries forward for the S22 then I can trade it in next year to do something to minimize my loss.
  • From a hardware only level the S22 is very competitive with the Pixel 6a while only being a little more expensive and available right now which is a factor with supply chain stuff being a question mark.
  • From a software updates point of view, with Samsung's commitments earlier this year, there really should not be much of a difference between a Pixel and a fully support Galaxy.
  • The mountain of anecdotes about the Pixel 6 bugs are just scary. I know there are people out there iwht flawless phones but I don't want to deal with that kind of QA lottery. I need a phone that "just works". I'm willing to do a little experimenting with my phone but it's a needed tool first and foremost.

I'll post more about it in the future.

The debloat process seems fairly easy.

REMOVE BLOATWARE

You're gonna need:
-
ADB AppControl (Windows)
- Samsung USB Drivers
- Latest presets attached at the bottom of this post
- You have to enable USB debugging and "Always authorise" on your phone

Go to "Systems" tab in AppControl
- Load "Debloat Preset"
- Take a look at all what's going to be removed and unselect apps & features you need.
- Apply Uninstall while checking "delete data & cache".
- Restart your phone to recovery, wipe cache partition, then Repair Apps.

- This is a list of ALL what's removable besides what's needed for boot.
- This list doesn't contain any feature
- Uncheck only what you need (features and apps).
- Or go to "Uninstall" section in AC, search and restore the features you need.
- Keep in mind that deleted apps will all be restored after factory reset.
- Restore all apps before updating your phone

I was asked about the process so documenting it here.

1. removed physical sim card (it was pre-installed)
  2. power-on phone, denied/skipped everything
  3. factory reset
  4. -
  5. power-on phone, denied/skipped everything
  6. connected to wi-fi
  7. ran system updates
  8. factory reset
  9. -
  10. power-on phone, denied/skipped everything
  11. downloaded+installed ADB AppControl on PC
  12. downloaded+installed Samsung USB Drivers
  13. -
  14. Launched ADB AppControl
  15. connected phone to PC via USB
  16. enabled developer options on phone
  17. enabled usb debugging on phone
  18. Used the "Find and disable Bloatware..." wizard in program
  19. Uninstalled some stuff (see below). Most of it suggestions by the wizard.
  20. Disabled some stuff (see below). Was not sure if some of it was crucial so I wanted to just disable it for now.
  21. Disconnected phone.
  22. Restarted phone just as a quick check.
  23. Shutdown phone.
  24. Put case and screen protector on phone. Important step. 🥸
  25. Disabled usb debugging on phone. Should not be left on.
  26. Setup phone using eSIM.

So I will see where it goes from here.

This is what I ended up uninstalling:

image.png

This is what I ended up disabling (partial list):

image.png

If anyone wants to the full output, then here it is:

shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.facebook.appmanager
shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.facebook.katana
shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.facebook.system
shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.google.android.apps.tachyon
shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.google.android.feedback
shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox
shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.facebook.services
shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.android.bookmarkprovider

shell pm disable-user --user 0 com.samsung.android.aremoji
shell pm disable-user --user 0 com.samsung.android.aremojieditor
shell pm disable-user --user 0 com.sec.android.mimage.avatarstickers
shell pm disable-user --user 0 com.samsung.android.bixby.service
shell pm disable-user --user 0 com.samsung.android.app.routines
shell pm disable-user --user 0 com.samsung.android.visionintelligence
shell pm disable-user --user 0 com.samsung.android.bixby.agent
shell pm disable-user --user 0 com.samsung.android.bixbyvision.framework
shell pm disable-user --user 0 com.sec.android.app.dexonpc
shell pm disable-user --user 0 com.samsung.android.fmm
shell pm disable-user --user 0 com.sec.android.app.samsungapps
shell pm disable-user --user 0 com.samsung.android.themestore
shell pm disable-user --user 0 com.samsung.android.aware.service
shell pm disable-user --user 0 com.samsung.android.app.sharelive
shell pm disable-user --user 0 com.osp.app.signin
shell pm disable-user --user 0 com.samsung.android.scloud
shell pm disable-user --user 0 com.samsung.android.scpm
shell pm disable-user --user 0 com.sec.android.desktopmode.uiservice
shell pm disable-user --user 0 com.sec.android.app.desktoplauncher
shell pm disable-user --user 0 com.samsung.desktopsystemui
shell pm disable-user --user 0 com.samsung.android.app.spage
shell pm disable-user --user 0 com.samsung.android.mateagent
shell pm disable-user --user 0 com.samsung.android.kidsinstaller

Updates:

• The fingerprint reader is unusable with a screen protector. I tried turning touch sensitivity on, registering fingers with it off then turning it on, registering the same fingers multiple times and none of that helped. With the screen protector on it would read my finger maybe 1 in 10 attempts. I spent the first half of today doing pattern unlock until I took the screen protector off to verify.
  • Since no one seemed to be really talking about it I assumed forward-firing speakers were completely dead but that is not true. The top ear speaker functions as a forward-firing speaker. A pleasant surprise but.....
  • The speakers on this feel like a full tier step-down in quality from my Pixel 3. It's pretty common for me to catch up on some news in the morning while I'm brushing my teeth and eating breakfast so speaker performance has at least some importance for me and a valid use-case. I spent time changing the built-in EQ. I took the case off thinking maybe that was interfering (somehow). I turned "dolby atmos" on and off while listening to music (it's a setting). No matter what I do the speakers just sound "thin". Not full. I played multiple songs A-B with my Pixel right next to it to make sure I was not just imagining it. I did a search online and actually found an opinion-piece article saying the same thing.
  • I quickly turned off the "vivid screen mode". I would say that generally I like my colors a little warmer but at default this is too much dayglo.

I will give myself another day but, as it stands right now, between not being able to use a screen protector and the much lower speaker quality I am leaning towards returning this phone.

I'm sure the rest of the hardware is top-notch.

No idea what I would do if I return it.

i used to put protector every time but for my last ~3-4 phones i don't want to use them any more. i don't like the feel and look. The newer gorilla screen seems pretty durable, much more crack resistance but much softer easier to scratch and stuff. as long as i put my phone screen up on the surface and the only thing i put in my pocket my screen looks flawless.

13 minutes ago, T1no said:

i used to put protector every time but for my last ~3-4 phones i don't want to use them any more. i don't like the feel and look. The newer gorilla screen seems pretty durable, much more crack resistance but much softer easier to scratch and stuff. as long as i put my phone screen up on the surface and the only thing i put in my pocket my screen looks flawless.

When I am usually just going out and about, my phone gets its own pocket but if I have to throw my keys in that same pocket I just don't worry about it since I know the screen protector will do its job. When I go the gym, my phone goes into my gym bag's side pocket which has plenty of other things in it and the bag will get jostled around.

I will give myself another day but, as it stands right now, between not being able to use a screen protector and the much lower speaker quality I am leaning towards returning this phone.

I have not used a case or screen protector since 2015 as I find them all annoying. I replace the phones (every year or 2) often enough that it doesn't bother me if it gets a little scratched up.

I can't argue about the speaker quality since I don't use it very often, but I can imagine competitors being better. Lastly, I like the very vivid colors of Samsung, and get rather annoyed by my just recently upgraded iPhone 12 (came from a 7) which is way too blue or yellow. Samsung colors are my jive.

• 2 months later...

Asus Zenfone 9 megathread: https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/waawvn/asus_zenfone_9_megathread/

Pros:

• Small form factor (same size as my pixel 4a or the s22)
  • Strong performance (some mention of GPU thermal throttling with serious gaming and photo/video taking)
  • Solid battery life
  • Decent Speakers (supposedly better than s22)
  • Fingerprint reader - with gestures
  • IP68 water resistance
  • Very good photo/video stabilization
  • Very light android skin
  • Headphone jack

Cons:

• Only 2 years of updates (they promise 2 full android revisions, also no strong history of fast security updates, if this sells poorly they're going to drop updates right at the 2 year mark)
  • No wireless charging
  • Night mode camera processing is slow - I'm seeing some mixed thoughts on the cameras most people are positive but it looks like some additional software tweaking would be appreciated.  No idea of porting the google camera over would be a perfect fix, I've seen some phones where it makes a huge difference and others not so much. 
  • Price? Currently in Euroland it sells for €800, which is basically $800 but the phone hasn't officially launched in the US and some are rumoring a $700 price point
    Either way that's on the expensive side for a phone, even if it has flagship specs. 

This is very very high up on my list as a potential replacement for my pixel 4a.  I don't know what type of official support I might expect to receive on project fi, but I'm seeing multiple commenters saying that there's coverage of basically all of T-mobiles current US bands. 

article - https://frontpagetech.com/2022/08/01/exclusive-pixel-7-and-7-pro-to-launch-october-13th/

According to sources (very reputable sources) both the Pixel 7 and the Pixel 7 Pro will be available for pre-order on October 6th — which likely means the event will take place on the same day — and the devices will officially launch and be available on October 13th.

Hmm

I've been following a lot of Zenfone 9 news and discussions.

I don't need the very best camera on my phone but it needs to be good. Posts like this concern me with multiple reviews mentioning somewhat blurry photos on anything less than ideal lighting conditions. Could this be fixed with a gcam port? Maybe? Who knows. It feels like the hardware itself should be more can capable. Is this a software issue?

ASUS releases bootloader unlock tool, firmware, and kernel sources for the Zenfone 9 is good news because that could really encourage 3rd party software support from groups like LineageOS which could quickly address the somewhat limited software update support Asus has announced.

At this point I'm probably going to wait until we get a bit closer to the Pixel 7 launch (first week of October) but I will be seriously considering the Zenfone 9 since there are a lot of things I like about. One of the things about the Pixel 7 that I keep thinking about is that there are zero guarantees that they have been able to address the reception (modem), overheating and poor fingerprint sensor issues from Tensor 1st gen (example).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPcVAWd-564
Video capture seems solid, but photos aren't super great.  Lots of over-sharpening. 
He didn't mention anything about shutter lag or delay, but most of his pictures were of still or slowly moving objects so I'm not sure if that's covering for any shutter speed issues. 
No idea what kinda of outside support the zenfone 9 will get but obviously the g-cam port may help cover up some of the camera issues, but that's far from confirmed at this point. 

It still seems like waiting for the pixel 7 launch is a smart move, but I doubt pixel 7 is going to see major changes compared to the pixel 6, they're still going to be larger phones with custom silicon that has it's own set of problems. 
The sony xperia 5 IV is another phone on the ~october horizon but sony always has their own set of weirdness with their phones and generally are priced at a premium for some reason. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/4/2022 at 10:36 AM, kuhla said:

I've been following a lot of Zenfone 9 news and discussions.

I don't need the very best camera on my phone but it needs to be good. Posts like this concern me with multiple reviews mentioning somewhat blurry photos on anything less than ideal lighting conditions. Could this be fixed with a gcam port? Maybe? Who knows. It feels like the hardware itself should be more can capable. Is this a software issue?

ASUS releases bootloader unlock tool, firmware, and kernel sources for the Zenfone 9 is good news because that could really encourage 3rd party software support from groups like LineageOS which could quickly address the somewhat limited software update support Asus has announced.

At this point I'm probably going to wait until we get a bit closer to the Pixel 7 launch (first week of October) but I will be seriously considering the Zenfone 9 since there are a lot of things I like about. One of the things about the Pixel 7 that I keep thinking about is that there are zero guarantees that they have been able to address the reception (modem), overheating and poor fingerprint sensor issues from Tensor 1st gen (example).

So it looks like the Asus Zenfone 9 is going to be shipping to people in the US in like late October meaning it's likely going to available right around the same time as the Pixel 7. If Google doesn't knock it out of the park with the Pixel 7 then I think I'm going to make the risky decision on going with a Zenfone which might mean a return to the root'n'rom days.

• 5 months later...