Tactically Inept

Hawken

kuhla

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

source - http://kotaku.com/5882606/gorgeous-mech-sh...lay-in-december

According to an exclusive story over at VentureBeat, the small team at Adhesive Games will be publishing Hawken as a free-to-play title in December under its Meteor Entertainment division. Adhesive took inspiration for the free-to-play model from the success of Riot Games' wildly popular League of Legends.

To which I say whatever, free mechs.

The only thing better than free mechs is closed beta access to free mechs, which you can currently sign up for at www.playhawken.com.

LoL has 92+ champions. They release one every 2 weeks, I do not think that the hawken devs could even come close to releasing a new mech every 2 weeks. If you price them to be worth roughly 10 champions, people would grind for all eternity before they could unlock a new mech (this is roughly how tribes ascend had their system). I understand the mastery tree, rewarding players with a higher rank. I don't think rune pages would carry over. You could try one of two things. Either make mech customization cost real money/large amounts of in game currency, or limit the number of mechs available to free players and have the paying players gain unlimited access.

Keep in mind that in either case you start getting close to the pay to win model. I could also see them trying to allow visual customization of the mechs, but I'm not sure how many people would pay for that, and if it would ruin the aesthetic of their game.

LoL has 92+ champions. They release one every 2 weeks, I do not think that the hawken devs could even come close to releasing a new mech every 2 weeks. If you price them to be worth roughly 10 champions, people would grind for all eternity before they could unlock a new mech (this is roughly how tribes ascend had their system). I understand the mastery tree, rewarding players with a higher rank. I don't think rune pages would carry over. You could try one of two things. Either make mech customization cost real money/large amounts of in game currency, or limit the number of mechs available to free players and have the paying players gain unlimited access.

Keep in mind that in either case you start getting close to the pay to win model. I could also see them trying to allow visual customization of the mechs, but I'm not sure how many people would pay for that, and if it would ruin the aesthetic of their game.

Running on that idea:

* 10 base model mechs available, free, day 1

* each mech has 3 weapon variations (so 30 variations total), only the "base" variation free on day 1

* introduce 1 new mech every month with its variations, so 3 new variations per month

* all new mechs require unlock with ip

* skill trees could be the same offense (stuff like faster reloading, faster lock on, faster cooldown), defensive (more armor, less emp effect, stealth abilities, better anti miss), utility (more radar range, more jump range, more sprint speed, faster reacter turn on/off)

* skin unlocks could be camo and decals, restricted to stuff from "inside" the universe like mechwarrior 4 had

* yea I guess rune pages could be dropped

In a year, you would be adding 36 unique mech combos bringing it up to 66 total in year 1. That's not bad. It would stick close to the LoL model. I think it is doable.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

malaphax and I played this a bit last night.

It was my first time playing it and my impressions are mostly positive. Much faster gameplay than a simulation like mechwarrior. Closed to a more traditional FPS. Visually it's pretty busy but it has a certain style to it and reasonable high quality. Will probably play it again but probably only casually and occasionally. Customization is more limited than I thought. There is actually significantly more visual/skinning customization than technical. All aesthetic modifications are $$ and technical ones can all be bought with in-game credit earned by playing. Just playing 5 games last night netted me almost 500 credits and a whole new mech is about 6500, everything else is less, so it shouldn't take long to afford big upgrades. The biggest portion of credits earned is literally "time spent per round" so just sinking time in it gets you points. Good performance is just a bit extra.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Hawken is going to be on Steam. I will most likely re-download it and play it, mostly because Steam should add a decent bump to the amount of active players. They're currently sending out emails to people who already have accounts. It should be fully up and running in the next couple of weeks.

https://community.playhawken.com/news/_/game-info/hawken-on-steam-a-new-battlefield-awaits-r330

• 2 months later...