• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

A few weeks back my VPN subscription ran out with Private Internet Access.  I've seen some various rumblings about how the company that now owns them isn't a great company and since they're US based it's not a good service to use etc.  I'd also had some minor issues regarding connectivity with their firefox plugin (I don't generally use their windows client or any openVPN clients).  So I decided to try out NordVPN which I've heard is solid and submits to outside audits to prove out their lack of logging. 
Sadly this didn't go very well.  The NordVPN firefox plugin has almost no options other than 4 connection points and a "pause" button that lets you temporarily disable the vpn connection.  I had constant issues with webpages refusing to load, elements loading glacially slow and some websites that flat out broke even though the connection said it was working.  I saw some minor performance gains with their proxy on qbitorrent, but nothing special.  I gave this a real shot, and asked for a refund today and switched back to PIA. 
I'm still not super thrilled with PIA, but some of the other VPNs I've looked at either had limited browser plugins or didn't rate any better than PIA.  Maybe at some point I'll research other providers more thoroughly and find something I feel better about, but considering my limited use, I'm not sure how much of a benefit a better VPN service would provide. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I actually looked myself in the mirror (metaphorically) and asked why I'm considering a new build when my current build is fast enough for everything I currently do.

I should just get a new video card (which will require a new case too because cards are fuck huge now) and call it a day.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/3/2022 at 2:03 PM, kuhla said:

I actually looked myself in the mirror (metaphorically) and asked why I'm considering a new build when my current build is fast enough for everything I currently do.

I should just get a new video card (which will require a new case too because cards are fuck huge now) and call it a day.

Not worth a new thread of its own..... not yet at least.....

Current Upgrade Option New Build Option

MOBO ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX/ac B550 or X570 something ~$200 B650 or X670 something ?$?$?
GPU Gigabyte GTX 1080 3080 Ti or 3090 Ti 4xxx something, 4080?
CPU AMD Ryzen 7 1700X (OC @ 3.8GHz) AMD Ryzen 7 5800X ($220 @ MC) AMD Ryzen 7 7700X ($399 @ MSRP)
RAM G.SKILL Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4 @ 3200 Keep? DDR5 something, maybe ~$160-$200
CASE Fractal Design Define Nano S Lian Li O11 Air Mini ? Lian Li O11 Air Mini ?
PSU Corsair AX860 Keep? Keep?
SSD Samsung Evo 850 1TB Keep? Keep?
COOL Corsair H100i + Gentle Typhoon AP-45 Scythe Fuma 2 Scythe Fuma 2

Because of the CPU and memory alone, it's pretty much guaranteed that the middle option would be $300-$400 cheaper.

I cannot get away from the fact that if I upgrade the GPU to one of the 3-4 slot monstrosities that I have to upgrade the case.

As far as I know, I'm still not CPU or GPU bound in any of my regular tasks right now. The biggest percievable upgrade would come from a new GPU.

Future-proofing is all well and good but I stressed it so much on my current build and it ended up not doing me any good.

• 4 weeks later...

Most of the 4090 reviews all mentioned that rasterization performance was 50 - 100% over 3090 and nvidia's claimed 2x performance was mostly with ray tracing and certain productivity applications. 
I think it's correct to call this a titan GPU that's been rebadged as a 90 series card so Nvidia can continue to claim the top gaming spot through sheer horsepower. 

This review focuses mostly on editing workflows, streaming, upscaling, and encoding where the 2x (or more) performance is absolutely there and AV1 takes it to another level. 
Weirdly the Intel Arc GPUs are also crazy good with AV1, I know linus tech tips posted a video suggesting running a secondary Arc GPU as a dedicated AV1 encoder, but that only makes sense if you don't buy a 4000 series GPU since the AV1 impact even on the slow preset is almost zero, it drops the average very slightly but the 1% lows remain the same so the perceived smoothness should be there. 

• AV1 dual encoders can split the frames in half horizontally (top half / bottom half) so in theory there could be a seam in the recording but that doesn't seem to be present
  • Nothing really supports AV1 right now, Twitch has talked about moving their platform to it and I think youtube might support it but OBS doesn't support it in a full release (early beta only) just expect this will take some time before the wider adoption happens
    • There's also some stuff from Digital Foundry that basically said below 8000kbps AV1 gains are good (especially at 5000 or below) but past 8000 the differences are so small as to be negligible. 
      I guess the twitch plebs could see some better stream quality but anyone partnered that has higher bitrate limits might not actually benefit. 
  • Nvidia is still being weirdly locked down with the number of encoder sessions available they bumped it from 2 to 3 a while back but it still seems like an arbitrary limit to sell their enterprise A series GPUs
    This may eventually become a problem if you wanted to re-encode your media library to AV1 and are limited to 3 files at once, but that's a future problem and very small use case
    • Sidenote the new encoders are indeed new, the decoders are actually the same as the 3000 series - check the full chart here
  • Power draw is actually being severely misrepresented - I partially blame the early leaks.  The cards can indeed draw 450w peak (or theoretically 600 with AIBs hitting the ATX 3.0 limit) but often during workloads the 4090 draws less power than 3090 (and way less than 3090ti).  I still think it's probably prudent to consider a PSU upgrade with the 4000 series, mostly for the new native 12pin connector and not that horrifically ugly adapter dongle,  but I'm still not seeing many ATX 3.0 PSUs.  Most seem to be aiming for the end of this year. 
    • There's also DerBauer showing that you can undervolt the 4090 from 450w peak power target to 320w peak and get 95% (or more) of the performance and cooler temps, so... it's not a power hungry monster.
      This is beyond frustrating because it basically means that these ludicrous coolers are absolutely unnecessary, they should have just dropped the power consumption targets instead of saying "yea just let that shit ride straight to the 600w spec lol"
      Der Bauer himself basically thinks that Nvidia fucked this all up and could have ran this card slightly lower power on more traditional 8pin connectors but they're forcing 12pin connector adoption as a way to push ATX 3.0 spec - but no PCI-E gen 5 support? Wut? None of this makes sense. 
  • Cooling performance also looks good, but it again seems like the AIBs went nuts.  I guess they saw the power limits and decided it needed to be capable to cooling that rather than letting cards throttle if they started hitting thermal limits.  Nvidia's coolers have gotten better but AIBs just decided to throw huge coolers and fans at the problem. 
    • I'm seeing most reviewers say that the cards run very quietly which is good news, and that stock fan curves are very reasonable.  DerBauer even said that his review unit never hit higher fan speeds until he manually set them above 45%, and that again speaks to the weird overbuilt cooling on these things. 

Overall the 4000 series is super odd.  It's a performance king (for now, I suspect AMD is going to be fairly close).  It's a massive generational leap (as was 3000 series), and if the 4080 shows similar performance it would be a hell of a card to have.  Pricing is super fucked, it's technically way lower than the inflated/scalped 3000 series prices but still absurd, especially when 4080's are listed at $1200MSRP and AIBs will probably push that another $100-200 higher.  This hits at an awful time with global recession looming, energy prices (especially in Europe) spiking, and a crypto winter that might turn into a crypto ice age. 
I'm also getting 2000 series flashbacks because so much of the cool features of the 4000 series are promises for the future.  DLSS 2.0 is barely in a handful of games let alone DLSS 3.0 support.  AV1 sounds great for streaming but OBS and twitch don't currently support it and probably wont until sometime next year.  Even more bluntly, there aren't many titles that can even stress the 4000 series unless you're running 4k, which is absolutely not the majority of gamers. 

Even more bluntly, there aren't many titles that can even stress the 4000 series unless you're running 4k, which is absolutely not the majority of gamers. 

This is basically the only issue I have with the 4090. i don't have a strong use case for it compared to going from the 1080 Ti to the 3080 Ti. I only play World of Warships and I get uncomfortably warm from my PC when I game. That being said, with the performance aspects today, I'm debating switching my display to 240 Hz (from 120 Hz) and seeing how steady frames I can get. Although that adds DSC to my display which is a challenge still with the 4090 since its only DP1.4. 

Would also have to upgrade my display to handle DP2.0 as well but I don't see Samsung launching a new DP2.0 display anytime soon without the right graphics cards.

On 9/13/2022 at 11:25 AM, kuhla said:

Not worth a new thread of its own..... not yet at least.....

Current Upgrade Option New Build Option

MOBO ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX/ac B550 or X570 something ~$200 B650 or X670 something ?$?$?
GPU Gigabyte GTX 1080 3080 Ti or 3090 Ti 4xxx something, 4080?
CPU AMD Ryzen 7 1700X (OC @ 3.8GHz) AMD Ryzen 7 5800X ($220 @ MC) AMD Ryzen 7 7700X ($399 @ MSRP)
RAM G.SKILL Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4 @ 3200 Keep? DDR5 something, maybe ~$160-$200
CASE Fractal Design Define Nano S Lian Li O11 Air Mini ? Lian Li O11 Air Mini ?
PSU Corsair AX860 Keep? Keep?
SSD Samsung Evo 850 1TB Keep? Keep?
COOL Corsair H100i + Gentle Typhoon AP-45 Scythe Fuma 2 Scythe Fuma 2

Because of the CPU and memory alone, it's pretty much guaranteed that the middle option would be $300-$400 cheaper.

I cannot get away from the fact that if I upgrade the GPU to one of the 3-4 slot monstrosities that I have to upgrade the case.

As far as I know, I'm still not CPU or GPU bound in any of my regular tasks right now. The biggest percievable upgrade would come from a new GPU.

Future-proofing is all well and good but I stressed it so much on my current build and it ended up not doing me any good.

So the interesting new development here is there is now an "upgrade option 2" (referring to the table above).

Intel's new i5-13600K is $80 more (at $300) and basically gives me the same option to carry over my current memory and still consider DDR5 later if I really want to. EDIT: I should probably also explain that the 13600K beats the 5800X at everything (gaming and productivity) and is very competitive with the 7700x at everything too while also being cheaper.

Definitely a strong option at this point and I will be thinking about it.

• 1 month later...

I was running into an issue with my old chromecast ultra (which is old and no longer sold) with weird occasional buffering/stuttering on plex.  This is partially to do with the location of my tv and there being a stone fireplace between the tv and my router.  Either way it pissed me off enough that I just decided to pick up a new chromecast 4k with google tv since this includes dual band I was hoping it would improve connectivity. 

Installation was fine; except you're greeted with gratuitous bloatware and a UI that tries it's best to be the least usable and most obnoxious attempt to sell you content you don't own. 
Luckily this thing is basically a small android box so I managed to find a new launcher that completely replaces the existing terrible android tv. 
I went with projectivy - there are other options but this one has recent updates and didn't require any fun stuff like sideloading or adb commands.  It's brutishly simple and I've cut it down to a small list of streaming apps as the only thing on the home screen.  I would prefer some better customization, but it's more than usable, especially considering the only thing the launcher does is provide me with a menu to access other streaming apps. 

I have not run into the issues with plex streaming (yet) and sincerely hope this will have fixed the issue.  I did a test with some 4k content and even seeking/chapter selection looked fine.  Also it looks like the TV is now correctly sensing dolby atmos and dolby vision off of plex files. 

Sidenote: The included remote is universal and can power on the TV, change input sources and tv volume.  I haven't really tried to use it for changing channels or anything but it effectively means you can ditch the tv remote if you just want to navigate to the chromecast even with everything powered off. 

• 3 months later...