Tactically Inept

Racism

Turvy

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/fl20110503ad.html

Key points:

The Japanese blame the non-Japanese (NJ) for fleeing the country in its times of need. Other NJ's who stayed coinined the word "fly-jin" ripping off the derogatory word "gaijin" which means foreigner. Although those who coined the word were attempting to assimilate into the Japanese society, this only makes NJ's, including themselves, look bad.

The writer questions why NJ would bother staying; why their allegiance should even be called to question when they are alienated, disrespected, and often times suspected without reason.

So he goes on to coin his own word "sheeple" those who timidly follow the herd even when it hurts them on a whole.

+++

I found this topic rather interesting since racism is especially present in Asian cultures. Most of the elders I associated with are pretty much ethnocentric-- they stereotype every race and it irritates me.

Dagnabit! There is a villain in every village! Get over it.

I found this topic rather interesting since racism is especially present in Asian cultures. Most of the elders I associated with are pretty much ethnocentric-- they stereotype every race and it irritates me.

I think this is specifically an American point of view. I have relatives in Europe and have traveled around in the area (malaphax has too so he can probably back me up on this) too and it would seem like most of the rest of the world is at least a bit openly racist. I think we are just extremely sensitive to it here in the USA specifically.

I think some countries are just more outspoken about it than others. Japan being one of them... although they did get a decent number of people in China right after the Japan earthquake to say things in public along the lines of "serves them right" or "they are being punished for their mistakes." Old war wounds.

I've wondered before if ethnocentrism is a protection measure at the small human group level. Expectations of people you know are more likely to be accurate. Assured expectations allows for extensive planning. We humans like to plan things out and have our expectations validated. The distrust of strangers bringing in the unknown. I'm getting too deep here. INCEPTION. WE MUST GO DEEPER. This in no way validates it, just makes sense to me from one perspective.

The racially mixed future. Bring it on.

I've wondered before if ethnocentrism is a protection measure at the small human group level. Expectations of people you know are more likely to be accurate. Assured expectations allows for extensive planning. We humans like to plan things out and have our expectations validated. The distrust of strangers bringing in the unknown.

Actually, that makes perfect sense from an anthropological standpoint. Some Chinese people call Europeans* "yan gue zi" which roughly translates to Western ghosts / western demons because we don't understand them or dislike their foreign policy.

I'm getting too deep here. INCEPTION. WE MUST GO DEEPER. This in no way validates it, just makes sense to me from one perspective.

I have yet to watch Inception. -__-"

The racially mixed future. Bring it on.

Children of mixed heritage are genetically stronger; it'll come to be eventually cuz Darwin said so.

[Edit: Some Chinese people still call Europeans by that term]

Everyone will end up some shade of brown eventually.

Racism is far more heightened in america. While it exists in europe and the rest of the world it's far more open and often mixed with nationality as well. Keep in mind this is not new, and as much as we'd like to say we're above and beyond the tribal mentality, things like racism and nationalism are generally tribal type of issues on a much larger scale (albeit we haven't gone to war for these things in a while).

I'd also point out the term gaijin is a racist term, it's never used in a positive context, there is no real english approximation, foreigner can be perceived as neutral or even kind, while gaijin smacks far more of something like outsider or stranger.

Posted Image

Unfortunately racism is such a sensitive topic here in america because of slavery. I won't go into the topic very much because I have rather ugly views on some of that topic and the people who encourage the spread of racism.

Children of mixed heritage are genetically stronger; it'll come to be eventually cuz Darwin said so.

True story. Generally more attractive too. I remember being linked to a thread on some random forum I do not frequent that was dedicated to finding all the racially mixed celebrities in the world. Was kind of interesting to see all the different mixes. Actually I'm going to see if I can find it... I think this is it... not sure... http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f96/bi-ra...dels-43935.html that looked somewhat right based off some real quick googling....

Everyone will end up some shade of brown eventually.

I remember seeing a picture before of the theoretical person with a mix of a bunch of genetic traits common to most racial groups. Was pretty much what you describe. It was darker than my skin but not "dark" by most people's standards.

Tiger Woods is a crazy mix so maybe we can use him as an example. He is African/Chinese on his dad's side and Thai/Dutch on his mom's side.

Tiger Woods is a crazy mix so maybe we can use him as an example. He is African/Chinese on his dad's side and Thai/Dutch on his mom's side.

-_- I don't like Tiger Woods but I won't deny he's good looking.

Now if we're talking about good looking men of mixed heritage-- Daniel Henney Irish/Korean. Now that guy is good looking.

I too was raised with a lot of racist ideology but the public school system kicked it out of me and made me not so racist. I feel that being in civilization it is our duty as a member of modern society to rise above basic tribal ideas when it makes logical sense to do so. In either case I consider that French/Asian is undeniably the hottest type of lady out there for me. I don't particularly find most Chinese to be particularly attractive to be honest and I avoided any interest in them up until end of high school. I'm all spreading the genetic diversity IMO and will continue to strive for that goal. :ph34r:

You avoided interest in them...

How? You're either interested or you're not. I would really like to learn how to avoid interest in a particular person because I am having difficulties in that area right now.

How? You're either interested or you're not. I would really like to learn how to avoid interest in a particular person because I am having difficulties in that area right now.

Richard can correct me here if I'm wrong but we talked about this before and from what I recall: He just didn't have any interest in people of that background and thus never even considered any relationships like that. I don't think he actively avoided an existing interest.

I don't think he actively avoided an existing interest.

:head on desk: And here I was with my hopes up.

Where there is hope, there is disappointment.