Tactically Inept

[HBO] Game of Thrones

kuhla

We really should have a thread about this even though it's really just me and malaphax watching this right now.

I grabbed the SD version of episode 5 because it was available long before the 720p version popped up on demonoid. I'm about to start it. Hoping it goes well.

For anyone who has no idea, then go read the wiki, it's a good show on HBO that airs each sunday: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_of_thrones

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lol I already finished watching the HD version 10 minutes ago.

The series is good. The dialogue is well delivered and certainly not brainless. It's far more about political intrigue and uneasy alliances than it is about action or typical fantasy fare. I especially like that this fantasy setting has no magic, the closest they have is dragons (which are all dead), and "white walkers" who are basically evil spirits that haven't yet come into play.

We've got 5 more episodes to go, I believe and they're going to do a second season so hopefully we'll have this cover the various novels of the series (7 books, not all are out yet).

I admit this is one of the first shows where the child actors actually seem to hold up, and almost all of the characters have enough depth to them to feel believable and real. Great series I would recommend it to anyone, and be happy to rewatch the episodes if we wanted to watch this a group.

Lol I already finished watching the HD version 10 minutes ago.

The CTU release (I'm assuming that is what you have) only made it to demonoid at about 9:30pm. FQM had an SD version available at about 8pm. Other than the earlier release, getting the SD version meant I could watch it tonight unlike last time where I watched it monday night. I don't want to have to wait for it.

If the show continues with the quality (I figure it should because it's HBO) then I very much hope for a second season.

I hate the fact that they do a very good job of having each episode end on a solid hook making you want more.

I got it from my rss at 7:24. So i guess the site I have it from is a bit faster than the rest of the net. I'd even be willing to stream it for you, but right now I've been using these episodes to get my ratio up, and generally the first few hours after release my upload is pretty maxed. I might just do it anyways since I have a feeling it would be as good of quality as you downloading the SD version. Not to mention I get this generally pretty quick thanks to rss.

The solid hook thing has always been indicative of a good show. The shows that did a great job of this in my mind were: Alias and Battlestar Galactica, both of which I hold it rather high regard. Also HBO is pretty quality stuff, I remember watching some of rome, that was very well done too.

The second season was announced because they had 4.5 million viewers for the first episode. I have a feeling this is a pretty popular show.

I got it from my rss at 7:24. So i guess the site I have it from is a bit faster than the rest of the net. I'd even be willing to stream it for you, but right now I've been using these episodes to get my ratio up, and generally the first few hours after release my upload is pretty maxed. I might just do it anyways since I have a feeling it would be as good of quality as you downloading the SD version. Not to mention I get this generally pretty quick thanks to rss.

I've been helping seed too. As soon as I'm done downloading it I start watching it and then I just leave utorrent open in the background. The number of peers grew really fast. I was watching demonoid's rss and when I started the download there were only 3 seeds but 500 peers which quickly grew to 1500+ peers.

The second season was announced because they had 4.5 million viewers for the first episode. I have a feeling this is a pretty popular show.

Good stuff. Yeah, I see posts about it on other forums and on websites so there is definitely a solid group of people following this. They certainly have the material to keep it going.

I've watched two episodes of it already and it seems quite interesting especially since it doesn't have magic (not a big fan of magic/fantasy) but pure politics....

I don't think it has NO magic but it's just minimal in the storyline so far. I'm actually worried that will change as time goes on. Episode 5 was definitely more intense, more action than previous episodes (although still as a total on the low side). I hope this isn't indicative of a new direction. I would like to keep the drama and politics high and have action as short in-between bits. I don't know what the white walkers will bring to the show later down the line because they seem destined to show up. We'll see.

It's sad when even TV is making you want to read books.

I may end up buying/reading through at least one or two books, it seems like they're also well received. Not to mention all of them are very long (every one of them is 950+ pages except the first one).

From what little I've spoiled myself there is no outright magic, the closest thing is the dragons and white walkers. Actually almost all of the magic is "old", the wall for example was built partially with magic, and the white walkers haven't been seen in thousands of years, all the dragons are dead etc... None of the magic seems to be current, which actually makes the setting a bit more interesting to me.

Like I mentioned previously, I'd be willing to stream this (hooray internet party), but considering my download finished around the same time your SD download was up, it may not be worth it, especially considering the SD version would probably be a bit better quality than my stream. Although, considering you watch and delete your series it certainly is an option.

Select to read spoilers.

I didn't find this episode all that exciting. I feel like there isn't much of a power struggle anymore. You have the Lannisters holding the high ground and a host of characters now branded clearly evil. Conversely you have the Starkes the clear underdogs and still the good guys. I guess I could sum that up as we lost some shades of grey this episode for all the characters. I thought that was the best part.

If people would be up for it we mentioned doing some sort of marathon(s) of this. I have the HD rips and we could watch it at someone's house, probably do like 3 eps at a time. Since very few good movies are coming out anytime soon this would give us a decent reason to get together.

If people would be up for it we mentioned doing some sort of marathon(s) of this. I have the HD rips and we could watch it at someone's house, probably do like 3 eps at a time. Since very few good movies are coming out anytime soon this would give us a decent reason to get together.

Yeah, I was thinking of it more in terms of anyone who is NOT following the show but WANTS to can get caught up with 2-3 weekend marathons with each marathon consisting of 2-3 episodes = 2-3 hours.

Episode 9 is

hoooollllyyyyyy smokeeessss

*edit*

I love the scene where armor beats speed. I would love to take a fencing class or a sword fighting class. Gosh I miss Airsoft....all that gear was heavy and encumbering but it made me feel alive.

EDIT BY KUHLA: Spoiler tags put on.

Episode 9 is

hoooollllyyyyyy smokeeessss

*edit*

I love the scene where armor beats speed. I would love to take a fencing class or a sword fighting class. Gosh I miss Airsoft....all that gear was heavy and encumbering but it made me feel alive.

EDIT BY KUHLA: Spoiler tags put on.

Yeah that scene was pretty cool. It's nice that they had a conversation about that much earlier in the show and now he had a chance to prove it.

In the books he gets fucked up pretty badly, even with the armor. Armor does not make you invincible, but generally it's better than no armor at all. I think the key is that the dothraki have weapons designed to be used against unarmored opponents as opposed to knights with swords and axes and lances that are meant to go through armor as well as flesh.

The series is relatively faithful to the books, but they're not afraid to change a few things or omit them to make it flow more easily. For example Tyrion is supposed to fight, and he headbutts a horse with a spiked helm. Also renly is supposed to be a badass knight, not a complete faggot (that scene is not even in the books).

Alright... blasted through epi 6. Sorry, I tend to talk a lot when watching shows/movies so I'll log off vent to save you all from hearing me rant.

I really like this show because it is all starting to piece together. Clever subtleties. Whoever said a girl can't rule? Next we'll have women as Lords....

Ended up watching till 1:30am before I decided to stop before I physically crashed.

Needless to say, I am addicted and I have no sense of self-control.

I'm really happy that Daenaryus (sp) found a place for herself in the clan. Looks like her husband truly loves her and the clansmen accepts her. I also like her developed personality-- kind, mature, and stately. ^^