Sign in to follow this  
kuhla

[HBO] Game of Thrones

Yea because reading lord of the rings spoiled all the movies for me, and reading dune spoiled those films for me as well.

That's a shitty argument, in fact reading the books gives you a deeper understanding of the source material, and you can see how well the actors do bringing those characters to life. Unless they do a shitty job, nothing is ruined.

SAPPHIRES!!!

The ugly becomes uglier. T_T so sad.

I think Richard just means that the show isn't as good as the book which I will readily agree with. Although the series has remained faithful to the novel you can't show every little detail or there would be way more than 10 episodes.

I'd probably watch season 2 with you guys and then stop. After book two it gets to be unbearable and I don't need visuals.

Yea because reading lord of the rings spoiled all the movies for me, and reading dune spoiled those films for me as well.

That's a shitty argument, in fact reading the books gives you a deeper understanding of the source material, and you can see how well the actors do bringing those characters to life. Unless they do a shitty job, nothing is ruined.

It has happened to me far too often. I read Animorphs and was disgusted in the TV show. Thats one bad example but one none-the-less.

Aside from GoT topic: Damn! I loved the Animorph series! I stopped following the series when the books took forever to come out.

Kind of curious what happened to Toby the Hawk.

EDIT: by series i mean the novels... I never watched the show.

Whoa...

Season 2 starts today. 9pm EST which should be 6pm PST (our time) so I would expect it to be available for download around 7:30pm I hope.

Closer to 8-830 if I remember from last year, but we'll see. I have it on RSS so I'll know...

EDIT: It was 7:14 when it went up for me.

Just finished watching. AWWWW YEA.

They are going really really fast. But I don't think it's unruly or leaving much out. It's just starting to show quite a bit more that it's a tv adaptation. It uses the medium differently. Still amazing stuff.

Do you want to come over to my house and watch it on sundays? I had it downloaded at around 7:30. The one nice thing about my tracker is that I get maxed out from start to finish.

NOOOOOOOO.... T_T

I want to watch.. then again I really don't have the time to.

I heard it was good.

I didn't get a chance to reply after I watched it this afternoon but I have some questions. I'm assuming some of my questions are because I haven't read the books. I put them in spoiler tags just to be safe but I really don't think they are spoilers....

Who is the lady in all red? I don't think they said her name or explained at all what her significance is. Nor what exactly they were doing on the beach. Seemed something about prophecy, going against "new" gods, I didn't much get that.

At the end when they were killing all those babies and young people. Who ordered that? I'm not clear. They are going after the old king's bastard, right? Doesn't make any sense though. I dunno.

The pacing definitely feels faster but I don't blame them. While the number of important characters feels mostly the same, thanks to some dying off last season, I feel like they are much much more spread out than before requiring a lot more moving around from place to place to follow the story.

Also....

Posted Image

....how does Tyrion Lannister sit down with balls that big. I made that gif myself. *pats self on back*

Do you want to come over to my house and watch it on sundays? I had it downloaded at around 7:30. The one nice thing about my tracker is that I get maxed out from start to finish.

I would be interested in this only if this became a group event and it would have to start rather promptly after done downloading. Sunday evenings I start getting back into weekday mode so that means a proper bedtime.

Alright I'll handle the book related info, I will give this with little to no spoilers. And... here we go...

The lady in red is named Melisandre, she worships the god Rhallor. She comes from across the narrow sea. And yes her necklace is glowing when she drinks poison wine, I'll let the rest of the series explain her "attributes." Also on the beach, (or before) Stannis, The oldest Barratheon Brother, has a wife who is bonkers for Melisandre and that religion. He basically decided to join up with her because she was willing to back him and also claims he is their god reborn (hence the fiery sword bit). She said the only way to move forwards was to have his people embrace the new god Rhallor by burning the old ones. So that was the deal with the nice bonfire.

The babies and slaughter was direct result of Jon Arryn and his research. He found all of the Baratheon bastards and as such, left a trail for my nigga Ned. Ned is dead, and Cersei doesn't want anyone with more credibility making claims on the throne. So she tells Janos Slynt (the head of the gold cloaks, who she has now raised to knighthood) that he needs to take care of it. He obliges. There are at least two bastards that are not found by the cull, one of them is the blacksmith apprentice named Gendry, Who was sent off to the wall with Arya at the end of last season. The other may or may not be revealed at a later date in the series.

Alright I did make that offer, and it still stands. However, there are limitations. I currently only have computer monitors to offer, not even a proper tv. I would be willing to do it at your house as well kuhla, but I would not presume to impose. But yes, if you guys want to come over and watch it, that's fine, my house is open. I have a feeling it would be several people crowded around my computer but at least I have decent speakers and a quick download. I had finished watching just before my post at 830, so I doubt we would go past 9. So those with early bedtimes would be reasonably accommodated.

Tempting....

I can't read the spoiler tagged info on my iPhone. -.-

Oh you're right!! If I were to respond I can see it! Sigh.

I can't highlight on this thing

Some broad comments towards the series, that were particularly apparent in this episode. They've in some ways decided to take a more active approach towards various relationships. What is often implied in the books is presented rather bold faced in the series. The best such example would be Renly and his boyfriend from the first season. While the books hinted at this, and even implied it multiple times, they never presented that relationship.

I really enjoy in many ways that the television series takes the books and adapts them in their own unique way. I'm glad that certain characters see more development through a few well placed and well written series of conversations. If the series was just a cliffnotes version of the books, I don't think I would enjoy it as much. Also the actors, especially the "child" actors do a great job. I can't wait to see more.