Tactically Inept

Health & Fitness Thread

kuhla

If we got really crazy we could add a "Sports, Health & Other Physical Activities" section but I'm not sure enough people would post there....

True enough but I don't think a thread about it would be much of a waste so here it is. I debated putting this in Serious Discussions but decided otherwise.

Over the summer I'm going to try to clean up my diet again. Total calorie intake is fine, my weight hasn't changed much in a long time. The quality of those calories however is poor compared to how I used to eat. The weekend smorgasbord isn't the problem since it's only friday night, saturday night and sometimes saturday afternoon. The problem is during the week, up until recently, I was eating absolutely whatever I wanted for lunch which just doesn't work. This (below) is pretty much what I've eaten/will eat today which wasn't too bad overall. Lunch was decent and I didn't have some random mid-day lunch snack like a pop-tart which helped.

Breakfast:

1/2 cup quaker's oatmeal

150 calories

3g fat

27g carbs

5g protein

2 scoops protein powder

260 calories

4g fat

4g carbs

54g protein

1 glass of orange juice (estimated at 12fl oz)

150 calories

0g fat

36g carbs (all sugar)

2g protein

Lunch:

Flame Broiler Chicken Plate

850 calories

7g fat

89g carbs

59g protein

Dinner: 

Whatever mom makes. Assuming a potatoe, breaded pork, vegetables.

825 calories

30g fat

65g carb

75g protein

Evening Snack:

Granola (homemade, bowl-full)

600 calories

29g fat

63g carbs

19g protein

Totals		Calories: 2835

Fat: 80g

Carbs: 250g

Protein: 214g

Theoretical Totals

Fat @ 9.4 calories per gram = 752

Carbs @ 4.1 calories per gram = 1025

Protein @ 4.1 calories per gram = 877.4

Total Theoretical = 2654 calories

BMR (averaging from a few online calculators): 2100-2200 calories

Calories Burned (averaging from a few online calculators): 2900-3200 calories

Other

3L of water.

Various zero-calorie drinks.

I'm also going to be changing my workout schedule but there are so many variables up in the air regarding that I don't have anything definitive yet. I've been told to expect a lot more hours at my work this summer combined with I want to revamp the overall workout anyhow. I do know that it will probably end up being in the evening though.

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh geez, I am a horrible eater in comparison. And of course as I am typing this I am eating 2 scoops of ice cream. :P

Healthy and Fitness wise, I eat less at night more in the day and exercise at least 2-3x a week. Most of which is moderate exercise.

I'll stop posting in this thread after this but I'm interested in reading all of your health inputs.

-___-" By the looks of things the title to this thread ought to change to "Unhealthy Food Binges for Couch Potatoes"

The only healthy guy is kuhla.

Okay, I know I'm supposed to cut down on carbs and eat more protein-- but I really want to eat Ramen. I want to eat at Foo Foo Tei! I heard they're good! =D

So after thinking about it and wanting to be healthy-- I was going to opt for Rubio's instead of ramen-- then I checked the calorie count and had a "WTF" moment. -__- Needless to say, I am not going to look at calorie counters again. It ruined my appetite.

Pulled a muscle in my neck. Again. I do it at least once every other month. It's always on shoulder press. I've done with with barbells, dumbbells, standing, sitting, doesn't seem to matter. Painful to turn my neck right now.

Ugh, sorry buddy. I do that in Judo too but my mom rubs this Chinese medicine "Red Flower Oil" into my neck and shoulder blades to expedite the healing process. I can't find the exact brand in America but whenever my father goes to Singapore, he buys some back.

You want some? Or you can "with all the str of a raging fire" be a man and just wait for it to heal. (snorts)

:lol:

Ask your mom to massage your neck with some lotion just to loosen the tension. It'll help too.

Badminton 3 days in a row and my wrist doesn't hurt. I'm really excited that it's finally healing up.

I need to do some agility conditioning and endurance training.

I really need to stop putting junk in my system. I feel sluggish and was nearly ready to hurl after a mile run yesterday evening. (This was after I ate creme brulee.)

That being said, I have a three part goal for this year.

1) Trim off excess fat

2) Increase flexibility of limbs

3) Increase endurance

Steps to accomplish said goals:

1) Eat properly, limit dessert/snacks or switch with healthy alternatives (fruits)

2) Stretch everyday for at least 15 minutes

3) Run at least 2 times a week for now. Up it to 3 times once summer session is over; I also plan on resuming Judo at that time.

Saw the doctor today for a regular physical, bloodwork and decided to bring up my back issue (that some of you know about) that has been a problem for years now. He referred me to a physical therapist at the school that works with athletes. I met the therapist today to schedule an appointment and describe the problem and will meet with her tomorrow for the actual evaluation. If they think I have a legitimate problem then the will go ahead and continue to work with me for the rest of the summer otherwise they will do an evaluation, make some exercise recommendations and send me on my way. It's fairly cheap overall because it's through the school. I wish I had availed myself of these student health services sooner. I'll let you guys know what they say tomorrow.

I really need to stop putting junk in my system. I feel sluggish and was nearly ready to hurl after a mile run yesterday evening. (This was after I ate creme brulee.)

That being said, I have a three part goal for this year.

1) Trim off excess fat

2) Increase flexibility of limbs

3) Increase endurance

My summer goals are mostly the same.

1) I'm mostly just reducing calories. I'm already eating pretty clean. Skipping the afternoon snack. 1 full plate of food instead of 2. No granola (HNNNN) if I had a high calorie dinner already.

2) I really should stretch more. Everyday would be best buy right now I'm only doing it 2-3 times a week at different levels of intensity. Mostly hamstring related.

3) I've upped the cardio a bit obviously by doing the trail runs and I've been trying to up the time a bit on the stationary bike at the gym. Other than that I'm not sure what I would do. I guess I should run more but meh.

I'm pretty frustrated with my strength work right now.

I'll let you guys know what they say tomorrow.

I worked with the physical therapist for about 30 minutes doing various tests to try and identify different issues. Results:

* She does not think I have any mechanical problems so getting x-rays might be a bit excessive. The doctor had come to the same conclusion earlier so having heard it from two professionals now, I'll hold off on pushing for that.

* I have some muscular imbalance around my hips which may be from an injury I had a long time ago that I told her about. For those that don't know, I injured my left hip at the leg joint at the beach one time back when I was about 12. I never saw a doctor after injuring it but I was incapable of walking for 2-3 weeks and limped for almost 3 months afterwards. Regardless of where it came from she recommended to just continue with the core work I already do in the gym and increase it in terms of variety to try and even out my hips. Perhaps also trying to use more core more during other exercises to try to force myself to be more aware of it. There was more than that discussed about that but I'm not going to type out every thing.

* She feels most of my current back strength (and posture) problems arise from flexibility. I wasn't sure if she was just trying to joke but she said I have the tightest hamstrings of anyone she has ever worked with. Glutes could use some stretching too. Conversely my quads are very flexible. She recommends I stretch for 15 minutes, 2-3 times a day, every day. After I have more flexibility in my hips, go back to doing more back strength exercises and see if I notice a difference.

* I won't be going back for any treatment but she would like me to check in maybe towards the end of summer to see how I'm progressing.

=/ By the looks of things, you have a long way to go for stretching but if you keep at it everyday, you should be fine. Remember to warm up before you stretch and don't do static stretches before you run.

I'm running tomorrow. If any of you want to join I'll be on the trail ~5:45pm.

Trying to reduce my junk food intake again and lose trim some lbs. Need to go back into at least 3x a week exercise routine. I definitely noticed my endurance would go down noticeably if I didn't exercise at least once every 3 days. I would have almost no improvement in endurance/performance but would maintain my weight/strength at my fast food diet if I only exercised once a week. When I did a 3x week exercise (1-3 mile run, 30+ push ups, 30+ situps), I was able to lose 10 lbs in about 2 months and I've kept it mostly off for the past year. Need to go back to subway diet.

Trying to reduce my junk food intake again and lose trim some lbs. Need to go back into at least 3x a week exercise routine. I definitely noticed my endurance would go down noticeably if I didn't exercise at least once every 3 days. I would have almost no improvement in endurance/performance but would maintain my weight/strength at my fast food diet if I only exercised once a week. When I did a 3x week exercise (1-3 mile run, 30+ push ups, 30+ situps), I was able to lose 10 lbs in about 2 months and I've kept it mostly off for the past year. Need to go back to subway diet.

I know you have already heard this many times but I'm going to say it one more time, I really don't think you need(ed) to lose weight. For your size and build, I really think you would benefit much more from gaining muscle mass. Doing that means you mostly gain weight as you put on muscle. You may lose some fat in the meantime or not. Having a clean diet is never a bad thing so I'm all for encouraging you to continue that but I wish you wouldn't be doing it with the goal of dropping weight.

I'm running tomorrow. If any of you want to join I'll be on the trail ~5:45pm.

I do not know how well I'm going to do today's run...

source - http://www.exrx.net/Stretches/HipExternalR...iformisMod.html

Posted Image

...that is one of my prescribed stretches and it's leaving me sore for hours after doing them. I don't know if that will affect the run today but we'll see.

offtopic: That source link, exrx.net has been a resource I have been going to for a long time and value highly.

lol... blubber ^.^

I haven't heard that word used in a long time. It reminds me of a walrus.

Anyways, yikes! Looks like fun stretches.