Tactically Inept

Health & Fitness Thread

kuhla

@kuhla: I think you're right with regards to my trapezius injury. I've been more conscious about my posture and sleeping position lately and now it feels a little better.

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Did not sleep well. Kept replaying the butterfly stroke in my head over and over again. The never ending undulation nearly drove me mad.

Issues I know of: 1) I'm kicking twice before I come up for water instead of spreading the kicks out-- once to get my hands and head out of water and again once my head submerges.

2) I think I arch my back too much when I come up for air.

3) I think I'm doing the breaststroke movement with my hands

I get it in theory but it's not so simple in practice.

I mentioned that I've attempted it before. My dad tried teaching me the kick for butterfly once and he told me to pretend I'm a mermaid-- then after watching me flounder around for a few minutes he told me to stick to breaststroke because "You're a better frog than a mermaid" and "a jack-of-all-trades is a master of none".

Ouch. (note: breaststroke is called "frog stroke" in Chinese.)

After that, I never tried it again in front of people because of two things: 1) it's sexy 2) I look like an idiot.

I've always wanted to learn butterfly but I was too shy/afraid to try it.

After that, I never tried it again in front of people because of two things: 1) it's sexy 2) I look like an idiot.

That's a terrible attitude. That's like people who don't like to do/learn barbell squats because they have to stick their butt out and they get self conscious about it. You laugh but I've seen people react this way the first time they tried them. Fitness is fitness. Who gives a fuck what other people think.

I periodically try new exercises a the gym (like the barbell complex I mentioned earlier) and the other day I tried dumbbell jump squats (video below) for the first time. I've never seen someone else do them and I got some stares but whatever. Screw them. I'm getting stronger, faster, fitter.

Vid 1 (from a couple days back): OMFG-- that looks hard

Vid 2: That doesn't look silly in the slightest. We have to do those in judo but without weights--squat all the way down, then jump up as high as possible, and tuck our knees up to our chest. Just thinking about it makes my legs sore.

Edit: Diction matters.

Yesterday I was doing some reading on sugars and sports drinks in response to the fact that I have been getting some mildly hypoglycemic reactions during some of my recent workouts. It's not something new, I've had it happen to me before but I want to do something about it before I pass out in the middle of a workout. I'm almost curious enough to try making my own sports drink for consumption pre-workout and during. Mostly as a fun experiment. Some notes:

source - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gatorade

The original Gatorade is based on oral rehydration therapy, a long known simple mixture of salt, sugar and water used to combat dehydration, with the addition of citrus based flavoring and food coloring.

source - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oral_rehydration_therapy

A basic oral rehydration therapy solution consists of:

* 30 ml (6 level tsp) of SUGAR

* 2.5 ml (1/2 level tsp) of SALT; dissolved into

* 1 litre (4.25 Cups) of CLEAN WATER

That seemed simple enough but I wanted to know which type of sugar. Glucose (also known as dextrose), fructose or sucrose (also known as table sugar). I wanted to find a more scientific article that picked one but instead found mostly forum discussions about the topic. The prevailing opinion seems to be in favor of dextrose. Something to do with the speed of digestion and the pathway that it takes. I don't want to regurgitate some fancy sounding stuff that I don't understand. I don't have my degree in broscience. I might look into it more later.

Based on earlier discussion of a study on how sports drinks may be bad for your teeth:

http://articles.cnn.com/2009-04-08/health/...in?_s=PM:HEALTH

Sports drinks can rehydrate you after a workout, but they also may wreak havoc on your teeth. Prolonged consumption of these types of beverages could lead to erosive tooth wear, according to a study presented at the International Association for Dental Research in Miami on Friday.

Previous studies found that sports beverages can damage tooth enamel -- even more so than soda -- due to a combination of acidic components, sugars, and additives. This research looked specifically at the way sports drinks affected dentin, the dental tissue under enamel that determines the size and shape of teeth.

All of the tested sports drinks caused softening of the dentin, and Gatorade and Powerade caused significant staining. The researchers used cut-in-half teeth in the study, which exposed the dentin.

Any beverage that has high acid content can weaken the enamel, making the teeth more susceptible to bacteria that can sneak into the cracks and crevices in the teeth. Sugar can exacerbate the situation, encouraging the bacterial growth, according to Kimberly Harms, a spokesperson for the American Dental Association. "Sugar is bad, and acid is bad, but many of these [sports] drinks have both. The combination causes tooth decay," says Harms.

Now then:

http://www.dentistry.com/daily-dental-care...s-bad-for-teeth

The Chicago Dental Society urges athletes to use sports drinks in the following fashion.

Use sports drinks in moderation; also use fruit juices or soft drinks in moderation because they have the same potential to erode teeth. Water is the best drink for light workouts in which less body fluids are lost.

Dilute sports drinks with water.

Drink sports drinks while they are cold. Warm temperatures speed erosion.

If possible, use a straw to reduce contact between the drink and teeth. Do not hold the drink in your mouth or swish it around.

Do not brush your teeth immediately after consuming a sports drink. The acid in sports drinks makes teeth softer and brushing can cause protective enamel to be lost.

Yeah, I remember you mentioning those articles. The conclusion I would draw from both studies you linked is: Sugar consumption from any source should be monitored for general as well as dental health.

Also on page 2 of the CNN article:

Athletes and even sports enthusiasts don't have to give up their sports drinks completely. "The most important factor is exposure," says Harms. Drinking a sports beverage in one sitting is not as damaging to your teeth as sipping on one throughout the day. Other preventative techniques include sipping through a straw and drinking plenty of water to flush the mouth, she says.

I'm all for low/no calorie/sugar free/fat free whatever diet/clean/organic stuff but I running into a blood sugar problem. I need to consume some kind of sugar just before/during my workout to make it go away. Some mild dehydration naturally needs to be addressed too.

Before anyone starts thinking I'm diabetic you can go fly a kite. I do not have diabetes.

Yeah, I remember you mentioning those articles. The conclusion I would draw from both studies you linked is: Sugar consumption from any source should be monitored for general as well as dental health.

Yeah, that's a note for myself. More so since I drink lemon infused water on a daily basis and then eat sweets. Acid + sugar galore.

Before anyone starts thinking I'm diabetic you can go fly a kite. I do not have diabetes.

LOL.

I'd say eat some fruits 30 minutes before you go and bring a snack for after. I don't know what your regular exercise regime is, but you've probably upped it quite a bit as of late.

I almost never drink anything but water nowadays

I just make sure to eat plenty of carbs beforehand

other than that first time at the gym i havn't had any problems

do you think making your own drinks might be more cost effective? or are you looking to just have something thats better than what they make?

ill flip through my nutrition book i think i remember it having a section on sports drinks

I don't know what your regular exercise regime is, but you've probably upped it quite a bit as of late.

I'm exercising 5 days a week at this point with every workout lasting at least an hour in addition to running mondays and wednesdays.

do you think making your own drinks might be more cost effective? or are you looking to just have something thats better than what they make?

Kind of for the fun of trying it although it might be better than what is retail available. I strongly doubt it would be cheaper; most likely much more expensive.

i skimmed through the sections on hypoglycemia and sports drinks

the general gist i got was that sports drinks are not really made to combat hypoglycemia. the main purpose is to prevent sodium depletion and dehydration.

however since they do contain sugar, they supply glucose to the body so that will help with low blood sugar.

an alternate solution could be to up your carb intake before your workout

as for making your own sports drink;

from what i see carbohydrate concentrations greater than 8 percent should be avoided as they will prevent water absorbtion by tissues

about 7 percent glucose is the "ideal" concentration.

also keep in mind all sports drinks are flavored. if you don't flavor yours it'll most likely taste bad; i don't think you'll care.

I keep re-spraining my right ankle so I think I'm out of commission for any badminton or running this week. I've been using an ankle brace at night when I'm at home but I'm going to buy one to wear during the day and when I go exercising. I don't think I'm binding my ankle properly.

I may have to speed walk up hills or find other means of exercise this week. Can't swim either. This sucks.

xT

Quick Edit: From my research, I should strengthen my ankle with exercises and a wobble board. Sounds fun.

I keep re-spraining my right ankle so I think I'm out of commission for any badminton or running this week. I've been using an ankle brace at night when I'm at home but I'm going to buy one to wear during the day and when I go exercising. I don't think I'm binding my ankle properly.

I may have to speed walk up hills or find other means of exercise this week. Can't swim either. This sucks.

xT

Quick Edit: From my research, I should strengthen my ankle with exercises and a wobble board. Sounds fun.

Heal first. Then strengthen. Remember the ankle has a lot of ligaments. You can't really strengthen those. The best you can do is exercise the muscle around it in the calf and plantar (bottom of foot). See preventative exercises: http://www.exrx.net/Kinesiology/Inflexibil...#anchor13355148

What I did today:

Pre-workout: http://www.rockstar69.com/productIngredients.php?pdt=19 ingredients for this thing http://www.rockstar69.com/product.php?pdt=19

During Workout: 1 Dextro energy tablet. It's a mix of maltodextrin and dextros. I can't quite figure out the quantities since the ingredients list is in german. I think it's 5g a tablet but I'm not sure. Also a 1L G-Gatorade which sources it's sugar from sucrose and dextrose. That comes to probably about 60g of sugar over the course of an hour along with the sodium and water. I think total calories comes to 220 and I easily burned that many during the workout.

Results:

Very noticeable. Felt like I had more energy for the first half. I still reached a point of total exhaustion but it only lasted a few seconds and I was able to work through it. When I was done I wasn't starving for food and I had enough energy to come home, take a shower and do some chores (albeit slowly).

I don't want to get into a habit of energy drinks before workouts (lots of extra stress on the liver). I'll do the dextro tablets and gatorade again next time without the energy drink and see if that makes much difference. Caffeine is proven to help endurance though <_<

Alright, so after my research and developed fear of chronic ankle weakness, I have decided that I am going to limit exercise to mild activities for a 4-6 week period until my ankle recovers. I am still going to play badminton but instead of running all over the place, I am am going to move less and rely more on technique and proper footwork.

No Judo and running.

Will continue to play badminton, walk, and swim.

Sigh.

do you think i could use these shoes for running?

im thinking about buying them to try it out

http://www.reebok.com/CA/product?modelId=0...rticleId=J82013

http://www.reebok.com/CA/product?modelId=0...rticleId=J81864

.....are those designed as running shoes or casuals? Sometimes old style running shoes are brought back as "classic" casual footwear. Why leather? That can't breath. They would probably work ok but I would rather buy a more dedicated shoe to crosstraining or running.

Good shoe reviews but mostly only the more expensive stuff ($75+): http://www.runnersworld.com/channel/0,,s6-240-0-0-0,00.html

BMR: 1317-1391

Using the Harris Benedict Equation, (assuming I do light exercises) I get to consume 1810.9 - 1912.6 calories to maintain my weight.

Most of you have been telling me to do weight training to get a better work out so I'll try that out soon or at least add some resistance training.

I still need to get my body composition test done at the university. (grimace) It ought to be enlightening.

I'm walking around like I'm 80 years old. My glutes are sore and here I was saying they never hurt-- obviously I haven't worked them out recently.

Yesterday: Jogged up 3/4 of the hill three times and did 5 jump squats at the top then walked down briskly. On the fourth time, I just walked up the hill as a cool down and did 15 lunges.

Going to gym today. Plan:

- Stationary Bike (2minutes)

- high knees (15 reps)

- Squat jumps (15 reps)

- push ups (20 reps)

- V- crunches (20 reps)

- treadmill (2 minutes)

- bicep extension (10 reps)

- Tricep extension (10 reps)

- sit ups (20 reps)

- squats (30 reps)

- side curls (15 reps each side)

- attempt at pull ups/ dangling... (we don't have a pull up machine here. Either that or I can jump for it and do a negative. I haven't decided what to do.)

- sit ups with medicine ball (20 reps)

- leg lowering (30 reps)

-repeat-

- lunges (20 reps)

- dynamic stretch (10-15 minutes)

- static stretch (5 minutes)

- walk around (2 minutes)