Sign in to follow this  
kuhla

Health & Fitness Thread

If you guys remember the OLD food pyramid....

Posted Image

....and then there was the updated and confusing as hell food pyramid....

Posted Image

....well they finally just updated to something new that actually makes sense and is more accurate to a healthy diet by today's standards....

Posted Image http://www.choosemyplate.gov/

*golf clap* Took you long enough USDA.

Not easy when you have lobby groups for meat and dairy farmers hounding you about making their portions more important.

But they at least are getting somewhere, maybe they'll even stop the epidemic of overweight people... /sarcasm

ice cream = dairy... why is the dairy section so small!?

:fumes:

I'm not helping the case for ridding the blubber epidemic.

New Exercise schedule:

Trail run: Wed and Fridays ~5:45pm

Badminton: Saturday (whenever)

Running around own turf: Sunday evening

OR

Trail Run: Wed ~5:45pm

Running around own turf: Sunday evening

Badminton: Friday and Saturday (after 5:30pm on Fridays and whenever on Saturday)

Starting July

Trail run: Wed and maybe Friday (if no badminton) ~5:45pm

Judo : Tues/Thurs

Running around block: Sunday

I think this is doable-- I wonder when I will burn out.

ice cream = dairy... why is the dairy section so small!?

:fumes:

I'm not helping the case for ridding the blubber epidemic.

I think he meant the grain farmers. That topic was actually discussed at work this past week.

Ice cream helps with blubber creation FYI. I would know. Just in case you ever get stuck in the north pole or something.

rofl. thx.

Aight, I'm running this Wednesday again on the trail. If any of you want to join, just show up. I'm going ~5:45pm.

I'm up for badminton/running or whatever on Friday. As for Saturday-- I'm up for badminton if we're not doing anything in the evening.

I will not be running next week, June 22nd as I have to work on my group project.

Running on Friday instead of Wednesday this week. ~5:45pm

This week's goal is speed. I will be sprinting/walking for the first half (hopefully less walking more sprinting) but at any rate, I need to train for explosive power.

Way off topic:

I will be out of town from June 30th - July 5th. I may be tempted to emulate Oedipus' eye gouging if my eyes are assulted by the likes of Man Faye.

For exercise, I'll probably be running around on the tracks at the hotel. If I do swim, it'll be on day 0 and day 1-- before crazy punks defile the water.

(Yeah, I know they clean the pools and drain the water-- only thing I don't know is when.)

Running on Friday instead of Wednesday this week. ~5:45pm

So on monday I tried some new leg exercises that involved static holds at the bottom of each rep and it killed my legs. I was still sore today before working out from monday's workout. Of course I did the same workout again today. Only makes sense. The point is that if I find myself too sore still on friday there is no way I'm running. I'm going to try to get a little more sleep tonight and tomorrow to try and recuperate.

Ouch. Good luck on that.

I on the other hand will be running ... if I do die on my way over, I'll be sure to fall into the lake and feed my corpse to the fishes. And so continues the circle of life.

(Was looking for a picture for the circle of life... then I stumbled on this, loled, and decided to post it instead.)

Posted Image

Hardly health related. Just silliness.

....if I find myself too sore still on friday there is no way I'm running. I'm going to try to get a little more sleep tonight and tomorrow to try and recuperate.

I didn't sleep more but the soreness did go away. I'm fine today. I'll be running.

How the heck do you recuperate so quickly!? It takes 3-4 days for my soreness to go away. Then again, I ignore sore limbs in hopes that exercise will make me recover faster.

How the heck do you recuperate so quickly!? It takes 3-4 days for my soreness to go away. Then again, I ignore sore limbs in hopes that exercise will make me recover faster.

Some people think a high protein diet (#g protein => lb bodyweight) helps in quicker recovery from DOMS. Not sure if I believe it but being very sore still 48 hours later is kind of rare for me.

Some people think a high protein diet (#g protein => lb bodyweight) helps in quicker recovery from DOMS. Not sure if I believe it but being very sore still 48 hours later is kind of rare for me.

I wish I knew this when my neck was killing me. I was literally praying for an ultimatum-- either heal me or make it swift.

Ren keeps telling me to eat protein before and after I exercise. I'm going to try that today.

Going running tomorrow at 5:45pm if anyone wants to come with, let me know.

For the remainder of the summer my goal is to keep plodding along-- no speed race, no endurance test, just plain and simple perseverance despite the sweltering heat.

Running: Mon, Wed

Judo: Tues, Thurs

Badminton: Saturday Morning

Running today-- 5:50pm. If you want to join, just show up at the trail.

EDIT: since there is no one to run with, I'm going to play badminton. =P

Can't run today-- I twisted my ankle earlier this week but I wrapped it up and just toughed it out. Now it's back to bite me.

Resting it for today to see if it gets any better.

On a more important note, good luck today.

Running at 6pm today.

Did these today for the first time.... with less weight obviously....

Fuuuuu it was hard. Felt good. The hang cleans and rows were the ones holding me back from more weight but I was still pretty gassed after each set.

Also I've been trying to incorporate jump rope into my routine having never done it before in my life. Today was the 4th time doing them. If I'm careful I'll get 20+ before I mess up. Most I've done is 36. Eventually I'd obviously like to get it to where I can do it for 2-5 minutes without stopping. Maybe more. Feels good though. Could definitely be substituted for other types of cardio occasionally. Definitely a motion that I was unaccustomed to before and I can feel it working on my calves and bottom of my foot (Plantaris?).

Horrible diet last week; I felt sluggish and disgusted. This week's diet goal: no candy or nuts and limiting my ice cream intake. I need to work on self-control.

I rarely drink anything other than water, milk, and fruit juices; even the fruit juice is watered down so it's really my diet that is holding me back.

Running has been hard. I don't have the motivation to keep going-- it's not that my sides are burning or that my legs feel like lead, it's just that I don't want to. If my ankle wasn't hurting, I'd say I'm lazy.

Was able to grit my teeth and keep plodding along yesterday so that's fine. Been wearing an ankle brace at home and applying herbal medication so I expect to be back in working order within the next two weeks.

you could substitute real fruit for fruit juice

although its not as bad as soda, fruit juice is still really calorie dense and lacks alot/all of the fiber that you get with real fruit

nuts are good for you, just don't go overboard with it

probably limit ice cream to once a week or so

Be careful on that ankle. If you have an injury you really should only do light work in that joint until it heals otherwise you are just going to make it worse.

you could substitute real fruit for fruit juice

although its not as bad as soda, fruit juice is still really calorie dense and lacks alot/all of the fiber that you get with real fruit

nuts are good for you, just don't go overboard with it

probably limit ice cream to once a week or so

x2 everything ren said. Controlling sugar intake can be important. The fiber in fruit is awfully important for a number of reasons. The other issue with fruit juices is that often they are not sugar from the fruit but added HFCS which I'm not really a fan of. There are few commercial fruit juices I will drink. The vast majority of fruit juice I drink comes from oranges we squeeze at home from our own tree or the farmer's market (when out of season/tree empty). Zero additives.

With regards to my ankle, I know but I can't participate in any other activity other than running and badminton. My left trapezius hurts way more than my ankle so Judo and pushups are out of the question. Exercise is my means of coping with stress so I can't function long without it.

I only said fruit juice because I would occasionally drink apple juice-- by occasionally I mean approximately once every 2 weeks. Even so, I water it down to 1/2 water 1/2 juice because it's often times too sweet for me.

I have to eat more fruits.

I actually slice lemons to drink with my water.