Tactically Inept

Batman Arkham Series

Malaphax

We don't have a thread for this, and although it's probably not the type of game that gets you guys excited, the amount I played of the first game was pretty solid. The story was decent, the gameplay was pretty good, and this game looks like they're trying to really open it up with an open world sandbox area and some new and cool mechanics. It looks fantastic. Just watch the video.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm reading all sorts of anecdotal reports of various performance related issues:

• Framerate is all over the place, in the 90s in some parts, in the low 30s in others.
  • With the right settings, the game can peak over 7GB of memory usage at 1080p.
  • By default it is locked at 30fps but this can be removed with config file tweaks.
  • SLI is completely broken. Nvidia looking into it.
  • Low textures giving worse performance than high textures.

I hope to see some proper testing of this to vet some of these.

I was reading the same issues. I feel like they forgot to push a day 1 patch or something.

The 30fps lock is complete nonsense, this is an Nvidia gameworks title there's no way Nvidia would be ok with a 30fps lock on one of their sponsored games.

The 30fps lock also doesn't apply to the in game benchmark, which is another completely strange occurrence.

I've seen some people complain this game runs like complete garbage on high end hardware, and I've seen other people say they're running just fine on very similar hardware. That being said I've heard anything to do with the batmobile tanks performance super hard.

I'm fairly certain we're going to see some emergency patches for the game itself within the next week or so. The SLI profile being broken is also super weird because the most recent game-ready driver released specifically to help this game seemed to imply that most of the SLI profiles were broken. See the bottom of the post.

I'm seeing a substantial number of people asking for steam returns, and the overall reviews on the steam page are 71% negative. Considering this is on the front page of steam... I have a feeling the developers are in serious panic mode right now.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/208650/

EDIT:

Some acknowledgement from the devs:

http://community.wbgames.com/t5/Support-for-PC/PC-Performance-issues-we-hear-you/m-p/571341#U571341

On one hand I feel bad for pre-purchasing this game since it seems to have launched in a broken state, on the other hand this is becoming so common even amongst big titles that there's no way of knowing. I guess I'll start riding that "never preorder" bandwagon now...

This is straight from nvidia release notes for the current drivers regarding "known issues":

•[sLI, Batman: Arkham Knights] With a 4K display, a TDR occurs after the in-game resolution is toggled and the application is exited. [200116725]
•[sLI, Batman: Arkham Knights] Heavy flickering occurs in game after Alt+Tab if SLI is enabled. [200116723]
•[sLI, Batman: Arkham Knights] Severe stuttering seen, especially in indoor scenes, when the game is running at 4K resolution and NVIDIA Gameworks settings are turned on. [200116722]
•[sLI, Batman: Arkham Knights] Random flickering occurs in the game if SLI is enabled. [200116717]
•[GM206, SLI, Batman: Arkham Knights] Stuttering occurs and performance drops after shadow quality settings are toggled. [200116694]
•[GK180, SLI, Batman: Arkham Knights] When SLI is enabled, a crash points to ntdll.dll shortly after the game is exited. [200116717]

Source: http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/353.30/353.30-win8-win7-winvista-desktop-release-notes.pdf

So some more bugs and more announcements.

The game defaults to DX10 when you enable any gameworks effects (nvidia smoke/debris etc.)

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/report-batman-arkham-knight-uses-directx-10-when-nvidia-gameworks-are-activated/

Also we're missing various effects that are present in the ps4 version of the game:

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/batman-arkham-knight-pc-version-lacks-modern-graphical-effects-ao-bokeh-dof-rain-textures/

That's not just an oversight but a huge fuckup if that's true. Once again I'm really confused how this all went down. Also the newest nvidia experience update basically suggested I run this game on low for everything, oh boy...

Green Man Gaming is offering refunds if the patch does not fix any issues. This is a very interesting style of refund, and the fact that it's tied to a patch is strange, but at the same time reasonable. Most people who bought this directly through steam seem to be using steam's new refund policy.

http://blog.playfire.com/2015/06/batman-arkham-knight-pc-guidelines.html

I haven't launched this game yet, and while I have still seen the occasional report of someone getting decent frame-rates and having a good time it seems to be outweighed by the vast majority of people that either can't play this game on decent hardware or are jumping through hoops to try and get it to work. I'm going to just wait until a patch hits and if there are still major problems I'll just take the GMG return. No point in trying to play this right now.