Tactically Inept

Games and Gaming News

Malaphax

Dustforce is hard. I really think this game is fantastic, but if you thought super meat boy was hard you may think this is a bit obnoxious. With super meat boy you had to complete the entire level in 1 attempt, however you could save yourself from death as many times as possible and there was no real time limit for any level, nor were there any set paths (certain characters could and would use different paths).

Dustforce requires you to get S S to beat the level, the first S is for getting all the dust (using a set path basically) and the second is for beating the level in one run/combo. There's a very good reason why they have a fast restart button...

The music is great, the levels are fun and challenging (even more so with some of them). Each character has rather unique style/attributes. For example the grandpa with the vacuum is very floaty and has higher/longer jumps than the base guy with a broom, and the girl with the 2 dusters can triple jump. I'm very happy with the purchase, I plan on slowly grinding away at this game.

IN OTHER NEWS

Kingdoms of amalur has a demo on steam. I tried it out briefly, my basic thoughts are:

The combat is very button mashable, to be fair, you unlock different combos as you level, but currently it seems very much like 1 button combat and the only variance is when you use a secondary weapon or magic, mid combo. The movement and fighting system is very basic, but it's still quite good. I personally think the withcher 2 has better combat, but I really enjoyed their combat so this is pretty decent in comparison.

The art style is very simplified, I don't want to say it's in the same style as wow, but it sort of is. The armor/weapons are actually rather detailed and most of the mobs are well modeled and animated. But I don't expect this to be nominated for graphical prowess.

RPG mechanics are actually rather simple. You have 3 skill trees, which are all rather basic (I have a feeling these are the final trees for the game, but holy shit they're not that exciting). Very few abilities stand out as being really awesome or interesting. You also have a set of attributes similar to fallout's SPECIAL system which control your stealth/speach/magic/blacksmithing etc... These look incredibly uninspiring and basically act as a slow progression system you fill up.

I'm actually rather disappointed. I had this game on my list to watch, mostly because it looked like it was coming out during drought season, but also because it seemed pretty decent. Now, I'm not so excited. I may just yarr harr this and if I find out later it's decent, grab it on sale.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Here's yet another very good looking korean mmo destined to come out sometime in the next decade. I warn you this trailer shows very little combat, it's mostly engine and story. Still looks pretty good.

Here's some blade and soul assassin and swordmaster beta footage.

Korean MMO is a category unto itself at this point.... but that name .... epicus incognitus.... lol....

• 1 month later...

Yea, just like original tribes you can hit various keys to provide different voiced over soundsets. So VSAF is "I'll go for the enemy flag"

The trailer is referencing the dead island trailer that's in reverse (with the little girl zombie). Also llama-ing is a tribes reference to people who cap when going at very slow speeds, like running speeds. You actually get a medal when you llama cap, and likewise you get a different medal for hitting a certain speed. If you llama the flag, people get super pissed, because often someone is lining up a long and fast run to go after the flag.

.....or thoughts on games that we don't really want to start a thread for.

It's on the verge of impossible to avoid ME3 rumors when just about every forum and news site keeps going on and on about disgruntled fans regarding something being wrong with the ending.

Having played and beaten the game, it's pretty fucking trash. If you want to see some serious developer laziness... MASSIVE FUCKING SPOILER WARNING HOLY SHIT HERE IT COMES

These are the various ending cinematics side by side, remember kids reduce reuse recycle

• 1 month later...

http://www.gamespot.com/the-secret-world/v...-video-6376432/

I know this game has been relatively off my radar for a while now, but I do want to make mention of a few things about it. It reminds me very much of gw1. The idea of builds and templates for builds as well as complete customization and no level system (you play 90% of the content at 20 in gw1). Then it falls apart really hard, the treadmill style gear system, and the basic heal/dps/tank archetypes. I feel as though gw2 broke certain constraints wide open, and the secret world also did so, but in a different direction. Also I do admit the graphics fall in this weird niche of being high detail while still looking bland, I suppose it is built on the same engine as conan, so that's to be expected. I have a certain respect for funcom, but not enough to consider buying this game.

• 2 weeks later...

So I've been looking into torchlight 2 for a while now. It's very similar to a diablo style dungeon crawler, and most people have been mentioning it's pretty fun to play. It's also only $20. Steam sells a 4 pack for $60, if you guys are interested let me know. It releases this summer, probably in the next month or so.

I was browsing around and found out that CD Projekt was working on another game. They had a stream and they talked a bit about it. They'll be working on that for a while, my bet is it will release after witcher 3.

CYBERPUNK based off the the pen and paper system http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberpunk_2020

Some related information:

source- http://kotaku.com/5914314/the-witcher-crea...le+playing-game

At today's special Summer Conference event, The Witcher developer CD Projekt revealed that their next big role-playing game is an official game based on the Cyberpunk pen-and-paper role-playing system.

It's being built by a second CDP Red team made up of Witcher veterans and will focus on letting players create their own characters to navigate through a futuristic world's decadent society with ultra-modern tech and morally ambiguous choice. A full line-up of classes aren't being revealed yet by the dev studio, but here's how they're describing the upcoming title:

Players will experience the world through their own, unique characters chosen from different classes ? be they blood-thirsty mercenaries or cunning hackers ? that they will equip with vast selection of cybernetic implants and deadly weapons. As in the Witcher series, players will face morally ambiguous choices, their actions influencing events in the world at large and the fate of the individuals they encounter.

We'll have more on Cyberpunk as news becomes available.

So I've been looking into torchlight 2 for a while now. It's very similar to a diablo style dungeon crawler, and most people have been mentioning it's pretty fun to play. It's also only $20. Steam sells a 4 pack for $60, if you guys are interested let me know. It releases this summer, probably in the next month or so.

I went ahead and purchased the 4pack, I also have 3 extra copies of torchlight 1, it's 840mb and will give you a basic idea of the game and how it will play out in the second one. If you want torchlight 2 from me let me know it's $15 per person.

• 4 weeks later...

Register for the Beta at www.playwarframe.com

Digital Extremes debuts the free-to-play, third-person shooter WARFRAME, with a stopped-in-mid-action diorama. This first video highlights everything we love about WARFRAME -- Space, Shooting, Swords & Suits! Reserve your Alias today for the Closed Beta coming this fall.

Neat art style I guess but other than that, I don't know a single thing about it.

I really respect funcom for taking rather large steps towards innovation in their games. I also respect them for pushing out games that are on the high side graphically. There is a small part of me that hopes the secret world ends up doing well. It just hasn't really caught my interest, and the gameplay I've seen has been somewhat unique and somewhat old and copy pasted mechanics. I also have the feeling that this will be EA's second mmo that dies within 6 months.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished Bastion the other day. Decent game. Without the narration and especially the music I think the game would have been much worse as a whole. The combat was very repetitive and although there was a good range of unique weapons, I found most of them pretty useless and stuck to one set for almost the entire game. The art/style/levels were nice but not enough to have been able to hold the game up as a whole. I spent about 9 hours on it. If it comes up on sale and you are half way curious then it's a legit buy.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...