Games and Gaming News

Malaphax

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks pretty interesting. Plus it gets the standard allotment of bonus points for bear futuristic and not modern day/fantasy.

skepticalhippo.jpg

Can you just re-do memory re-writes as many times as you want until you get it right? .....they just going to babystep you through the whole thing (you wouldn't take the SAFETY OFF YOUR GUN A HURR) I hope. Why do the acrobatics when the main event at the end is basically a point-n-click cinamatic.

Reserving judgement until I see more gameplay videos.

I would argue that assassins creed is somewhat worse in certain ways. Often there are very obvious paths for assassination, and if you don't want to you can theoretically just roll in and slice and dice everything including the target. As far as the redo memories part is partially because it takes multiple actions. He needed the bottle and the gun to complete it. I wonder if you could also combine other actions, like turning off the mirror and the gun for example. I imagine that this was a simple one because it's showing off the basics of the game. I'm sure there are going to be obvious paths but what I'm curious about is if there are less obvious paths that involve other circumstances, for example instead of writing his memory that he killed her, writing his memory that he drove her to suicide. It's a year away we'll see if it ends up being anything interesting or not.

• 2 weeks later...

These are some of the major cities from the cancelled mmo copernicus that 38 studios was working on. I have to admit, they weren't just sitting and twiddling their thumbs. Some of this looks pretty good. Part of me hopes someone will buy the IP and just sink the money to finish the mmo, it would be a shame to lose all of their assets due to outside fiscal issues.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks pretty interesting. Plus it gets the standard allotment of bonus points for bear futuristic and not modern day/fantasy.

Can you just re-do memory re-writes as many times as you want until you get it right? .....they just going to babystep you through the whole thing (you wouldn't take the SAFETY OFF YOUR GUN A HURR) I hope. Why do the acrobatics when the main event at the end is basically a point-n-click cinamatic.

Reserving judgement until I see more gameplay videos.

I would argue that assassins creed is somewhat worse in certain ways. Often there are very obvious paths for assassination, and if you don't want to you can theoretically just roll in and slice and dice everything including the target. As far as the redo memories part is partially because it takes multiple actions. He needed the bottle and the gun to complete it. I wonder if you could also combine other actions, like turning off the mirror and the gun for example. I imagine that this was a simple one because it's showing off the basics of the game. I'm sure there are going to be obvious paths but what I'm curious about is if there are less obvious paths that involve other circumstances, for example instead of writing his memory that he killed her, writing his memory that he drove her to suicide. It's a year away we'll see if it ends up being anything interesting or not.

A new gameplay video from this.

Very linear. Lots of cinematics. Pretty, but I think that is about the only compliment I think I could give it right now, not that it's a weightless point.

• 2 months later...

So I fire up steam and get hit with a bunch of new game announcements and was actually found some of them not so terrible looking.....

Forge - http://store.steampowered.com/app/223390/ - I saw a video for this a while back while it was still in beta I think and I remember wondering wtf I was looking at.

Afterfall Insanity - http://store.steampowered.com/app/224420/ - Seems a lot like Metro 2033.

• 2 months later...

more info - http://www.anandtech.com/show/6736/nvidias-new-f2p-bundle-the-first-hit-is-free

Instead of bundling a game with new cards, nvidia is offering in-game currency for some free to play titles when purchasing a new graphics card. Kind of a neat idea. Reminds me that I need to install Hawken and give that a shot.... and Mechwarrior too....

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/02/14/ghost-in-the-shell-mmo-shooter-due-next-year/

An MMOFPS based on the Ghost in the Shell Standalone Complex anime is due out in “the first half of 2014.” It’ll feature “fierce hacking battles between cyborgs fighting over strategic resources” and “a new concept that integrates artificial intelligence with the player”

Nfj8zFX.gif

New Bungie Game. They're making an "mmo-like" fps. It looks similar to a vidictus style, where there seem to be missions or mission hubs but it's not going to be a billion people roaming around an open world. I still have huge respect for bungie and I hope their game does well. I also hope they decide to release this for the PC. Right now it's only going to release for ps3 and xbox360 which might limit the technology they can use, especially with new consoles coming out within the next year or so.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/02/17/destiny-in-the-stars-exploring-bungies-10-year-plan/

Hmmm. Most info we have gotten in a while. My jury is still out. The settings sounds nice but I would like to hear and see a bit more.

I would like to see something a bit more MMO+RPG than Planetside that is still is an FPS at heart.

The concept art is cool. Best quality I've found - http://ncloud.blogspot.com/2013/02/bungies-destiny-high-res-concept-arts.html a lot of it is 1920x1200 and up

Regarding the GitS MMO. Very worried they will screw it up. I would probably rather they don't mess with that universe and leave it in the mediums it already exists in.

The GITS mmo will have a couple of things worth noting. The company making it is chinese, the same company that made dungeon fighter (which is super shitty looking). That being said it's very popular, this looks to be their entrance into a much more ambitious project. Also it won't be out for another 1.5 years. So knowing how asian companies release games, we'll see the "beta" release in asia around then and after about 6 months of updates that make the game playable, there will be a translated version that comes to the states.

Destiny looks pretty cool. I do think it's going to be far more shooter style than it is mmo. In fact I do wonder how well that will work. Mostly because it seems to be very pve oriented, and without a gear treadmill there will need to be quite a bit more content to keep players happy. I have quite a bit of faith in bungie, and I like their art style, so I hope they make the best of it. Also while they mentioned originally it will be console based, they went back on that and said PC is a possibility. I have a feeling that will be a managerial decision more than a design decision, if they think they can make money on a PC version they'll do it.

On a side note, a game like Playstation All Stars is one of the few games that actually works cross platform completely (the PS vita and PS3). I do wonder if at some point the devices on which we play will be capable of handling more cross platform games, most games are made for both console systems so why not bring a port across all major system and allow people to play on any system they want. I hope the next generation of consoles makes this more of a reality, because I do believe this would make a very strong marketing tool and would allow for more control of the customers.

I do wonder if at some point the devices on which we play will be capable of handling more cross platform games, most games are made for both console systems so why not bring a port across all major system and allow people to play on any system they want. I hope the next generation of consoles makes this more of a reality, because I do believe this would make a very strong marketing tool and would allow for more control of the customers.

There are zero technical limitations preventing cross-platform multiplayer. This has been the case for quite a few years now. The reasons we aren't seeing it is because of severe balance issues and licensing. I don't think we will see any cross platform multiplayer until consoles get mice and keyboards.

There are zero technical limitations preventing cross-platform multiplayer. This has been the case for quite a few years now. The reasons we aren't seeing it is because of severe balance issues and licensing. I don't think we will see any cross platform multiplayer until consoles get mice and keyboards.

few games on ps3 supports mouse and keyboard. unless im missing something.

the cs go on ps3 supports mouse and keyboard. i can even browse internet on ps3 with mouse and keyboard.

• 3 weeks later...

Interview with CD Projekt about The Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk 2077. The short points are:

Witcher 3 -

More open world, lots of choices (not interacting with people is a choice) 50 hours main campaign another 50 side missions. Main storyline is more about Geralt and the Wild Hunt, the other issues regarding the war between the north and south is still present as well. Improved combat and monster bounties.

Cyberpunk 2077 -

Open world, braindance, cyberspace, and more will be featured. Sanity system for overdosing on implants will be present (possibly to limit player power, or represent different skill trees). Also they're working on a new renderer for both Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk 2077. Considering their marked improvement between Witcher 1 and 2 for graphics fidelity I cannot wait. I honestly think cdproject is the only other company doing any serious with their own engine besides the big boys (cryengine, unreal, source).

http://gamersaurs.com/index.php/article/item/663-developer-spotlight-of-witchers-and-cyberpunks

Here's another interview regarding The Witcher 3:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/03/06/cdp-on-role-of-combat-sex-and-choice-in-witcher-3/

I will preorder Witcher 3 the day it becomes available, I might do the same for cyberpunk depending on how good the witcher 3 is. I really respect cdprojekt and I am hopeful that they can produce another great couple of games. I believe they're one of the few developers I am willing to pretty much blindly preorder from. Now if only I could buy one of the wolf's head medallions I would be set... maybe someone has a good 3d model and I can order it printed...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you guys are even remotely interested in indie game revenues (specifically from dustforce). I really recommend this article, it breaks it down very well. It's interesting to see how it all turned out for those guys and I really hope they make another game and see even more success.

humble-bundle.png

ttp://hitboxteam.com/dustforce-sales-figures