Games and Gaming News

Malaphax

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think I've posted about this previously. It's much closer to release now, and this video will give you a decent look at just how vast this particular game is aiming to be. Think battlefield in space but with a much larger scale.

I'm posting this, not because I plan on playing/installing fallout 4 or any mods, but because I really like their trailer.

I currently have a list of games that I'm interested in and waiting to buy/play:

Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns (October 23)

Star Wars: Battlefront (November 7) - Beta on October 8-11

Fallout 4 (November 10)

This year looks like a damn good year. Too bad I'm busy as hell.

Black Desert is bringing an alpha test to US/EU servers "soon"

It's a cool looking game with some big concepts but I assume it will end up with similar issues to other Korean mmos.

Between this and Blade & Soul coming "soon" people who are looking for some mmo's to sink time into will have plenty of options.

http://black-desert.com/news/announcing-the-european-and-north-american-alpha-test/

Blizzards new game: Overwatch is starting their closed beta on October 27. It will be a limited number of players, they mentioned that they'll also do beta stress test weekends from time to time which will send out invites to a much larger number of players.

http://us.battle.net/overwatch/en/blog/19919176/overwatch-beta-coming-soon-10-14-2015

Stream Controllers have been showing up for people that pre-ordered several months ago. The general consensus is that it's a solid controller and it does perform pretty well but it will take some time to get used to.

Also a bit of a surprise but valve opted not to ship very many controller profiles, so they're trying to farm that out to the early adopter community. I'll probably pick one up when they officially launch in a month or so. Additionally you can use it as a windows control device, but if you want to use it on steam you have to launch big picture mode.

This is an in depth video talking about how Halo 5 uses dynamic resolution/shadows/texture quality to achieve solid 60fps on console. It's a pretty impressive way of handling their hardware constraints. The shadows and pop-in might look a bit ugly but I imagine the fluid motion more than makes up for it.

I guess Sony is having an event right now? Something to do with the Paris Game show I guess.

Video for the next game from Quantic Dream - the devs behind Heavy Rain, Beyond Two Souls

So basically expect a visual novel with a bunch of quick time events that looks very pretty.

Tekken 7:

Gran Turismo Sport:

Ratchet and Clank (Remake):

Robinson: The Journey - Something from Crytek?

Too many goddam videos I don't have time for all this...

This is an in depth video talking about how Halo 5 uses dynamic resolution/shadows/texture quality to achieve solid 60fps on console. It's a pretty impressive way of handling their hardware constraints. The shadows and pop-in might look a bit ugly but I imagine the fluid motion more than makes up for it.

Wow. Above and beyond any other thoughts and feelings that video left me impressed. The sheer number of "moving parts" in that balancing act is more than I would expect from many other developers.

I watched a streamer playing Overwatch this morning before work.

So far there's no indication of any free to play elements. There were no alternative costumes or hats or unlocks. In fact, last time I checked, Blizzard has not announced if the game will be buy to play or free to play.

The gameplay looks really solid, and the art design is very clean like TF2. I know it's a running joke, but this game is basically a better/updated version of TF2. The payload and capture point modes are very similar and easy to understand, and even most characters/abilities are simple enough that just seeing them in action a few times is enough to understand them.

You also can switch between characters when dead, which allows for some decent counterplay.

I'm personally really hyped for Overwatch. Blizzard is finally developing a new IP (how long has it been 17 years?) and they're bringing their high quality to the FPS genre.

Honestly I feel like the Halo games have done a better job with handling their multiplayer offerings. Halo 5 includes map making, offers all map packs for free (to avoid player segmentation) and even allows players to earn most of the cosmetic offerings. I feel like map packs should be made available to the community and that you should find other ways to monetize your DLC. I think this is one of the reason why recent Battlefield games struggle with segmentation; when you see some servers running stock maps only and others running weird mixes and matches of old and new content. I'm sure they could find other things to monetize like the added weapons or different camouflage patterns and soldier looks.

So Fallout 4 and Starcraft II: Legacy of the Void both launched today.

I've been hearing about some issues with Fallout 4 (it's a Bethesda game, it comes with the territory). But we're starting to see some really dumb stuff left in the PC version. Aside from the usual mouse acceleration, they also dropped the FoV to 70 and default the vertical scroll speed at 50% of the horizontal scroll speed. What's worse is we're getting stuff like the Framerate being tied to the game speed, that's... bad. Here's a nice video showing the 20-30% increase in speed at 144hz and the 100% speed increase at 250hz. I know some games don't fully support higher refresh rates, but this looks sloppy. Some of these issues seem to be a carryover from previous Bethesda games.

Most games/engines that have had this problem have tried workarounds by imposing strict framerate caps (MGSV comes to mind), which isn't really a great solution either. I find it rather hard to believe that developers still don't understand why connecting framerate and game speed/physics is such a terrible idea.

Even worse is that I'm hearing the PS4 and XBONE versions have huge issues as well. I've heard using scopes tanks the framerate to 15 or lower.

I sincerely wonder if this wasn't Bethesda if the gaming community would be tearing the developers a new asshole like what they did with Assassin's Creed Unity or even Batman Arkham Knight.