Games and Gaming News

Malaphax

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Minor update in the saga of various digital storefronts. 

Ubisoft is launching The Division 2 only on Uplay and the Epic Store.  They're ditching steam. 
Personally this is dumb on multiple levels, but the biggest reason being that you still need the Uplay launcher to play any modern Ubisoft release so Epic is just another storefront for them (with presumably a better revenue split). 
Additionally, I want to make mention that the Epic store does not have proper refunds set up, no reviews or forums and generally feels very cut down compared to steam.  I'm not saying steam is perfect but it does seem like Epic is one of the least capable storefronts/launchers - the only one I'd consider worse is probably... Uplay.  I actually have some decent respect for EA's Origin, I've had very few issues with it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a large thread talking about the issues people are having on PC playing anthem's demo. 
https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheGame/comments/ak0g9g/no_spoilers_the_pc_version_is_an_afterthought/

I've read (and possibly experienced) that the flight controls in the alpha were utter trash - there was some ultra weird acceleration going on that made precise flight impossible. 

I still maintain that I'm not going to buy any multiplayer focused games in the first month of release.  I've seen too many issues from nearly every developer, and most people seem to find out just how deep/shallow the content is within the first month.  I suspect Anthem is going to have a rough launch and they'll slowly fix the game and make it better.  I suspect Division 2 might suffer from the same.

In the latest of Steam vs Epic we get to experience some truly anti-consumer tactics. 

Metro Exodus will release "solely" on the Epic Games Store when it launches on February 15, Epic and publisher Deep Silver have revealed today.

From Steam:

"Later today, sales of Metro Exodus will be discontinued on Steam due to a publisher decision to make the game exclusive to another PC store. The developer and publisher have assured us that all prior sales of the game on Steam will be fulfilled on Steam, and Steam owners will be able to access the game and any future updates or DLC through Steam. We think the decision to remove the game is unfair to Steam customers, especially after a long pre-sale period. We apologize to Steam customers that were expecting it to be available for sale through the February 15th release date, but we were only recently informed of the decision and given limited time to let everyone know."

https://www.pcgamer.com/metro-exodus-will-only-release-on-the-epic-store-but-steam-preorders-will-be-honoured/

This happens to be a game I'm seriously looking forward to.  While I haven't been actively avoiding the Epic store, I've been cautious as I've seen many posts detailing how it's not as feature filled as other digital marketplaces. 
I'm sure this was done because the publisher didn't want to pay Steam the higher percentage split - and I'm also sure Epic is giving out some real sweetheart deals in order to snap up market share.  Normally as a consumer I'd say a race to the bottom is good, but in this case Epic/Steam are cutting their own margins and are going to be less likely to spend their reduced margins on customer support or new features.
While all of the exclusivity that I've seen has been timed (even Metro: Exodus will be available on steam in February 15 2020) this still leaves a nasty taste in my mouth - I dislike how heavy handed Epic is pushing for exclusives and I absolutely loath Deep Silver (the publisher) for pulling this move 2 weeks before the launch date. 

I'm by no means a cheerleader for EA or Anthem, but I give them respect for calling it a Demo.  The game is already gold, it releases in 3 weeks at this point it's a demo, the only thing you're testing is server capacity (and that didn't go so well). 
The infamous "pre-order for beta" has been going around for a long time.  I recall it being the case all the way back with bad company 2 (back in 2010).  Also, considering most of these "betas" are generally less than a month before launch, I have a hard time respecting that term.  It's clearly an attempt to get the most positive press coverage possible, and people who have already dropped $60+ on a game are far more likely to rationalize that purchase or talk about the good stuff. 

While my genuine dislike for early access is another issue, at least those games are more representative of alpha/beta stages in game development. 

Sidenote: I feel bad for people with mediocre internet.  I've heard most day 1 patches on console/pc are gigantic, and it must be a huge disappointment to put in a new game disk and realize you're just going to leave your console running for the next several hours while it downloads and installs.  Even worse, I'm hearing some games are just including a copy of the installer on the game disk and force people to download all the game content. 

Played a few matches with Tino and Brian last night, we even won a match.  I'm still not a big fan of battle royale, and I'm absolute garbage at this type of game - but the game itself is very solid. 

They worked closely with some very large streamers like Shroud when they were fine tuning the game and I think plenty of the minor things show substantially more polish because of it.  Stuff like dropping as a group, pinging everything, or the general snappiness of looting and movement. 

I don't know how much stock I put in this but supposedly one of the streamers that worked with the devs mentioned that they have the ability to turn on different modifiers including wall-running or double jumping.  I imagine since this is heavily built off of titanfall 2 that wouldn't be very hard.  In fact the character models all have the pilot jump kits on their back. 
I'm already seeing articles talking about how many unique players they've had (1 million in first 8 hours) and I think this might be a decent entry into the battle royale space.  I don't think it's going to dethrone fortnite, but I do think it's going to take a decent chunk of pubg and blackout players. 

Anthem is a pile of hot garbage *shocked pikachu face*
Here's a reddit thread that goes over just how bad the game is, why the handful of hours we spent in the demo is the entire content of the game and why anyone with any sense should avoid this thing like the plague. 
https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/arsyzf/anthems_questionable_gameplay_one_week_before/

F

damn it i want to love it but i dont like how this is the norm now. i know content will roll in later but it should not be like this. this is not a new either.

i think diablo 2 and 3 got it right. the balance between repetitive, endgame loot with multiple variations of skills item and activity. why is this so hard to figure it out. been a successful formula since diablo 2.

the only explanations i can think of they only have time for what we got now. 

the fact that players grilled destiny 2 and the division for lack of content during launch and proceed with what they got now is straight up dumb.

im more excited for division 2 now.

ib4 bioware split with EA

I don't think Bioware is going to split, I do think that Bioware is going to see layoffs.  Technically there are multiple divisions in Bioware, one of which is the "main" division and responsible for anthem, and another was responsible for Mass Effect: Andromeda.  The other thing to keep in mind is that many developers farm out sections/segments of the games - Battlefront 2 (2017) is famous for having 3+ developers work on various parts (vehicles, singleplayer, multiplayer).  My understand is towards the end of Anthem's development they had every part of Bioware working on it. 

Bioware has already mentioned they're working on another Dragon Age game, and hopefully that builds off of inquisition (I really liked inquisition despite some issues).  They've announce Mass Effect is dead (for now), and Anthem is the big deal for the studio. 

The only saving grace is EA recently released Apex and has a new golden child to offset the seeming disappointment of Anthem.

From what I've seen Ubisoft did a much better job with the Division 2, partly because they saw what they screwed up in their first release and built off of that.  Oddly enough most developers struggle to learn from the mistakes of different companies. 

I don't like to doomsay, but I think the games industry is in a bubble and we're going to see a correction.  Between the growing anti-lootbox sentiment (and EU government regulation) combined with a really nasty second half of 2018 for both EA and ATVI we might see a shift towards more developers working with private publishers. 

Sidenote:

There's also this article talking about how games are no longer competing for simply your "gaming free time" but actively having to compete for your total free time, including against netflix, news, and other things.
https://www.midiaresearch.com/blog/major-games-publishers-are-feeling-the-impact-of-peaking-attention/

• 2 weeks later...