Games and Gaming News

Malaphax

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm by no means a big fan of Epic's recent tactics involving paying out their piles of forenite cash to get developers to give them platform exclusivity.  But I was willing to give them the same level of deference I've given other digital storefronts.

Unfortunately between refunds being an issue, no user reviews, MAJOR issues like no email confirmation for their accounts - well they just went full Sony rootkit:
https://metacouncil.com/threads/epic-game-store-spyware-tracking-and-you.766/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/b1633a/epic_games_launcher_seems_to_be_collecting_your/

They're scraping info from your PC, specifically your steam account data that's locally stored and sending it back to developers/publishers that are using the Epic platform. 

As some people mention, this basically breaks a ton of laws in the EU, UK and even the relatively lax US laws.  This also means that while I was initially willing to give them some time to improve their storefront and fix some of the issues (the security issues being the only deal breaker) now I'm in full fuck all that mode, when it comes to Epic.  This is a goddamn mess. 

Sidenote: While I'm not a huge fan of either Origin or Battle.net I don't really have any issues with either launcher.  As storefronts they're mediocre, but EA's customer service has been decent the few times I've used it.  Steam still has plenty of issues, but it's surprising that someone with enough money as Epic/Tencent didn't decide to go the Instagram route and just copy their competitor (especially since they're using the Facebook tactic of selling customer data). 

Double posting

Epic is basically in full PR panic mode right now with the head of Epic Games saying "we're working on fixing this" because they got caught scanning your PC for Steam info. 

Valve also responded saying "these files aren't intended to be scraped, we're not particularly happy about this." 

Overall this is a goddamn clown fiesta, I understand what Epic was doing, but stuff like this is enough to get a serious fine from the EU (the US won't do shit) and I suspect a few users will actively try to jerk Epic around for this (as they should). 

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/epic-promises-to-fix-game-launcher-after-privacy-concerns/

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-outer-worlds-and-control-will-launch-on-the-epic-store-not-steam/

Epic is just buying out everyone and anyone that isn't EA or Activision to release games with a 1 year exclusivity on their storefront. 
Again, my issue initially was that the Epic store isn't fully fleshed out (they're working on it) but it's quickly morphing into "their security is trash, and the store is scraping your computer's data" which is another set of issues entirely. 

I sincerely hope Epic actually fixes their issues, but I firmly suspect that will take substantially more time than they're currently estimating. 

gah this is so lame i was excited for steam so that i dont need multiple game manager for all my games. now every godamn publisher want their own and they start buying exclusivity with the games. and its prob not going to stop here. and each of them have their own chat. soo now i have 5 different chat client on top of hangout mumble and discord lol

i got 

origin

uplay

steam

battlenet

uplay

Realizing that the bethesda launcher is an even bigger pile of flaming garbage than the epic game store - Bethesda decides steam is a platform they still want to release on.

Also here's a very early alpha build of a small team building a combat focused MMO.  It has some Guild Wars 2 vibes to it (which is good) but the chibi artstyle ruins a bit of it.  I'm just glad to see more people focusing on proper combat for MMO games.

I'm not sure I like this trailer's music choice. 

Also Borderlands 3 is being teased, the trailer doesn't show anything interesting but I'll leave a link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjXIh--0WQM&feature=youtu.be

Also Battlefront 2 basically added titan mode.  Just a note it's 20v20 humans but they added in 12 AI players to each side, that's kinda neat.