Games and Gaming News

Warhammer 40k Darktide is literally vermintide with 40k paint.  It's from the same developers and I heavily suspect its running on the same engine/code.  Vermintide was a fun coop experience but I'd wait for reviews, also since vermintide was predominantly melee combat with some ranged, I'm curious how they'll handle darktide and if full ranged is going to be an option - seems weird to think a guardsmen using a sword instead of their standard issue flashlight. 

I posted the Dragon Age / Mass Effect stuff because it's newsworthy.  But I wouldn't hold out hope.  Some of the big names recently all left the studio (one of them left for a second time) and people suspect that the new Dragon Age game is in serious trouble.  At this point it's hard to argue that Bioware has the developer pedigree it once had, so anything they release I would wait for reviews.  I do think it's hilarious that they're showing Liara, because that probably means we're going back to Shepard (or at least that timeline) and also makes me laugh how they completely dumped andromeda. 
Andromeda's story and writing were trash, but the gameplay was actually pretty good.

I simply do not trust korean or chinese MMOs.  Their market is so substantially different from ours, and most of the time the english releases are 6 months behind.  I briefly looked at the game Genshin Impact and some of the grind/lootbox garbage in that game reminded me of Boiling Balur hearts in Aion - stupid levels of grind combined with abysmal RNG rates all needed to level up and progress.  And that's before we considering some of the dumpster fire monetization those games have. 

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 981
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lucasfilm resurrected their games division - kind of.  Previously they had given EA exclusivity on Star Wars games but that's gone now. 

They're working with ubisoft to create an open world star wars game - I have mixed feelings on ubisoft open world games

https://www.ign.com/articles/star-wars-game-ubisoft-open-world-story-the-division-massive

That's not to say there won't be any more EA star wars games.  My understanding is that Jedi: Fallen Order sold well and Respawn is currently developing a sequel.  We might also see another EA star wars game depending on if it was already in development before this announcement.  I'm still sorta mad they cancelled the bounty hunter game - project ragtag.  I would just like to see some star wars content that isn't limited to "jedi power fantasy."

This is basically an updated version of Shattered Horizon, which I own and played a little bit.  I recall being somewhat frustrated because we're not really trained to think or predict in 3 dimensions and sometimes when people were moving in different planes and different directions, trying to track them was almost impossible. 

On 1/15/2021 at 8:48 AM, Malaphax said:

This is basically an updated version of Shattered Horizon, which I own and played a little bit.  I recall being somewhat frustrated because we're not really trained to think or predict in 3 dimensions and sometimes when people were moving in different planes and different directions, trying to track them was almost impossible. 

Shattered Horizon was basically the first thought I had when I saw the YouTube thumbnail... I remember I had some fun with that back back with my Radeon 5800 HD.

Fresh rumor-mill stuff: New KOTOR game coming and it's not being developed by bioware or EA.  Supposedly an unknown studio is making it. 

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/a-new-knights-of-the-old-republic-is-reportedly-in-development-outside-of-ea/

I never played the KOTOR games but I've always seen very high praise for them, I'm curious if they'll be able to live up to the legacy of those games.  Supposedly Baldur's gate 3 is living up to the legacy of it's predecessors. 

I played some devil may cry 5 and even streamed some of it.  I enjoy a nice mindless hack and slash game every once in a while.  My only complaint is that there are so many cutscenes that break up the flow of the game it actually gets tedious.  Move into room - cutscene showing the room is locked and enemies spawning in - clear room - cutscene that shows you can move on - move down hallway for 30 seconds and enter a new room - cutscene again.  Sidenote, this game doesn't officially support ultrawide resolutions, I had to use a mod/patch for that.  Also it doesn't provide an option to disable HDR and it starts the game with it on every time, so I have to alt tab which breaks the HDR and then tab back into the game - seems to run well though.