Games and Gaming News

Malaphax

I saw some mixed reviews.  The moment to moment gameplay is decent, but there's still plenty of jank, especially from the audio, and some of the loot systems feel very half baked.  I'll see if they fix it with patches or if they just abandon it.

Here's a good review of the game:

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think the STALKER series was always at its best when the gameplay was emergent rather than structured. 
This review of a modded STALKER game describes what I mean. 

Honestly I have no hope for the STALKER series because I expect it's going to over promise and under deliver, there are several eastern european devs that seem to desperately try and capture that same magic that STALKER and Metro 2033 had, with limited success - see Atomic Heart and Chernobylite as recent examples that I suspect won't live up to the hype. 

Overall, what I've seen of E3 so far has been mildly disappointing.  You can still see the specter of the pandemic, with a bunch of titles aiming for 2022 rather than try for sometime this year.  Not to mention I was seeing more cinematic trailers than gameplay walkthroughs.  I think the fact that we're in the middle of a new console cycle, with serious supply constraints, means that devs still need to port games back to the older console generation.  All that combined with the pandemic has made for a rough time for devs. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/16/2020 at 3:20 PM, Malaphax said:

There are additional rumors that some of the other playstation exclusives will end up slowly making their way to PC.  Currently because Microsoft is unifying their xbox/pc releases, it's leaving Playstation in a tough situation - do they double down on exclusives to try and sell more hardware? Or do they instead go for more timed exclusives and pick up some people that have no intention of buying a playstation?  They might test with a few semi-major titles like Horizon Zero Dawn before they decide to sell God of War, Uncharted or Last of Us on PC.

Oh hey look it's me from nearly 2 years ago predicting that this would happen. 

God of War is getting a release on PC: https://store.steampowered.com/agecheck/app/1593500/
I enjoyed this game enough that I might buy it on PC and play it again. 

This also ties into the Nvidia Geforce Now leak from a while back where there were a ton of current and unannounced games listed on their database for PC, everyone denied it was anything besides placeholders, obviously that leak was pretty solid.  We'll probably get ghost of tsushima and several other playstation exclusives (the new horizon zero dawn game) after a brief delay of playstation exclusivity.  I'm not sure what Sony will settle on, but I suspect they'll go with something like 1 year on the playstation before dropping a PC release. 

• 2 weeks later...

The new Deep Rock Galactic update is out. 

So far it feels like a good bit of content.  There's a new mission type, some additional events (prospectors/data nodes) and the 4 new weapons.  The season pass seems a bit odd though.  The traditional season pass with levels does provide cosmetics and resources - but there's also the scrip currency and the cosmetic tree as well.  The tree gives you more agency when picking certain cosmetics but it feels odd to have both. 

New weapons seem cool, the scout plasma carbine is kinda interesting but it feels a bit on the weaker side right now.  Some of the base upgrade tree seems more impactful, which is nice.  I haven't used the new engineer weapon yet but I've seen a few people using it and it seems interesting, one of the more unique weapons for sure. 
At this point I'm just resource starved in game trying to fully unlock the weapon trees and overclocks as they come through. 

If this is the type of updates we can expect on a 3-4 month basis, then I think the game will continue to be in a healthy place moving forward. 

• 1 month later...

Basically I am already planning to buy:

• Horizon Dawn
  • Hellblade

Other notes:

• Cuphead - The first game got a lot of positive reviews. Very cool art style but since I never played the first I'm not playing the sequel.
  • Elden Ring - I never got into these games but I'm sure they are cool. Aesthetically cool.
  • Nightinggale - Survival builder thing with Fantasy elements? This feels very similar to other stuff already out I think.
  • Evil West - ok. sure.
  • Star Wars Eclipse - lol wtf
  • Homeworld 3 - Played the demo for Homeworld 1 a very long time ago. THought it was cool. Never went further. I don't even know what the story is supposed to be.

Space Marine 2 I'm hyped for.  I enjoyed the first one, it's absolutely a power fantasy game and its still one of the best renditions of the 40k universe.  Curious about some specifics of this game because reddit is doing some serious reading into the trailer and depending on how that breaks we could see this game set much further in the timeline than much of 40k media.  Not sure what Titus is up to, but I suspect it will be cool. 

Horizon Dawn will eventually come to PC, that seems to be Sony's new trend.  With God of War coming to PC, I think they're just figuring out how long they want to keep it playstation exclusive before porting it.  I suspect they'll settle on the 1 year mark. 

Hellblade was kinda neat, curious what the sequel will do. 

Cuphead was cool, if frustrating at times.  The game is rather difficult.  This is technically DLC for the original, but it's coming so long after the release it's weird. 

Elden Ring is another soulsbourne game, they're cool but I have some personal issues with stamina based systems in games.  I might give this one a try, but I might not. 

Star Wars Eclipse had a weird/cool trailer, but it's a David Cage game, so I'm expecting it's going to end up being a meme-worthy piece of garbage with terrible writing. 

Homeworld 3 I'm hyped for.  I never finished Deserts of Karak, but I did enjoy my playthrough of the remastered homeworld games.  Honestly, I've read they're in even better shape than when they initially launched and they're absolutely worth playing through if you're interested in sci-fi settings or RTS games.  Bonus points: the music and cinematics are genuinely incredible, there's a reason why people still to this day reference at least one of them. 
It went on sale for $3.49 last steam sale - which is practically free - pick it up next sale if you're even remotely interested. 

• 4 weeks later...