Tactically Inept

Vanity Plates

Jedi2155

source - http://www.autoblog.com/2012/03/29/back-in...e-style-plates/

California Assemblyman Mike Gatto has introduced Bill 1658, which could eventually return three kinds of vintage license plates to California roads: yellow and black plates from the mid 1950s, black and yellow plates from the 1960s ? such as the sample 1963 plate pictured ? and blue and yellow plates from the '70s.

The initiative is called the Legacy License Plate Program, but before you collectors and period-correct enthusiasts salivate over ? or lament ? the possibilities, it has a few hurdles to clear. First, the bill has to be passed when its put to a vote on April 9, which is expected. Then it would only come into effect after 2,500 people had signed up for the plates, assuming that the DMV did its math correctly and had enough money to pay for it. Finally, once all of that got checked off, the program would begin in 2014.

Current regulations mean that in California, the license plate has almost always lived with the car since new, so if you see a black plate on a 1966 Corvair, then that tag was minted the same year as that Chevrolet. The plates will be updated to modern standards, e.g., reflective paint, so they won't look just like the old timers, but we figure vintage-minded owners won't be fussed at all.

Yeahhhhhhhhh. I would totally get a black and yellow plate if they came back.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw two Volt's as I pulled into CSUF ~ 9 PM today. It was a new Red/Tan Interior and the old 2011 "L8R GAS" plate guy. I actually met him as he was walking to his Volt as I came in and we chatted for about 10 minutes. His name is Ryan, and is currently a graduate student there. He said he actually push the school to install him a personal charging station for him over by the service center using the free installation grant money provided by the Feds. After that they designed the 6 charging stations on the parking lot due to his ideas. Pretty cool....I need to tell CSULB to do that.

• 3 weeks later...

I just had another idea:

DAT EV

DAT VOLT

I'm wondering how that guy at CSUF with the L8R GAS got his plate since he leased his Volt as well. General online information says you can't get a plate and my leasing company "Ally" said they can't do it anymore either...

• 6 years later...

Since I'm buying next EV versus leasing, I feel its worth resvisiting this topic.....(for Reference I'm getting a Blue Model 3 LR AWD)

Current contender is:

EV4LIFE (NOT AVAILABLE)

EV 4LYF (AVAILABLE)

3RD EV (AVAILABLE)

NO DRVR (Need to Check)

Funny But No

BLU DA BA

On 7/11/2018 at 4:34 PM, kuhla said:

Why do you want a vanity plate?

Don't have a good answer other than I like the idea of customizing the plate. Its a vanity item which by definition is useless. Same idea as a bumper sticker.

MUSKLUV is pretty good, but I guess thats about it. I enjoy reading other people's vanity plates and generally get a good chuckle so I don't have your guys perspectives on cringiness. I guess I should keep this conversation out of here.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...