Tactically Inept

Fashion & Beauty Thread

kuhla

I am THIS close to just saying screw it and violating the "no athletic shoes when not doing athletic activities" fashion rule I have read many places and just buying some athletic 24/7 shoes again (these to be specific*). I simply cannot find anything else I'm happy with.

*I was going to put a link here but apparently the shoes I like have been discontinued and are not available anywhere anymore in the size I want. Inventory is just running out with no replacements. Dammit. It was this see the first 2-3 results. Dammit again.

Now I have to start over....

There is a small impetus to do this sooner, rather than later because my current shoes are starting to show some wear with small holes starting to form in the fabric. Probably from heavy use (everyday for everything and the gym).

EDIT 9-11-12: hallelujah they have it back in stock......

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hm, you can wear sneakers with pretty much anything-- in exception to formal dress.

I'm not sure who made that fashion rule (no athletic shoes when not doing athletic activities) but that's probably for a certain crowd.

Athletic shoes are comfortable, functional, and these days quite fashionable.

Now for girls, sneakers don't really work unless she is wearing shorts or jeans. Dresses +sneakers == horrible fashion sense.

So, if you had a gf or wife, you would be okay with wearing sneaker paired with your outfit? If it's all for the ladies-- if she cared about that enough not to date you, she's not worth it. If it was out on a date, yeah, I'd say dress up a little-- depending on where you are taking her.

Besides, if you're not in the market, go for the style that suits your fancy.

Fashion is really what you make of it. I see tons of guys in jeans and flip flops all the time. Trendy-- yes. Practical no. There is no foot protection.

... left this screen on for hours.. lost train of thought.

So if I see some guy and think "wow he looks sharp/good/tasteful", I can't simply want that for myself? I have to be motivated by some more base need? It has to be "all for the ladies"? It can't just be for me? So as a woman, is what you wear just for the guys?

I have talked to lots of women, and RARELY is what they wear for the guys. Most of the time, its for other women actually since women are far more judging then men. I've been told this by at least 3 other women. While my original reasoning for wearing nice clothes was to attract the opposite sex, I've grown past that, and realized that I actually like looking good on my own. Not just because I like it on my own, but rather I want to continue looking good for my lady, even when I don't care what she thinks anymore. So its both for myself and her because looking good just feels good.

I'm not saying you have to wear it to attract someone. I said wear what suits your fancy.

Personally, I wear what I deem presentable or suitable to the needs of the occasion. I love sneakers but I find flip flops/sandals faster to put on and kick off.

Jeans. Thigh problems. Skinny and slim fit are full out. Relaxed and loose fit are my only options. Boot cut seems to be controversial. Some people like it and some don't. I'm seeing some recommendations for Levi 569 Loose Straight and 562 Loose Taper for people with thigh fit issues. I may check them out.

Tried some 569s this morning and LOL NO. Standing up straight, I couldn't even pinch any fabric around my thighs. Way too tight.

Dress shirt size confirmed: Neck 16.5-17, Arm 34-35 more 35 than 34. Fitted > Classic/Regular.

I agree with quality over quantity. I bought a pair of Ferragamo shoes and with care, it has lasted the past 4 years perfectly. Solid leather and classic look that will never go out of style. Initial cost did make me wince though.

Old money or not, it's important to be prudent with money.

• 4 weeks later...

Golly, $100+ for a pair of jeans!?! I won't spend more than $35 for a pair of decent jeans. Call me cheap but I can find much better alternatives clothing for a fraction of the price.

Some people just like to splurge...needlessly. Sometimes you just really like a pair of clothes. In the end, I always value everything, not in terms of material/cost ratio. I based on my purchasing decisions on benefit/cost ratio. Benefit being a non-comparable value as there are many non quantifiable psychological factors associate with it.

• 3 months later...

The only times I can wear whatever I want is on Saturday. (I have to dress appropriately for church on Sunday)

I want to go into "no care" mode and wear baggy pants. Only problem is-- to pull off the baggy pants, I need to wear a tight top and I am in no shape to wear anything tight... -_-"